Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a layout with geometry for the rocker plates of a 6" RFX? I want to see how it differs from the 5" plates. If nothing else, can someone measure the distance between (center to center) between the pivot at the seatstays and the main pivot as well as the main pivot to the top stock eyelet? Please help. I want to see how geometry and such is changed.

Bryan

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Here are some pictures I had taken a while back, for another thread. The 5" rockers are on my bike. The 5" and 6" rockers are identical, except the 6" rockers are two inches longer on the seatstay end. My bottom bracket dropped 1.25" with the 5" rockers, to 13.5" with 2.4ish tires.

Since the leverage ratio drops, I ended up going down 100# in spring weight. The bike rides just as plush on small stuff, just not as much travel on big hits although I am now running the 5" rockers with a 2.25" stroke vanilla RC, which gives me 5.6" travel with the 13.5" BB. This is my favorite set up, of all I have tried.

I can be pursuaded to provide more info if you need it. ;)

Lucky7 said:
Does anyone have a layout with geometry for the rocker plates of a 6" RFX? I want to see how it differs from the 5" plates. If nothing else, can someone measure the distance between (center to center) between the pivot at the seatstays and the main pivot as well as the main pivot to the top stock eyelet? Please help. I want to see how geometry and such is changed.

Bryan

Attachments

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
This has been posted. Do an advanced search using FM's handle, and use the words "rocker RFX" or similar.

EDIT: Never mind, FM showed up in person...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks FM! I will so some more measuring when I get home tonight and post if I need anything else. Thanks again, I love this board!

Bryan

·
Registered
943 Posts
FM said:
Here are some pictures I had taken a while back, for another thread. The 5" rockers are on my bike. The 5" and 6" rockers are identical, except the 6" rockers are two inches longer on the seatstay end. My bottom bracket dropped 1.25" with the 5" rockers, to 13.5" with 2.4ish tires.

Since the leverage ratio drops, I ended up going down 100# in spring weight. The bike rides just as plush on small stuff, just not as much travel on big hits although I am now running the 5" rockers with a 2.25" stroke vanilla RC, which gives me 5.6" travel with the 13.5" BB. This is my favorite set up, of all I have tried.

I can be pursuaded to provide more info if you need it. ;)
Damn!!! I've got two sets of rockers for my RFX, the 5" it came with (it's an '01) and a set of 6" I bought afterwards, there sure isn't two inches difference between them in length.
If I place them on top of one another (lining up shock & main pivot) the only thing I notice is that the seat stay pivot location is an inch lower on the new rocker than the old.

Maybe I'll take a pic of the two together and post up .... nice to hear the 2.25" stroke is working for you, it's something I've been thinking of as well.

Clem

·
Registered
178 Posts
2.25 stroke

FM, I see you have your 2.25 shock set up working for you..... so, you are relying on the bottom out bumper to prevent the yoke from contacting the frame? have you bottomed out yet? any contact?

On the RFX mods post a few weeks back, I talked about having my DHS reduced to 2.0 to insure clearance, Craig at Avy recommended sticking with the 2.25 stroke........so I did. I don't have the shock back yet, but want to give the 5" rockers w/ 2.25 a try. Will post more on this next week.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Hubbaman, that is too weird about your rockers. I would love to see a picture. I can't help but wonder if DT is chuckling as he watches us try to figure out why no two RFX's seem to be the same! :confused:

So.... I got my 2.25 RC back from Push last tuesday night, with plans to head for moab the following day. Real quick, I threw it on with no spring to see how close it came to contact, under full body weight +. Yeeowch! Pretty close as you can see! But, no actual contact. This was with the IRC Kujo DH tubeles 2.35. So, the first day in moab (amasa back) I went fairly easy and no big hucks. However, the shock felt wicked on the downhill, hitting all the drops.... definately a bit more travel, and the 450# spring seemed perfect. By the end of the trip I was loving it. With the right spring and bottom out bumper, I dont think contact is going to be a problem. Moab ended up being a great place to test things out. Now I have no worries! :cool:

As to the Rp3 vs. the pushed 2.25 Vanilla RC: The vanilla seems to ride higher in it's stroke, generally have more compression damping / less squat & bob, and definately provides more travel. The Rp3 felt better and chatter and small hits, the Vanilla feels better on big hits & while climbing. Both great shocks, but the RC fits my needs better so it stays. My Rp3 is off to AK Chris.

mike67 said:
FM, I see you have your 2.25 shock set up working for you..... so, you are relying on the bottom out bumper to prevent the yoke from contacting the frame? have you bottomed out yet? any contact?

On the RFX mods post a few weeks back, I talked about having my DHS reduced to 2.0 to insure clearance, Craig at Avy recommended sticking with the 2.25 stroke........so I did. I don't have the shock back yet, but want to give the 5" rockers w/ 2.25 a try. Will post more on this next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too would love to see a picture of HubbaMan's rocker plates. I am trying to figure out a way to get custom rocker plates made so that I can run an Avalanche Chubbie rear shock with 2.25" stroke. I took the spring off of my Vanilla RC last night to check clearance on my medium frame and it looks like it will work. I went through extra precautions since my DHX didn't fit. As soon as I figure out a way to make my plates, the Avalanche is getting ordered, the DHX will be on its way out (maybe to someone with a Large frame) and hopefully my shock experimenting will be set. I also will try to get rid of other shocks to get an RP3...cause what do you do once you've gotten what's supposedly the best set-up? Start tinkering some more :D

Bryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
have you tried the fit with the 6in rochers...i have a 02 rfx with the stock RC. i took the spring out and checked mine and there is 2in between the yolk and the seat collar

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I haven't tried it- but I'm sure I will at some point!

Some people say it won't work, but others have done it. Hard to say, since it seems like there are a few different RFX rocker/ frame designs out there. But i know that Macrider and T66 have done it with Avy shocks, Avy says it will work. Bulldog seemed to think thattire clearance could be an issue.

My motive was just to get a lower BB, and then I ended up liking the slacker angles better too....

apbt said:
have you tried the fit with the 6in rochers...i have a 02 rfx with the stock RC. i took the spring out and checked mine and there is 2in between the yolk and the seat collar

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just ran into the issue of, when compressing the Vanilla RC completely, the rear tire comes in contact with the front derailleur cable housing behind the seat tube and looks like it will come dangerously close to the front cable stop (the housing sticks out just a little bit farther because of the loop it makes). It actually goes through all of the stroke of the shock without a problem, it's that last .4" or so that the "bottom out" bumper would compress under an extreme hit.

Bryan

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
It does look scary tight without the spring on. I also had the cable housing rubbing on the tire...mainly I was worried that the seatstay bridge might slam into the seat tube. I was a little nervous about it on the first ride, I felt it would be wise to work up slowly in order to make sure that I woudn't get bucked at full compression. Turned out to be a non-issue though, by the end of the trip I was confidently hucking. I felt the bottom out bumper get squeezed once on a drop to flat.... it felt... good! No metal on metal or tire buzzing. Just nice, full travel.

Just make sure you run the correct spring and bottom out bumper, and you should be fine (at least with 5" rockers, I can't say about the 6" yet!)

Lucky7 said:
I just ran into the issue of, when compressing the Vanilla RC completely, the rear tire comes in contact with the front derailleur cable housing behind the seat tube and looks like it will come dangerously close to the front cable stop (the housing sticks out just a little bit farther because of the loop it makes). It actually goes through all of the stroke of the shock without a problem, it's that last .4" or so that the "bottom out" bumper would compress under an extreme hit.

Bryan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks FM. By the way, what year is your RFX? I didn't check with my 6" plates, but the 7" ones give plenty of clearance at the seatstay yoke (like an inch or more). I think I'm just going to run the risk and order the Avalanche after talking to my machine shop and see how close it gets to the seat tube. The other thing is, I don't know that I've ever even gotten to the bottom out bumper yet.....I figure if there's two inches of shock stroke(including the bumper) that leaves about 1.75" of stroke before the bumper comes into play. If I get the longer stroke 2.25", I figure that will mean more usable travel (usable travel defined as travel without the bottom out bumper slowing down the stroke). Oh, if only this was a ShowTime Rotissiere oven..."just set it and forget it"

Anybody else have pics of their rocker plates?

Bryan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, does anyone know if Turners "ramp" up at the end of their travel? I don't know if it's more off a linear stroke or progressive.

·
Registered
943 Posts
here are my rockers

Rocker A came with my '01 RFX and it was listed as a 5" travel frame. Rocker B was bought after the fact as a 6" rocker.
As you can see there is no length difference between the two, both are 10" long. The 6" rocker definitely raises the bike but I've always questioned the increase in travel distance as the arc seems almost identical to the lower travel rocker so I figured more bb clearance but not necessarily more tavel ....

Let me know your thoughts, I might contact Turner with these pics and find out if they can shed any light.

Clem

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hubbaman

That's a strange one for sure... it looks to me that they are both 6" travel plates. I have a set of 2001 5" & 6" plates, and a set of 2002 6" plates, and there is a noticable difference in length between the them (5" & 6"). I remember reading that the plates went through some design changes throught the years, but logic tells me that a 5" plate will be shorter that a 6" plate regardless of the year. There are a few differences between my 2001 6" and 2002 6" plates, but they are very minor. I'll try to post some pics of them on Monday.

IMO, you have an older 6" plate and a newer one.

M67

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I think you're totally dead on here. The "no spring" test is a good safety check, but in reality if you are bottoming your shock that hard, you spring is WAY too soft and you're already doing damage. With the right spring, it's a non-issue- after a few good hard rides in Moab, I'm convinced of that. I did feel the extra travel too.

My RFX is a medium 2002, btw.

Lucky7 said:
I don't know that I've ever even gotten to the bottom out bumper yet.....I figure if there's two inches of shock stroke(including the bumper) that leaves about 1.75" of stroke before the bumper comes into play. If I get the longer stroke 2.25", I figure that will mean more usable travel (usable travel defined as travel without the bottom out bumper slowing down the stroke).
Hubbaman, that is too weird about your rockers. The newer 6" ones look exactly like mine, but the 5" ones are totally differrent than my 5" rockers. The lower pivot would affect your geometry and perhaps increase leverage, but besides that I don't see how it would provide more travel? I have no idea though....DT?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Hubba, you definitely have two 6" plates there. You probably thought you had a 5" installed and so asked for a 6" aftermarket, and that's what you got. You are lucky since people now are searching hard for those (terminaut, etc).

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
6x2

Those are both 6 ers for sure. They yield different BB heights so have fun playing with that. When you get the height you like, sell the other. We have no more here.

DT

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
turnerbikes said:
Those are both 6 ers for sure. They yield different BB heights so have fun playing with that. When you get the height you like, sell the other. We have no more here.

DT
Dibs on the lower BB ones if you want to sell them HubbaMan.

Thanks DT.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts