Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I had some questions about the pivots on my 2001 RFX. I was just gonna call Turner and ask them but they are done for the day or something cause I got the answering machine.

1. The bike has the 5mm allen head bolts at the main pivots and they seem to be kinda on the verge of stripping so I was thinking about getting the bolts with the torx heads. Do I have to also switch the pivot shaft too or can I get just the bolts?

2. the non-drive side horst link pivot has developed a little side to side play. I checked the tightness of the bolts and nut and they are snug. I added some grease to the pivot but it still has some play. Should I call Turner and order a new bushings for that side only, both sides, or are there any secrets that I should know about. BTW this same thing happened on my Quasi and I found the bushings very easy to replace so if that is the advice then I'm fine with that. How expensive are they from Turner?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
1. Yes, the Torx head bolts will thread right in. They are the same as the old ones except for the wrench engagement flavor.

2. Side-side play? How much? You may just be able to snug the bolt down a little more. The H-links are a clevis joint. That means they act like a fork holding the shaft tight between the arms of the clevis using the pass-through bolt. What you are describing means that the thrust washers (the "brim" of the "top hat" shaped igus bushings) has worn significantly, so the rear dropout can slide from side to side along the shaft/clevis assembly. You will likely have to pop some new bushings in if that is the case. I think a complete bike bushing kit runs about $45-50 for all pivots on the bike: 3 main shafts, 2 Horst link shafts, o-rings, bushings, and bolts all around. You would have to ask Turner if they would just sell you the bits for one pivot, but then why not get the whole kit and just have it on hand for the future? Any Turner dealer can get the pivot kits. If I were home I'd be happy to end you a few parts since I have piles, but I won't be home for a good 3 weeks.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tscheezy said:
1. Yes, the Torx head bolts will thread right in. They are the same as the old ones except for the wrench engagement flavor.

2. Side-side play? How much? You may just be able to snug the bolt down a little more. The H-links are a clevis joint. That means they act like a fork holding the shaft tight between the arms of the clevis using the pass-through bolt. What you are describing means that the thrust washers (the "brim" of the "top hat" shaped igus bushings) has worn significantly, so the rear dropout can slide from side to side along the shaft/clevis assembly. You will likely have to pop some new bushings in if that is the case. I think a complete bike bushing kit runs about $45-50 for all pivots on the bike: 3 main shafts, 2 Horst link shafts, o-rings, bushings, and bolts all around. You would have to ask Turner if they would just sell you the bits for one pivot, but then why not get the whole kit and just have it on hand for the future? Any Turner dealer can get the pivot kits. If I were home I'd be happy to end you a few parts since I have piles, but I won't be home for a good 3 weeks.
The side-side play makes a little click noise and I can see movement if I grab the chainstay and tug on it with my hand. The little bolt and nut was so small I didn't want to torque it too much. I actually disassembled both pivots and cleaned the bushings up and then put everything back together. I made the left and right the same tightness and I had no movement on the right but still had play on the left. I found an LBS about 30mi away that has the horst link kits for $13 per side so it sounds like it may still be a better deal to get it from Turner direct. I'll try calling Turner tomorrow and see what price they have. Plus then I can get the torx head bolts at the same time. Thanks for the info.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Give Larry @ Mtn High a call too. $26 just for the Horsts is pretty steep imo.

While not exaclty to code, you could take a flat file or sandpaper and take 0.5mm off the end of the pivot shaft so that the clevis can clamp down more and take up the space left by the eroded bushing flange...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
zerk gone missing

tscheezy said:
Give Larry @ Mtn High a call too. $26 just for the Horsts is pretty steep imo.

While not exaclty to code, you could take a flat file or sandpaper and take 0.5mm off the end of the pivot shaft so that the clevis can clamp down more and take up the space left by the eroded bushing flange...

TS, when i was polishing and lubeing my new to me RFX I noticed it was missing a zerk. Being a motorhead I always knew you could buy an assortment of "zerks" in any auto parts house. Where the 'ell do I find these little wieners?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Just ask Turner or a Turner dealer for some. They may send you a few for free in an envelope if you ask really nicely. Maybe they'd throw some stickers in too. I have not seen them in hardware stores myself, so I just get them from Larry or Turner. Put a piece of electrical tape over the hole to keep dirt out in the mean time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
kit price

tscheezy said:
Just ask Turner or a Turner dealer for some. They may send you a few for free in an envelope if you ask really nicely. Maybe they'd throw some stickers in too. I have not seen them in hardware stores myself, so I just get them from Larry or Turner. Put a piece of electrical tape over the hole to keep dirt out in the mean time.
Just a thought but if for instance you just walked into a shop (where you did not buy the bike from) a bought a pivot kit for the Turner, The average price will be closer to $70.00 but it depends also on who you buy from. I know what they cost, and $70 is about right for a full kit.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Rfx

tscheezy said:
Ahh, good to know. I guess I never bothered to price them out msrp-style.
Since I just recieved a kit in the other day for an RFX, I just happen to remember the cost.
Thought I'd pass it on.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I bought an RP3 (well, it's "in the mail"). I'm looking forward to trying it out, but all I can do these days for exercise is run on the beach.

Did you still want to unload some Minute 1 guts?

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called Turner and ordered them direct because I could not get Larry on the phone and he hasn't responded to email yet. The cost from Turner was $75 for the whole bike. Not cheap but then again for the quality of the parts I'm not really sweating it.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Larry is going on vacation to Hawaii for 2 weeks. He needs it. He was running around like a mad man trying to get all the loose ends tied up before leaving, so he may have been less than reponsive recently. El Beastro is apparently pinch hitting at the shop in the mean time.

Have Turner send you a few zerks too. It's nice to have a few on hand.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Man, I love these Turners

tscheezy said:
Yep, as you would expect, after a short e-mail to Casey he's mailing a few extras to me.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
are we talking 04 or 05?

tscheezy said:
I bought an RP3 (well, it's "in the mail"). I'm looking forward to trying it out, but all I can do these days for exercise is run on the beach.

Since the 05 parts are better performing, I would assume you are asking this?
I do have a few 05 damper sets around, I could sell you 1 kit. I have installed them now on a few customers bikes, they all agree that running the same air psi. in the SPV from 04 to 05 parts produced a less harsh and smoother overall ride quality. One guy basically summed it up, less beat up hands feel on real choppy terrain.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
oh and also for general public.............

tscheezy said:

I posted just a bit ago, last week that the Romic upgrade on the leaking compression nob o-ring seal. So far both of mine are just fine working excellent, but a few months from now will be the real test. No hint of even residue in the compression nob area.
I am also looking forward to get back on the RP3 soon. I still think it is the best performing air shock to date, not quite a coil shock, but real close in some situations. Very easy to throw the lever and quick adjust, and no lock out. Which IMO if your not racing, you dont need the lock out. Pedal platform done right or at least decent will be more than enough especially on the 5 Spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
well..........

tscheezy said:
OK. let me guess: Wolverine Bowl at Alpine Meadows?
The close up against the boulder is on Stanford Rock ride, Ward Canyon. If you could look directly over the top of the boulder you would see both Alpine Meadows resort and Squaw in the distance.
The other picture.....is Mammoth Mountain, part way down Skid Marks trail, looking out at the Gondola, gotta look close for the Gondola cars in the distance hanging a few hundred feet up in the air!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
tscheezy said:
Larry is going on vacation to Hawaii for 2 weeks. He needs it.
I spent two weeks on the island of Kauiai this summer and almost didn't make it home, and while we're talking about scenery I thought I might as well throw up a couple of pic (bikes not included)...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
DGC said:
I do have a few 05 damper sets around, I could sell you 1 kit. I have installed them now on a few customers bikes, they all agree that running the same air psi. in the SPV from 04 to 05 parts produced a less harsh and smoother overall ride quality. One guy basically summed it up, less beat up hands feel on real choppy terrain.
DGC, are there any other changes from the '04 to the '05 Minutes other than the valving?

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
DGC said:
At this point I would need to do an oil change on the Minute and give it a good, long, pounding, break-in before I could claim it was really lacking in some way. It felt great, just not well matched to my as-of-yet unPushed Vanilla rear. Pushing the Vanilla is the first priority once I return to civilization.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts