Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
Assuming you are serious...the Nomad is fine but I prefer my '08 RFX hands down for a do-it-all bike. Pedaling was fine with the Nomad and is fine with the RFX, but I feel more solid in the corners and more connected to the bike and trail on the RFX. I didn't hate the Nomad, but just felt like (and this probably sounds dumb) the Nomad didn't add anything to the equation. Didn't really detract anything from the fun, but was kind of boring and didn't feel like it "wanted" to be ridden fast.

I'm a bigger guy (6'3" @ 250-260) and the Nomad's rear end wasn't as stiff as I'd want. The RFX is fine. It can be thrown into corners and just rail. I've had it built up from 31 pounds (and a little bit) to 36 pounds for shuttle days. It's taken everything I've thrown at it so far.

Plus, Turner's customer service is so far beyond SC's it's a joke.

Have fun shopping.

Brock...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too was in the same pickle before buying my 08 RFX...here are my thoughts

Both bikes get rave reviews, the only consistent complaint I've heard on the nomad was setup - they supposedly fixed it for '09, but I have regularly heard with the VPP that it was difficult to get just right. You have to try hard to find negative comments on the RFX with any merit

Turner's are made in a shop in Oregon while SC's are made in Taiwan - I'm the only Turner rider in my regular riding group (3 SC Hecklers and me with an RFX). Customer service from what I can gather isn't very good at SC...they kinda get to ya when they get to you. If you need any warranty replacements (whole frame, rear triangle, etc), good luck if you get anything sooner that 2-3months. Same if you order a frame and the color/size you want isn't in stock, you could be in for a wait.

I can call Turner directly and I can have my questions answered immediately and everyone on this forum has a great story of Turner going above and beyond to take care of them with replacement parts, etc. They're quick about answering emails too.

Dave Turner himself is often on this forum posting and checking things out... Their crash replacement and trade in policy is also tops.

Then I got the bike and rode it...the RFX climbs EXTREMELY well for a 6"+ travel bike, even with a coil shock...I started as a hardtail XC then 3" travel XC rider years ago and I can tell the bike's heavier, but I definitely cannot feel all of the additional weight, my built up RFX is about 5 or more pounds heavier than my previous XC rig, but it doesn't feel like nearly that big of a difference...it feels super stiff on the climbs and suprisingly nimble (it's also easy to wheelie on a sprint, as I accidentally found out). Turn the bike downhill and she rips.

There's a reason Turner has such loyal customers - excellent ride on their bikes and excellent customer service

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Unfortunately, as great as the RFX is they are sold out until the new DW model comes out some time in later 2009. However if you want to choose between two bikes I'd take a look at the Commencal Meta 6 vs the Nomad. I've owned an RFX, ridden a number of Nomads, and now own a Meta 6 and it is a great all-mountain bike.

My favorite thing about the Meta 6 is the handling and the geometry. It has a slack 67 degree HA that is adjustable, a low 13.4" BB, and short 16.7" chainstay. I'm really hoping the new RFX takes some geometry numbers from the Meta 6. Having ridden Commencals before I new it would rip on the DH, but what really surprised me about the Meta 6 was how great it climbs on anything from smooth fast too really rocky. It does have a bit more pedal feedback than the RFX whick I actually prefer. This keeps it climbing fast on the smooth and allows your to lunge up the rocky stuff.

Heres a pic of one:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Or you could look a DWL Spot! Some are putting Talas 36 forks up front [its rated for that], 55 would be good too, they say it rides like it has more travel in the rear, the anti squat will help it ride better with a big fork better balance for pedaling still have ta if needed!

Be a great ride till the RFX comes about upgrade if needed! Spots have no problem moving on!

or

There is no problem fining an Second hand 08 RFX many are doing the above and selling there RFX in the mean time!, do some searches! Through the forum, 1Soulrider has a great writeup on his ride, hes' a DH racer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You ought to be able to find a new RFX out there somewhere. If not, get one used as they last forever (seriously).

(Fo giving his input on the Nomad vs. RFX thread in the SC forum - outstanding material!)

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
i'd have to disagree - the Nicolai is fabricated and hollow welded like no other.
a true engineering work of art.
for sure, i still love the Turner ethos, but for build quality, I sincerely suspect Nicolai have DT pipped currently. and the Helius AM is a better trail bike than the RFX, depending on what you expect from a 6" travel trail tool......
Is that sacrilege ?

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,369 Posts
Not sacrilege at all. I agree that they're very well constructed bikes and I have nothing against them. It's just basic mechanics. No welding, no matter how good, is going to fix the fact that that is a very long lever arm. I've owned to different Mac Strut bikes and they both had horrendous torsional flex problems. Maybe Karl has figured out a different type of tubing that can address that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had a similar dilema, although it was between an RFX and a Ventana Terremotto. Based on the huge price differential, I chose the RFX and was able to get one last week. Once the holidays are over, I'll begin building her. As I currently ride a 4" Ventana Salty, I'll be building the RFX with a bend for DH / Agressive AM. Most likely to include Talas 36, King rear hub w/ Fun Bolts, DT 5.1d rims, Magura Louise BAT or k-24 Formula brakes & SLX 36/22 crank.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
ImaKlyde said:
I'm a bigger guy (6'3" @ 250-260) and the Nomad's rear end wasn't as stiff as I'd want. The RFX is fine. It can be thrown into corners and just rail. I've had it built up from 31 pounds (and a little bit) to 36 pounds for shuttle days. It's taken everything I've thrown at it so far.
I will echo your sentiments. I'm in your weight zipcode and am extremely impressed with how stiff the RFX is. I cannot seem to get the rear end to flex at all under my 250#. Handling is super, the RFX does well in the corners, and is an easy bike to get your weight back on when pointed downhill. It loves to go fast.

LOUB83, I never liked the older Nomad because the TT seemed too short, but the newer version seems to have fixed that. I hear SC also addressed the creaking pivot issue on the new design. The Nomad seems like a really nice bike and it would have been on my shortlist had I not had such good results with my previous two Turners. Clearly you need to test ride both and go with the bike that feels and works best for your terrain. Good luck.
toHELLuRIDE said:
Then isn't a Turner TNT just a Kona w/bushings?
Funny and ironic at the same time; I like that. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.