Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever ridden both the Turner RFX and the Kona Coilair? On paper, the geometry looks very similar, and they are similarly equipped.

I'm very interested in any personal ride experiences on the 2 (not really interested in how bushings are better than bearings, or how TNT is better than HL, etc.).

The Coilair sells for 4000 beans - quite a bit less than a Turner (on paper only, thanks to eBay). I ride a Spot and I am weak... it rides so well and keeps egging me on. Plus the Van 36 looks so... er.. must stop now.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
techFiend said:
Has anyone ever ridden both the Turner RFX and the Kona Coilair? On paper, the geometry looks very similar, and they are similarly equipped.

I'm very interested in any personal ride experiences on the 2 (not really interested in how bushings are better than bearings, or how TNT is better than HL, etc.).

The Coilair sells for 4000 beans - quite a bit less than a Turner (on paper only, thanks to eBay). I ride a Spot and I am weak... it rides so well and keeps egging me on. Plus the Van 36 looks so... er.. must stop now.
I can't provide any input on how they ride, but I just wanted to address the cost end of things. A RFX can easily be purchased for $4000. That's with XT/LX/Hone combo drivetrain, Mavic 325 rims/Shimano Saint & Hone hubs, Easton cockpit, Hayes HFX-9 brakes, Fox Van 36R fork, etc. Try this link. If you do slighty more budget components you could likely get it down another few hundred dollars.

Irrespective of the ride performance of each bike, IMO it's worth going with the Turner because of the customer service. I've only had my RFX frame for two days and I've already experienced their exemplary service first-hand. But that's a whole other story.

FWIW, I do own frames made by both manufacturers.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The Anti Turner folks will tell you that a Kona and Turner are the same bikes, because they are both faux designs. Don't listen. Try both and decide for yourself. You will see upon close inspection, that the bikes are quite different.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
They easily could ride similarly. When I demoed the Titus Supermoto (with the 5.5" links and air shock) it was nearly indistiguishable from a 5-Spot in handling and suspension characteristics. The Cove Hustler also had a very Turneresque ride. The Ventana X5 was fairly different though, despite the numbers being similar to the Spot.

Hard to generalize... go ride the Kona and report back to us.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
heres my take. kona builds a great product. turner builds a outstanding product, maybe the best. think long term ownership, durability, service, resale, etc and then ride both. the decision should come easy after that no matter the direction ya go in.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Honestly, I think either bike would ride nice. If possible, I'd see how both bikes ride and look at bike fit for your body / riding style and make your decision based on that.

As Patrick said, I think you could build a RFX for $4k (much cheaper if you found a used frame). Also, I think you could get a Coilair for cheaper if you were to look around. The build might make the difference one way or the other.

Turner is a smaller company with great quality and DT is a hand's on dude, so you'll get some of the best service there is if something comes up. I think I ride with 5 Turner guys these days and they all love their bikes and have been trouble-free and plenty durable (also one of the hallmarks of Kona). Most folks talk about Turner's execution of the small details making the difference on why their bikes ride so well. While I've been mt. biking a while, I'm fairly limited in my ownership experience, but most of the Homers have had bikes from many manufacturers so they certainly didn't come to this opinion without some previous personal experience. If you wanted to make a change later, the resale value of a RFX would be MUCH better as they hold their value....

I own two Kona's that have been trouble free (other than a broken chainstay due to really dumb stuff on my part - taken care of immediately). I'd say I ride them pretty hard so I'm a good judge of durability and they've been stellar there. Both are older bikes and ride better with the latest versions of shocks (both of mine are pushed, actually). My '02 Stinky is close to the Coilair design - just with heavier tubing (think old school RFX vs. new) and slightly shorter TT and still rides great after years of abuse. No bearing horror stories for me, personally, and I ride in the wet PNW conditions 1/2 the year.

Also, if it's important to you......the online Turner community is the best resource for tech advice there is and even DT is here from time to time.....hence, my lurking. I doubt you'd ever see Jake Heilbron on the Kona board - although they do have Joe who is on there quite a bit and helped me out when I broke a chainstay on my Bear. Still, it's not nearly the wealth of knowledge or passion that you have over here. One gripe is that I'm a DIY'er and Kona doesn't really support that as much with their documentation / information they give to their owners.....it's usually "take it to the dealer". :confused:

Cheers,
EBX

P.S. Totally unrelated to the"which bike is better" for you conversation. Kona is pretty active with trail advocacy handing out small grants to several local bike clubs every year. Mark Peterson, their advocacy dude, is also the president of one of our local bike clubs (WHIMPS in Bellingham - near Kona's office) and they're helping do some progressive stuff on Galbraith Mt. developing legal FR trails. I guess if I'm going to support a bigger company, that does have some weight for me. (FYI, I have no affiliation with Kona, nor know Mark personally). :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.