Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting there.....going to take a chance on the Marta SL brakes (I think), and I'm thinking about just stepping up and going with CK hubs laced to DT 5.1 rims. If anyone has issues with these choices, please speak up with reasons for I'm pulling the trigger soon....

(check out the vintage stem..)

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
wheels sound good but id reccomend the louise's with a 160/180 combo for the reasons others mentioned in the 1st thread. at 160lbs the rules do change so maybe yer gonna be fine with the marta's.

i was gonna ask before ya edited: is that a old kooka stem? if so, lose it fast. or better yet, give it to the dog so he can chew it into oblivion then burry it in the back yard never to be seen again. theres tons of good choices that wont leave ya in the hospital.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cactuscorn said:
wheels sound good but id reccomend the louise's with a 160/180 combo for the reasons others mentioned in the 1st thread. at 160lbs the rules do change so maybe yer gonna be fine with the marta's.

i was gonna ask before ya edited: is that a old kooka stem? if so, lose it fast. or better yet, give it to the dog so he can chew it into oblivion then burry it in the back yard never to be seen again. theres tons of good choices that wont leave ya in the hospital.
Thanks CC..good points. Yeah, the old Kooka stem..it's been through the ringer in the 10 years I used it. That old blue girl is officially retired now, she just comes out for photo shoots these days.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Say no to the martas. You have an almost 9 pound frame, so shaving mere grams on brakes isn't going to do the frame a service. The brakes might do well for a lighter bike, but are going to be taxed to capacity and beyond on a regular basis on something like an RFX, not to mention the rotors not having great thermal capacity, when compared to different rotors.

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
Sounds like you have made some very sound choices.. go with the Martas if you already have them or have a good deal on them (maybe with the Louise SL rotors to overcome some heating probs)... if not go for Louises or XT/Saint or Formulas.... I love my 5.1 rims.. good choice!!! I run Hope Pro2 hubs though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.