Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after many months (ok, maybe 7) I finally pieced together the most fantastical monster ever.



The Hit List:
'06 Turner RFX frame in British Racing Green
'10 Fox Van R shock
'07 Fox Talas 36 RC2
XT rear der and shifters
LX front derailleur
Race Face Diablolus cranks w/ Dangerboy bash guard
Syncros Risers
Holzfeller 60mm Stem
Oury grips
Hayes Stroker Trails, 8'' rotors and upgraded to Goodridge lines
Hadley Racing hubs laced to DT Swiss EX5.1D hoops, DT Champion spokes
Conti Rubber Queen 2.4 meats
Thomson setback topped off with a Brooks Swift

I'd love to toot my horn about how it rides but...to no avail. Its no DW Link but, it'll work I think.
 

·
Flyin Canine
Joined
·
2,274 Posts
Very nice ride, but remember that with the added speed and rough terrain you'll likely be hitting you will probably want to get a chain guide like an e13 or something to keep the chain from flying off. This will keep the chain from jamming into the frame and scratching your new ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
A little odd mix of parts IMO not that it really matters at all..

Light rims, no guide, air fork
with
massive block of a stem, beefy spokes, and one of the heaviest cranks on the market



Either way, it should be quite fun (based on my experience with my personal 07 pack).


:thumbsup:
 

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
davep said:
A little odd mix of parts IMO not that it really matters at all..

Light rims, no guide, air fork
with
massive block of a stem, beefy spokes, and one of the heaviest cranks on the market

Either way, it should be quite fun (based on my experience with my personal 07 pack).

:thumbsup:
It'll definitely be fun, the parts were a mix of what I had on hand and a few pieces I wanted to have. Yes the cranks are heavy but so am I and flex is lame so that's why those are there. I don't have money coming out of my ass so it is how it is I guess.
 

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
Joined
·
855 Posts
CoalesceKid said:
It'll definitely be fun, the parts were a mix of what I had on hand and a few pieces I wanted to have. Yes the cranks are heavy but so am I and flex is lame so that's why those are there. I don't have money coming out of my ass so it is how it is I guess.
Nice ride!!! Don't listen to the fools who will tear down your kit. Ride what you got and if/when something breaks (or you suddenly DO have money coming outta yer arse) THEN upgrade.

Enjoy the ride!!!
 

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SilverSpot said:
Nice ride!!! Don't listen to the fools who will tear down your kit. Ride what you got and if/when something breaks (or you suddenly have money coming outta yer arse) THEN upgrade.

Enjoy the ride!!!
Fo sho man. That's the plan! :) The criticism is fine, everybody has their idea of what is what. Like I said though, once my ass turns into mint it'll sparkle like a gem....until then, this will do the job.
 

·
Team Blindspot
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
SilverSpot said:
Nice ride!!! Don't listen to the fools who will tear down your kit. Ride what you got and if/when something breaks (or you suddenly DO have money coming outta yer arse) THEN upgrade.

Enjoy the ride!!!
I agree. I don't know how El C thinks you will be able to ride it without brakes, let alone a fork:confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
91 Posts
CoalesceKid said:
Fo sho man. That's the plan! :) The criticism is fine, everybody has their idea of what is what. Like I said though, once my ass turns into mint it'll sparkle like a gem....until then, this will do the job.
Sweet ride... eF the Nancy's who think their bike is Gods gift, full of divinely inspired bling... and that Brooks is tops!
 

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
idrivefun said:
Sweet ride... eF the Nancy's who think their bike is Gods gift, full of divinely inspired bling... and that Brooks is tops!
Thanks man, the Brooks is probably my favorite piece. It's far from a typical AM saddle choice, but with the British Racing Green....a Honey brooks HAD to happen. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
I can see why it took you seven months...(baby crib in background)
But now that you waited so long...ride it and post a dirty picture of it for proof.
....or will it be another 7 months before your wife lets you ride it?:)
 

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rgeniec said:
I can see why it took you seven months...(baby crib in background)
But now that you waited so long...ride it and post a dirty picture of it for proof.
....or will it be another 7 months before your wife lets you ride it?:)
Yes sir, the puny human tends to take up most of the flow...its all good though, she is funny as sh!t so its all worth it. Lets hope its not 7 months before I ride it.....although, I do live in South Dakota, the land of "if you dont like the weather, just wait 5 minutes". I will certainly post some damage once its done....trips planned to Colorado's front range, Moab, Curt Gowdy in Wyoming and Rapid City!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Looks great!! Nice eye on the racing green and Brooks combo! I am sure it will ride, over what ever you point it at!

Can't wait until you get some miles on your Brooks, I am always curious what people think of them. Everyone always points back to horse saddles, but a bike saddle and a horse saddle are worlds apart. I just know that my ass needs a little cushion, even if it is just a SLR XP.

Anyways sorry for my rambling, can't wait for more pics!!

Ryan
 

·
Yayer!
Joined
·
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So since I have this broken ankle to deal with, I figured I would throw some money at the RFX...that I can't ride. Swapped out some parts:

Holzfeller stem is now a Thomson 50mm
Pig headset is now a Cane Creek 110
LX front der. to XT front der.
Strokers to Hope Tech M4's
Fox Van R to Fox DHX 5.0 Air
Lost about 14 ounces with the swap so I'm damned near on top of the 32lb mark, pretty decent I thought.







 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top