Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...finally got around to re-setting my RFX for its true intended purpose. Gone are the air shocks and on are the coils. Romic rear, Z150 front. Much thanks to Larry M for turning around the Zoke tune so quickly.

First ride impression: set up with my 6" rockers in the rear and the Z150 this is a TALL bike. BB height unweighted is a nosebleeding 14.75" running a Conti Vert Protection 2.3" in the rear and a WTB Motoraptor 2.4" in the front. Thankfully my fat culo brought the whole thing roughly 1.25"+ when all is properly sagged.

Being as my primary steed of late has been my roadie or my SSed, fully turgid Karate Monkey this was a luxury cruise indeed. Never needed granny, in fact, manana I'm going back to 1x8, but it was definitely sit&spin style riding again. Out of the saddle attacks just left me wallowing in gushing travel. Nice.

The fork is a pig, but it is so smooth and burly. Actually didn't feel any taller or overwhelming weight-wise than the Z1QR20 I had on the bike before I began experimenting with air forks. Part of this was the fact that I offset the HA impact of the taller fork by jacking the rear from 5" to 6" of travel. Even riding on my tame MN XC trails the bike actually was able to carve a turn vs. pushing the front end. I did notice the height on stunts as the increase in my CoG from my KM became very apparent, especially at slower speeds. That will take some getting used to.

Overall, I really like it. I have no idea what it weighs...maybe 36-38# for a 19.5"(L) frame. That said, it pedals very nice. I may move the Motoraptor to the rear and but a Fire FR in the front for more bite.

Even with the chubby fork, the front end is easy to loft about while not coming unglued when the trail steepens upwards.

Oh yeah, that is not a Ti spring. That is a red Romic 750#x2" spring that has been hit with some excess Rustoleum "Hammered" silver paint from some yardwork I was doing. Never liked that red anyway...

Sean

Attachments

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
917 Posts
Very nice.............. :cool:
I have a similar set up and I just love it.
Like you say the fork is a bit on the heavy side specially when you going on long up hills but they make up for that when your going downhill.
Once you get use to it they work quite nicely with 6" on the back.......IMHO

Did you go ahead with the stiffer spring?
Heavier oil?
How much air did you put in for dampening? (Spell?)
What is you setup on the fork?
I believe you had in a previous thread questioning the set up of the fork because of your weight if I am not mistaking........
Just curious...........
Good luck!!!
:D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock springs...

...and 10W oil - I believe...Larry M didn't tell me how much or what type, although I suggested 10W in an email.

I put it somewhere around 15psi/leg in the fork - my shock pump has only 10psi increments so it's a dull blade at best. May shave a bit off as I was not getting full travel. Then again, it rode nicely and didn't suffer from undue brake dive or compression from pedaling inputs, etc.

Apparent, you can't get heavier springs. Something Padre came into on his 29er Zoke fork - he had to retrofit the air caps for that fork too. I may just do the same on my Monkey...different thread, different time.

So far, so good. Going to take in a little "Midwest" DH in October at a ski resort in NE MN. Until then I will be enjoying my magic carpet ride as an alternative to my road and SS riding.

People say overkill...and then I pass them...uphill...pushing 250# fully loaded.

Long live Turner,

Sean

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
How tall are you Sean? I also ride the 19.5", but I only got about 9" of seatpost for straight XC riding, otherwise now for more technical, playful XC I've only got about 6-7" out to allow more body english. And I've never seen a stem that long/huge on an RFX! I run a 90x10 with my Z1, and will switch to a 70x0 (maybe 90x0) with my upcoming Z1 150mm or 66 150mm fork.

That combination makes your large look rather tiny. BTW I'm 6'1" with long arms and normal length legs, but I come from more of a hucking/jumping/playing background than XC.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
6'3"

with ape-ish arms and a 36" "bike" inseam.

Yeah, the stem is long...it was the lone uninstalled one on the bench when I was putting the RFX back together - I believe it's a 135x15!

Switched out for a 100x5 - upside down for a little more effective reach - and my e13 chain guide in 1x8 configuration. Bad pic, but you get the idea. Love the simplicity of no front mech.

For horsing around the saddle definitely drops.

Sean

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.