Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
RobsterCraw said:
OK, I've been looking into 6 packs and the term RFX keeps coming up, what is this? What is the RFX, is it the same as the 6 pack but just a different name? SOmeone please explain.
RFX was Turners original 6" FR bike (you could also get 5" rockers for it). Not too many were made or sold, and the RFX was discontinued in 2002. The RFX was ahead of it's time.

After the RFX was discontinued, demand & resale value skyrocketed. So turner released the 6-pack, which was basically a lighter, updated RFX. But now are re-thinking the name, the website still says sixpack, but the magazine ads call it the RFX and others are calling it the RF6. (?)

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
and its also the new 6 pack. dt just renamed it a cpl weeks ago. confused yet? lets see if i can help confuse ya more. the original rfx was made 98 (?) through '02, replaced by the pack, now called the rfx again by turner, but for a short time rf6 was considered, all the homers still call it the pack but sometimes refer to it as the rfx or rf6 depending on mood or alchohol intake.

oh but wait, theres more. some folks have morphed pack and spot bits together creating 5 packs and 6 spots. theres even one moron whos done this with a old rfx/pack/spot therefore building a 6 pack and a nickle bag. i wont even get into all the rocker possibilities out there.

and yes, there will be a test.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
BTW- what is the more heavy duty bikr? The original RFX or the new RFX/Six Pack?
The '02 RFX had the same head tube as the DHR, along with straight-gauge top and down tubes. 9.5lbs, but mine seems to be dent-proof.

The 'pack is better suited to trail riding and is plenty strong, but the rfx does have extra material to withstand greater abuse.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Well, an interesting comparison would be to set them up with identical shocks to get the true weight differential.

I'm also wondering about how much technology has made bikes better. Lighter, in this case. Undoubtedly, DT has learned much since the days of the old RFX and computer technology, FEA, and real world testing is vastly improved, so perhaps the somewhat significant weight loss isn't followed by an as significant loss in strength?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
I'm also wondering about how much technology has made bikes better. Lighter, in this case. Undoubtedly, DT has learned much since the days of the old RFX and computer technology, FEA, and real world testing is vastly improved, so perhaps the somewhat significant weight loss isn't followed by an as significant loss in strength?
My guess is the 'pack is plenty strong but not as dent-proof, mainly in the middle of the tubes between the butts. I guess it's a moot point since people aren't breaking either bike.

Theres no doubt the pack makes a better trail bike.

For free-ride stuff, weight is absolutely not a concern though. There are some other tricks the RFX has up it's sleeve too- lower standover, the ability to get 6.75" travel from a 7.5x2.0 shock, and the steeper, thicker head tube is a good match to 7" forks, and more clearance for '06 66 fork crowns beneath the DT. Also the 5" rockers & geometry change you don't get on a 5-pack.

My RFX will be 7+7" this year, with that kind of travel and the way I use my RFX I think 9.5lbs is a perfect weight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.