Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow homers
Well, its back! After a short hiatus, the Rfx has returned. I realized that the Rfx is the best "if you could only have one bike" bike for me. I actually had a 2001 a couple of years ago that now belongs to Mtbrx (hope you're taking good care of her!) I picked up this 2002 from Aosty, and with a trip to Olympic Powdercoating and a DHX air later, its as good as new! I opted for the DT Swiss 5.1 ex rims, and I am very very pleased with them. I weigh 210 with gear (probably 215 now post t day) and they are handling the load very well. Very stiff rims. Incidently, I noticed that a crack had developed on the brake tab of the seatstay, but one phone call later to Greg at Turner, and just like that, all is good. My new seatstay is on its way to Olympic for a coat of Pearl white. What unbelievable customer service.. This is why I love the Turner brand so much (not to mention the kick-ass bikes they produce!!)
Many thanks to Macrider as he is lending me his z1 as I await delivery of my z1 light.
As it sits, she weighs 34.1 lbs.. Very flickable and balanced.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
hambone said:
I picked up this 2002 from Aosty, and with a trip to Olympic Powdercoating and a DHX air later, its as good as new!
Sweet hambone, lets see those pics!

Hey, did you check the clearances on your DHX air? I just got one and did some fit testing with 0psi- looks like the BO knob hits the downtube at full compression (with the BO knob in the middle of it's adjustment range). I couldn't mount it BO knob up because then the PP knob hits the downtube. This is on a 18" '02 RFX.

I guess I could try setting it up with the BO knob cranked all the way in or removed..:confused: :( any tips?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
FM said:

Hey, did you check the clearances on your DHX air? I just got one and did some fit testing with 0psi- looks like the BO knob hits the downtube at full compression (with the BO knob in the middle of it's adjustment range). I couldn't mount it BO knob up because then the PP knob hits the downtube. This is on a 18" '02 RFX.

I guess I could try setting it up with the BO knob cranked all the way in or removed..:confused: :( any tips?
FM; I am willing to help, let's try the shock on my Pack, just to see how it works.:D.Just kidding, that's a bummer. If anyone can make it work it will be you. good luck
turtle

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
im about to have the same issue with my rfx and both the ava and dhxc. dt reccomended a little dremel work to the rockers. he says it wont take much and to start small til its got the clearance it needs. in my case it seems itll be the schrader valve on the ava and possibly the rockers on the top tube. if theres more ill let ya know in a few more days. should be here mid week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FM said:

Interesting.. at 0 psi, I do have clearance, but barely.. this is a large 2002.5 (20") or so I'm told by Aosty. But speaking about the DHX air, I absolutely love it. No
"clunking" like on my Dhx coil on my old vp free, great sensitivity to small hits, and great performance on larger drops.. Pretty happy so far, but time will be the true test!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cactuscorn said:
im about to have the same issue with my rfx and both the ava and dhxc. dt reccomended a little dremel work to the rockers. he says it wont take much and to start small til its got the clearance it needs. in my case it seems itll be the schrader valve on the ava and possibly the rockers on the top tube. if theres more ill let ya know in a few more days. should be here mid week.
here's a guide for ya!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cactuscorn said:
is that a 66 up front? just got a 66 rc for my rfx and im interested in some feedback.

congrats on the face lift. the bike looks great!
Hey thanks CC! naw, that's an 05 z1 compliments of macrider. Thought about going with the 66, but then I thought... what the heck's the point of selling the vp free? I wanted one do-it-all ride.. and I think that I may have found it.I can ride everything that I rode the vp free on, with just a bit more selective line choosing.. but thats what makes it fun, right?

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Super sweet ride, love the paint!

I was riding recently and started talking with some strangers about bikes & the RFX. One of the guys says, "you know, thats the best bike turner ever made." A bold statement, but true for a lot of us!

On the shock: I guess it makes sense that the longer front end of your 20.5 makes for a little more clearance. I may be able to get mine to fit with the BO knob turned in some more, but I'd need to modify my rockers before I know for sure- I'd hate to file them, only to find that the shock won't work. I'll do some experimenting and post pics later.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hambone, you had a VP Free?

hambone said:
Hey thanks CC! naw, that's an 05 z1 compliments of macrider. Thought about going with the 66, but then I thought... what the heck's the point of selling the vp free? I wanted one do-it-all ride.. and I think that I may have found it.I can ride everything that I rode the vp free on, with just a bit more selective line choosing.. but thats what makes it fun, right?
What's the chances? My "other" bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mtnbikerx said:
What's the chances? My "other" bike:
Yeah, had a large free, it was beautiful. 888 works 200, hadley rear, that was one fun ride...
but I wasn't riding it to its potential, and figured it was time for it and the intense 5.5 to go, to be replaced with the rfx. Not to mention that I'm gonna be a dad any time now, so no time for 2 bikes... In fact, I one point I decided that I didn't need ANY bikes... DUH! that lasted about a week......That vpx is sweet.. So you like it better than the RFX>?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Please show us a close up of the Moots ti bar that you had powdercoated white. Do you by any chance drive a 1987 white on white VW Cabriolet? Can you rdie this weekend? Or are you busy having babies?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
haha!
lets ride tomorrow! Call in sick and lets go! I'm picking up my WHITE marz z1 light this afternoon.... AND getting my rims painted WHITE to match. Ah, I do miss my vdub! Those crazy nights with the top down......

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.