Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been entertaining the thought of getting rid of my Yeti 575 and ASX and getting something between the two. The RFX seems to fit the bill exactly but, after lurking for a while I've come up with some questions. Can ya hook me up?

I noticed most of you have coil shocks and the frame comes with an rp23 why didn't you stick with the rp23 or go with a dhx air?

What is the shock length and stroke?

How much of an up charge is the custom powder coat option?

Can you actually use the water bottle mounts inside the triangle on a small frame?(thinking light battery)

How much growth does the suspension have? I plan on running 2X9 and was wondering if a mid cage derailleur would work.

Thats it for now Thanks, Drew

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Pre-07 RFXs (called 6-Packs) shipped with DHX coils. Few 07s are in circulation, so you are probably thinking of the older bikes which shipped with coils. The DHX Air can work, but the older bikes had 3.1:1 average leverage ratios which required pretty high pressures with the large volume air cans on the DHX airs.

Pre-07 bikes used 7.5x2.0 shocks and the current RFXs use 7.875x2.25 shocks.

I think Turner quotes the upcharge for PC on the website. $150 rings a bell...

Yes, you can use the bottle cage on small frames. A piggyback shock has been known to overlap the back of the bottle on some frames, but I think this was in the past and probably not an issue now. Not positive on that last point.

I think the chain growth is about 0.5". I run 2x9 and use the big-big plus 2 links chain length formula and it works fine. I run a medium cage rear der also.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
cheesey nailed the shock thing but hes like the rain man with bike info, just less goofy. (i interveiwed kim peek on fri. one of the best days ive had at work since started this job)

the ft tri is pretty tight on the mediums and a small bottle just fits... barely. same with my battery, also in a small bottle. if this is a issue, id simply get a diff style battery rather than a diff frame.

thinkin the custom color charge is a full bill.

yer gonna love yer new rfx. took mine on a rippin ride today and plan the same tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys that helps quite a bit actually

FM said:
Go to a helmet mount- it's better for technical riding anyways! So you can see around switchbacks and stuff....
Why settle for just one light when you can have two?

I have more money than sense that is why I'm always broke!

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
If your question about shock choice is based on my bike pics posted in the 07 RFX thread, then you need to understand that originally I think DT was going to spec the 07's wtih DHX airs. I think the feedback he got was that the RP23 was a superior shock for this application. I was not happy with the stock DHXair that mine came with, so I opted for the coil over being a bigger rider at 225lbs. Unfortunately I have not had the chance to try out the RP23 on this new frame, but the feedback from other riders has been very good thus far. My RFX is built up on the porky side, coming in at 38lbs. If you are going to use this bike as your do it all bike, it is not unreasonable to think you could build yours up to come in at 32-34 lbs, and still have a build that can be abused pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts