Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thing UGI has sunk its teeth in, and I have the opportunity to buy an '06 RFX for my freeride bike. It will see most of its duty on the Shore, with the occasional trip to Whizzla, lift riding etc. I am also a fan of riding up to get my gravity thrills on the way down, so I try to resist being a shuttle whore whenever possible.
I have parts from a Norco Shore ('02) which will be the donator with the fork being a Super T. Any one out there in the Homer Collective got any thoughts on this? The reasons for doing this (UGI aside) would be ability to get a bigger tire out back (Norco messed up the chain stays on this one - a skinny 2.4 is all I can get in there), being able to drop the seat all the way down (the telescoping system on the Norcos is OK but not ideal), and shed a few pounds on the frame, and of course adding to the Turner fleet!
I am sure I might hear 'get a Highline' , but the price difference is close to 3x (once you factor in extra bits the Highline would need) and I dont think I will ever need that much bike.

So I am just throwing it out there for any or all thoughts or experiences...

Buzz
MCM#45

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The RFX is a great bike for the Shore/Whistler. I've ridden it up there; FM's ridden his for years before recently converting to a Highline; check with Brodiegirl as well - it's her main ride for up there. Get it and ride it up there for a couple of years and then get something else later.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
The RFX is a perfect bike for the shore, especially fromme.... run it with a bigger fork like a 66 or your super-T, big tires, wide bar short stem etc. and you'll love it most everywhere.

I rode mine on most of fromme and seymour before going to the highline; I'm pretty sure the RFX might actually be a better bike for the shore but the highline is more versatile for whistler bike park and the other local burlier trails I want to ride.

for rides that feature ample climbing or flat elevated FR stuff, the RFX is perfect!

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
FM said:
The RFX is a perfect bike for the shore, especially fromme.... run it with a bigger fork like a 66 or your super-T, big tires, wide bar short stem etc. and you'll love it most everywhere.

for rides that feature ample climbing or flat elevated FR stuff, the RFX is perfect!
and where could one find a med rfx like that for sale? hmmmm...............

Attachments

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
cactuscorn said:
and where could one find a med rfx like that for sale? hmmmm...............
How much are you looking to get for the frame, again?

_MK

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I needed a Med....

If I were a bit shorter, Id snap up your medium in a second CC. Dont worry, there is someone out there who will wake up and finally decide that they NEED that bike!

Buzz
MCM#45

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
thanx buzz. im acctually talkin to a guy about it now but my recent experience tells me not to keep all my eggs in 1 chicken. or somethin like that anyway. and thanx for the hijack oportunity. did ya get yers yet? dont wait till theyre all gone before ya decide to melt the gold card.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
FM said:

I rode mine on most of fromme and seymour before going to the highline; I'm pretty sure the RFX might actually be a better bike for the shore but the highline is more versatile for whistler bike park and the other local burlier trails I want to ride.

I concur............
I've pretty much got mine built up like FM's RFX was with a 66Light, 2.5's and a bolt-on axle.

Its a good middle of the road solution though.

Its tight and quick handling and probably better suited for the Shore (at least Seymour anyway as its the only Shore Mtn. I've been on) than something with a long(ish) wheelbase like the HL. I rode my old VP-Free on Seymour and a more compact bike would've probably been better.

My only RFX gripe is that damn 21" seat tube on my XL.......it needs to be an inch shorter IMO.

But, like FM said, the RFX w/ Super T is a great setup for the Shore trails. For Whistler something slacker is definately better......but then again I nearly got run over on A-Line by a guy on big goofy looking old fashioned XC hardtail. :skep:

Stoke on!

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Here's two pics of mine on seymour and at whistler. Mine is an 01 so it's slightly beefier but I can teel you that the handling and geo were very good. These pics are from 05, in 06 I went back with the highline and I think it handled some of the scary steep stuff better than the RFX but on some stuff it was sucky to have such a heavy big bike to climb. The RFX equipped with a travel adjust fork will meet all your shore and whistler needs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Entrance to Upper Oilcan?

Yeah that is a tricky one....I have seen too many ppl in a pile at the bottom of that one. The problem is, is that is the ENTRANCE and you get no time to warm up at all...I mean apart from the hour long trek up to the 7th switchback :p

Buzz
MCM#45

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
shanedawg said:
you might know this one. I'm not sure how my RFX would have handled something this steep cause I was too chicken to try it. Here's my bud Scott on his demo 9 with 888 fork.
Shane, the entrance to UOC is doable on the RFX, but it is definitely a steep one with that left hand turn after it. As they say on the shore....."Commit or eat sh!t" :D :D Nice huck pic on Ned's, btw. I love that gap as well. :thumbsup:

Buzz is right though....no warmup before rolling it - other than the hourlong pedal. :eek: Man, I'm hoping some of that snow starts to melt soon. I'm hankerin' for a shore day pronto.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
432 Posts
Just so y'all know, my rfx with 36 Van handles that drop at the start of UOC very well thank you. ;)

I do have a DHR for Whistler days and shuttling though. I think the angles of the rfx are a bit steep for the bikepark, though granted my choice of fork doesn't help that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.