Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So all my parts have either arrived or are being shipped. The hours of research, planning, sourcing, etc are finally done...well, except for tires.... I'm planning on building the bike towards the middle of next week so I can ride next weekend. I'm going to say it's 32.4 pounds.

* Frame Size & Color: '06 RFX Large/White
* Rear Shock: '06 Fox DHX 5 Coil
* Fork: '06 Fox 36 RC2 TALAS
* Brakes: '06 Magura Louise FR 180/180
* Cranks: XTR 46/36/24
* Bottom Bracket: XTR
* Front Derailleur: XTR
* Rear Derailleur: XTR
* Shifters: XTR 8 Speed
* Cassette: XTR 8 Speed 11-32
* Chain: XTR
* Stem: Thompson Elite 90mm
* Handlebar: Easton Carbon Monkey Lite 3/4" Rise
* Seatpost: Thompson Elite 350mm
* Saddle: Terry Titanium
* Headset: Chris King
* Grips: Oury
* Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 StickE
* Rear Tire: Kenda Nevegal 2.1 DTC
* Front Rim: DT 5.1D
* Rear Rim: DT 5.1D
* Front Hub: Hope Pro II 20mm
* Rear Hub/Skewer: Hope Pro II / XTR
* Pedals: Ritchey
* Seatclamp: Turner
* Weight: ??.?

·
Registered
323 Posts
agreed. Without going crazy light in the tube and tire selection, 32 is pretty hard to achieve. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to be realistic so you don't get disappointed if you come up a little heavier

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Pothole said:
So all my parts have either arrived or are being shipped. The hours of research, planning, sourcing, etc are finally done...well, except for tires.... I'm planning on building the bike towards the middle of next week so I can ride next weekend. I'm going to say it's 32.4 pounds.
I got mine to about that weight with a RP3 and 36TALAS, same tires but lighter wheels. So with a DHXc and slightly heavier wheels, you're probably around 34+/-0.5 pounds

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I will have a punt at 34.6lbs with a coil shocks that's about the best you can do for a bike that can still take a bit of stick.
Good effort.
No pic's though :nono: :)

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Pothole said:
The fork is the air sprung Talas, not the VAN...it's about 5.2 pounds.
Weight difference is minimal. My VanR weight only 1/10th of a pound heavier than my TALAS RC2

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Save your money on the XTR crankset. It's waaaaaay too expensive and won't make a hill of beans difference on a stout trailbike like the RFX. You're looking at 34+ pounds. I think Dusty's guess is right .... more like 35.

IMO Get the XT crankset, and use the money you save to buy a bash ring, and a Gravity Dropper.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
I'm going to guess 34.2

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,518 Posts
Kracker said:
Who cares how much it weighs? Weight is just a number to make internal mental excuses on climbs... It looks like it'll ride sick. Congrats!!!!
Yes, but it climbs like a much lighter bike.

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
Jayem said:
Yes, but it climbs like a much lighter bike.
geez :rolleyes:...that goes without saying! :thumbsup: after all...it IS a turner! :D

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
184 Posts
34.8 lbs - you won't bust 35 until you put on the FoSchizzle approved Gravity Retarder, at least that is what happened to me. Have fun on that sucka!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bikezilla said:
Save your money on the XTR crankset. It's waaaaaay too expensive and won't make a hill of beans difference on a stout trailbike like the RFX. You're looking at 34+ pounds. I think Dusty's guess is right .... more like 35.

IMO Get the XT crankset, and use the money you save to buy a bash ring, and a Gravity Dropper.
I already had the crank and several other xtr goodies that are coming over from my other bike. I like that Gravity Dropper concept alot, and a Hopey steering stabilizer would be pretty killer as well, I won't even ride my motocross bike without my Scotts stabilizer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.