Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi; do you guys have an opinion one way or the other wheather or not to pick up a good used RFX or weather to wait for the 6-Pack. I emailed a guy with a nice looking RFX frame who said he'd trade for my 5-Spot frame; his RFX is a large, my 5-Spot is a medium; that might work for both of us-he wants a smaller ride and I want a bigger one. What do you think? Thanks,
Turtle 1

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
What shock is on the RFX? If it is a lowly old Vanilla RC you are at least going to want to have it Pushed, so figure ~$160 into the mix. Or, you could specify that you wanted to keep your current shock (which would bolt right on to the RFX- both bikes take the same spec shocks though you would need a different spring rate: +100#). What year is the RFX? If it has a lot of miles on it, it may be getting due for a bushing overhaul ($70, not including labor- but you would do that yourself, right?). If it really is an across-the-board trade and both bikes are in good shape, I guess there would be nothing wrong with trading as long as you understand you may have to put a few $$ into the RFX to bring it into the 21st Century. It would be "cheaper" than selling the used Spot and buying a new Pack, I guess... depending...

Just don't kick yourself later (and blame me too) if the Pack ends up being some criminally sexy thing with a DHX 5 and only costs $1,600 or something.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rfx

tscheezy said:
What shock is on the RFX? If it is a lowly old Vanilla RC you are at least going to want to have it Pushed, so figure ~$160 into the mix. Or, you could specify that you wanted to keep your current shock (which would bolt right on to the RFX- both bikes take the same spec shocks though you would need a different spring rate: +100#). What year is the RFX? If it has a lot of miles on it, it may be getting due for a bushing overhaul ($70, not including labor- but you would do that yourself, right?). If it really is an across-the-board trade and both bikes are in good shape, I guess there would be nothing wrong with trading as long as you understand you may have to put a few $$ into the RFX to bring it into the 21st Century. It would be "cheaper" than selling the used Spot and buying a new Pack, I guess... depending...

Just don't kick yourself later (and blame me too) if the Pack ends up being some criminally sexy thing with a DHX 5 and only costs $1,600 or something.
The RFX is on MTBR classifieds-I think it's listed for 1595 or something like that-the guys name is Steve, his email address is [email protected] or other-I can't remember. The picture of the guys bike looks pretty good-he says it's a 2002 and it's got very few miles-he says the bike is too big for him-that's why he wanted to trade for my medium 5-Spot.

I wish I would have thought of getting the RFX a couple months ago-there was a nice frame hanging up at the Downhill Zone in Seattle-they were asking 1200.

Yep, I think it would be cheaper to trade straight accross if the RFX is in good shape. I'm pretty sure the RFX has a Romic. The bad part is he only has 5 inch rockers-at least that's what he's got on the frame. I suppose the 6 inch rockers are around 200 bucks?

Oh well, maybe I'll just keep looking and see what turns up. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
Turtle 1 Ps. I rode with a friend who has a new El Saltomontes. I tried his bike on the trail today and didn't like it-compared to my 5-Spot, it was a beast.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You mentioned in other threads the Moment would be too heavy and too much of a freeride bike for you; the RFX is even heavier and can take more freeride abuse than the Moment. You might want to call Turner and ask him about the weight of the 6-Pack as I would bet it's closer to the Moment than the RFX.
That said, you can put an air shock on any of the above 3 frames and save some decent weight.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
That would be pretty pointless to get a 5" RFX unless it came with 6" plates you could install. I don't know what the 6" plate availability is, so that would be a gamble and another extra expense.

It may be time for Turtle to employ some patience and see what develops this winter, or go demo some different bikes and perhaps realize that you already are sitting on your perfect ride and you just don't realize it yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
tscheezy said:
That would be pretty pointless to get a 5" RFX unless it came with 6" plates you could install. I don't know what the 6" plate availability is, so that would be a gamble and another extra expense.

It may be time for Turtle to employ some patience and see what develops this winter, or go demo some different bikes and perhaps realize that you already are sitting on your perfect ride and you just don't realize it yet.
I know for the Burners and the XCE's their rockers are distinguished by a mark on the inside (i.e., "X" or "RX"). These rockers would give the Burners and XCE 3.6" or 4" travel depending on the shock installed. Is there any mark on the RFX rockers so that you could differentiante between a 5" and a 6" rocker?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
Hi; do you guys have an opinion one way or the other wheather or not to pick up a good used RFX or weather to wait for the 6-Pack. I emailed a guy with a nice looking RFX frame who said he'd trade for my 5-Spot frame; his RFX is a large, my 5-Spot is a medium; that might work for both of us-he wants a smaller ride and I want a bigger one. What do you think? Thanks,
Turtle 1
This question depends alot on useage....WHAT are you going to do with this bike? - are you going to get the 6" rockers, put on a 6" single-crown and use the bike for heavy-duty trail riding/light freeriding? What (other than the wrong size) do you find limiting about the 5 Spot? Are you planning on doing good sized drops?

If you are looking to change size, but want a fairly light long-travel trail bike - you are better off waiting for the 6 Pack (which probably won't be available for a while...) - if you are looking to get into freeriding - get that RFX - but remember it's a pretty heavy frame - a light build on the RFX is going to be in the 35lb area - so as well as they climb, don't expect to beat your friends to the top...but to the bottom? oh yeah, you'll be waiting down there for 'em...

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Turtle 1 said:
I wish I would have thought of getting the RFX a couple months ago-there was a nice frame hanging up at the Downhill Zone in Seattle-they were asking 1200.
I know the guy that bought that frame, and I built it up for him. It was a good deal, but he wanted to have it re-painted and the DH zone guys referred him to a painter who PC'd the entire frame with derailuer hanger and WB bolts intact. It was heart-breaking to see. I had to replace the hanger since the threads were covered with paint. I had to tear the old hanger off with vice-grips since the allen heads were totally filled with paint as well. sad- i won't be taking my biz anywhere near the Dhzone after that experience.

For reference, I bought my unridden 2002 RFX for $1500 with a king steelset.

Turtle, how tall are you?

IMHO the rfx does very well for XC riding, but you have to throw your weight ideas out the window. Light 6" bikes just don't last. The RFX will weigh 35+lbs. I wouldn't have mine any other way... I don't need the weight every ride, but it sure is nice to have up in whistler!!! If you're really serious about keepin the wheels on the ground, I'd get a 575.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
FM said:
If you're really serious about keepin the wheels on the ground, I'd get a 575.
This is the best advice yet for Turtle's focus on comfort (vs. abuse). Either that or get a Switchblade with the 5.75" long travel kit. That shouldn't set you back alot of bank, particularly used.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
macrider said:
If you are looking to change size, but want a fairly light long-travel trail bike - you are better off waiting for the 6 Pack (which probably won't be available for a while...) - if you are looking to get into freeriding - get that RFX - but remember it's a pretty heavy frame
Roy said:
You might want to call Turner and ask him about the weight of the 6-Pack as I would bet it's closer to the Moment than the RFX.
I think Dave Turner pretty much put an end to the idea (which seems to have spawned on this board) that the 6-Pack would be closer to the Spot than to the RFX in terms of weight:

turnerbikes said:
The weight will be similar to the RFX as one would imagine if it were as strong.
My 2002 RFX is 9.5lbs with 6" plates and 600lb spring on the Vanilla, so you're looking at a good two pounds extra over the Spot in the frame alone. I'd be surprised if the Pack came out any lighter than the RFX, especially if it will be at a lower price point (less machine work). And as FM pointed out, there's no use having a frame that can handle anything you throw at it without components that can do the same. Expect a capably equipped 6-Pack/RFX to weigh close to 5lbs. more than a capably equipped 5 Spot. Also worth mentioning is that the Pack will have a slacker HT angle with a given fork, and longer chainstays as well.

I too was looking for the most comfortable ride even though I'm only in my twenties. Hey, I still want to be doing this when I'm in my late fifties. The Turner suspension is so well done to begin with that coming off the XCE, the extra 2" on the RFX was not a night and day difference. It's mostly noticable at speed and on jumps. I'm actually going to try the 5" plates because I really don't think the 6" is doing me much good at this point, especially with my 5" fork (Firefly).

I'll take the extra weigh of the RFX because:
a) Dependability & Durability are of utmost importance to me; no air shocks, carbon, Stans', or too light tubing on my bikes. I definitely wouldn't call the 5 Spot's tubing too light (who knows about the Moment though...), but the RFX is undoubtedly the sturdier frame, however unlikely it is that myself or most other "trail" riders would exceed the Spot's limits.
b) Usually when I mountain bike I am by myself and am looking for the best workout (which extra weight makes easier) vs. riding with friends and trying to keep up with/humiliate them (which extra weight makes more difficult).
c) As my riding skills progress there are plenty of opportunities in the area for me to call on the additional travel and strength the RFX offers.

Consider which side you lean to on these criteria and others to help figure out if the extra 1" of travel and associated weight increase will be what you want. Of course if you're one of those (like I tend to be) that always has to have the latest and greatest then your decision is already made...

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ummm....

miles e said:
I think Dave Turner pretty much put an end to the idea (which seems to have spawned on this board) that the 6-Pack would be closer to the Spot than to the RFX in terms of weight:
Um, I said "Moment" vs. the RFX. The Moment is noticeably heavier than the Spot but not as heavy as the RFX. Look for the 6-Pack to compete against the Moment and be lighter than the RFX.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No one "Needs" a Porsche ..

Or a Ducati 996, but you get my point. If ridin' that RFX makes you feel good, don't worry that you're not using that last 1.5" of travel. Turtle, I come from your tribe and I can hear the cry. That desire you have to own an RFX, comes burnin' through these posts. And if you buy it and want to sell it after a while, you'll still have guys filling up your inbox with offers. That 5 Spot you've got is the perfiect bike for you, period. And so is mine for me! But I hadda get the RFX or I wouldn't be satisfied. Got it now, building it and feel good about it when I look at that bike.

This ain't about technical excellence it's about emotional fulfillment!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
miles e said:
I'd be surprised if the Pack came out any lighter than the RFX, especially if it will be at a lower price point (less machine work).
Between the '02 (XCE/RFX) and '03 (5 Spot) Turner lowered their prices across the board without compromising quality and features, with the exception being the Burner. Between the information provided by Turner here on the boards and a few conversation I've had with Casey I'd be surprised if the 6 Pack doesn't offer more features, a stronger frame, and lower weight all at a price lower than the original MSRP of the RFX.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Roy said:
Um, I said "Moment" vs. the RFX. The Moment is noticeably heavier than the Spot but not as heavy as the RFX. Look for the 6-Pack to compete against the Moment and be lighter than the RFX.
Right, and the 6-Pack will be noticeably heavier than both based on what DT said:

Spot ~7.5 lbs.
Moment ~8lbs.
RFX (& 6-Pack?) ~9.5 lbs.

If "similar weight to the RFX" means 1.5lbs. lighter then I guess I'm wrong, but until further details emerge then I think we can expect it to be in a different league than the Spot and Moment.

Originally there seemed to be a general sentiment that the Pack might be little more than a Spot with 6" rockers, an idea which DT dismissed. From there, some (including myself) were thinking it would be more like a Moment, somewhat between the Spot and RFX. But again, based on the statement previously quoted from Turner, it looks to be every bit as beefy and even more freeride oriented (geometry-wise) than the RFX.

turnerbikes said:
If it were any lighter like some may dream of, it would not be a worthy intermediate step between rough trail and EXTREME use.
I would love to see the 6-Pack come in lighter than the RFX and give up nothing in strength, but (again) based on what DT has let us in on at this point that just is not happening.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
The RFX I picked up in april looked almost brand new. I paid only $940 for it on ebay not including shipping. I then did as Tscheezy said and got a diff spring, push mod, and recently bushings. So count an extra $300 for all that stuff and I'm about $1300 for the frame. It already had the 6in plates on it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
CrashTheDOG said:
Between the '02 (XCE/RFX) and '03 (5 Spot) Turner lowered their prices across the board without compromising quality and features, with the exception being the Burner. Between the information provided by Turner here on the boards and a few conversation I've had with Casey I'd be surprised if the 6 Pack doesn't offer more features, a stronger frame, and lower weight all at a price lower than the original MSRP of the RFX.
Yeah, I guess I was thinking specifically of the Burner (as opposed to the Spot). The Burner's MSRP was 30 percent less than the XCE's, as opposed to the Spot's 10 percent difference from the RFX. If I'm not mistaken the Burner has lighter tubing (butted) than the XCE's (straight gauge), but comes in at almost the same weight with identical shocks, which I thought was indicative of the amount of machine work done around the shock mount area, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

While I'm sure Turner might come out ahead with the slightly lower price points (e.g. $1,900 vs. $2,100) due to increased volume/buying power, you still have to give up something when you drastically cut the price (e.g. $1,400 vs. $2,000). I would like to think that technological advances would allow a lighter/stronger/cheaper (and DHX equipped!) frame, but (once again) based on what DT said here that is not going to happen with the 6-Pack. If you guys with more direct communication with Turner know otherwise then great, I'm just trying to tie in what Dave said in other concurrent threads.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
It's all about the terrain, right?

For 85% of the trails I ride, a 5-spot would be superior to my RFX. Lighter, lower BB (lower CofG) and less un-used travel. besides that, both share all the same great assetts.

When I was pondering the RFX, many on this board advised that the 5-spot might be a better bike for the majority of my riding. And they were right. And I often I wonder if any 5-spot owners with nice forks would like to trade for my RFX, then my bike would be 10lbs lighter!

However, the extra 15% is what's making me smile today. About this time yesterday, in heavy rain, I was sizing up a 4+' drop to tranny, at the end of a steep rooty granite slab with water and wet pine needles running down it. The approach was a north-shore ass-on-the-tire sort of move. 10' after the slab, there were handlebar width tree's (you're going 20+ at that point). This is the kind of terrain that motivates me to drive to whistler every third weekend. It was not a move that I would have tried or cleared on a 5-spot. (allthough perhaps somebody else would have....)

Moments like that remind me why I chose the RFX over the 5-spot. Hauling the extra weight on XC rides is a small price to pay for such a versatile bike. Moments like that mke me a "turner homer".

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
miles e said:
I would like to think that technological advances would allow a lighter/stronger/cheaper (and DHX equipped!) frame, but (once again) based on what DT said here that is not going to happen with the 6-Pack.
Here are a few of the juicier tidbits from Turner on the 6 Pack...

turnerbikes said:
The 6 Pack will be as tough as the RFX but with all new , very cool looking tubing, Even the stays are new, in a Turner sort of way. The weight will be similar to the RFX as one would imagine if it were as strong.
turnerbikes said:
This is a truly solid step between the 5 Spot and the Highline. If it were any lighter like some may dream of, it would not be a worthy intermediate step between rough trail and EXTREME use. Any heavier and it would be too much for a pedaling free rider.
turnerbikes said:
FYI, I got some photos from the welder of the 6 Pack front triangle today, I was not laughing in a fun post ride sorta polite way, nooo. I was laughing in a maniacal sorta way thinkin' of all of you having to clean your shorts after seeing the 'Pack for the first time! If the RFX could be proud he would be beaming about his beautiful new son.
At this point any guess on weight strength and price are just that… a guess. Who knows if Turner even knows the final weight? I'm a grown man and I feel more anxious than a kid on Christmas eve.

·
Registered
686 Posts
RFX off of Ebay

shanedawg said:
The RFX I picked up in april looked almost brand new. I paid only $940 for it on ebay not including shipping. I then did as Tscheezy said and got a diff spring, push mod, and recently bushings. So count an extra $300 for all that stuff and I'm about $1300 for the frame. It already had the 6in plates on it. Hope this helps.
How high were you willing to go on your bids?I had placed a bid of $900.00 just to see if I could get it for that.If I hade time to rebid near the end time I might have gone higher.I hope you're enjoying it cause I'am one that allways wanted one but the 6pack sound promising.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
DHRracer said:
How high were you willing to go on your bids?I had placed a bid of $900.00 just to see if I could get it for that.If I hade time to rebid near the end time I might have gone higher.I hope you're enjoying it cause I'am one that allways wanted one but the 6pack sound promising.
It's been awhile but I think at the time I would have gone up to $1050. That was about 50% of retail and was about the max I wanted to pay. Sorry that there weren't two of them for us both. If it makes you feel better I have been riding it a lot and it's even been to Whistler already.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.