Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
https://pivotcycles.com/en/bike-switchblade-1

DW link (with vertical mounted shock even!) conservative-for-modern geometry (BB height, HTA, STA and reach), maybe as close as you're going to get to a new Sultan or RFX 29er???
Wow, I'm not a huge Pivot fan, but that bike is exactly the RFX. I'd prefer an RFX in 27.5 with numbers closer to the HD5 though. If Pivot makes it in black, my wife would never even notice.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Wow, I'm not a huge Pivot fan, but that bike is exactly the RFX. I'd prefer an RFX in 27.5 with numbers closer to the HD5 though. If Pivot makes it in black, my wife would never even notice.
I’m an average sized pivot fan and the new rfx will be quite similar in numbers but w more travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m an average sized pivot fan and the new rfx will be quite similar in numbers but w more travel.
Pivot is blatantly cribbing the Turner design now that Turner is out of the game. Pivot is another company smoking dust with their pricing, trying to play the "I'm boutique" image while not being boutique. Almost $6k for an SLX bike and Performance suspension. Almost $7k for XT and factory suspension. And I know that the prices are cheaper in Burma too, so why the cost?

And all due respect to Dave, but he isn't coming out with a bike within the next year, and I need to get one within the next year, so obviously it won't be a Turner.

·
Hisforever
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The rocker is interesting, Vital has already posted a review and BT really liked it.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gu...chblade-Pro-XT-XTR,28978#product-reviews/3765

Hows this ride look? Been really trying to tell myself... "do not need" but its not working
https://raawmtb.com/pages/madonna-v2

I just cant help to keep thinking how sweet a modern 'coaster rig' from DT would be. Its almost like I dont know what bike to get and if I'll be happy. I know theres lots of good options now, and there are... But in the past, you know just get a Turner and you will be stoked. I just remember that instant comfortable feeling.

Carbon sucks.

·
"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
233 Posts
The rocker is interesting, Vital has already posted a review and BT really liked it.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gu...chblade-Pro-XT-XTR,28978#product-reviews/3765

Hows this ride look? Been really trying to tell myself... "do not need" but its not working
https://raawmtb.com/pages/madonna-v2

I just cant help to keep thinking how sweet a modern 'coaster rig' from DT would be. Its almost like I dont know what bike to get and if I'll be happy. I know theres lots of good options now, and there are... But in the past, you know just get a Turner and you will be stoked. I just remember that instant comfortable feeling.

Carbon sucks.
I would be all over aluminum Turner's making a comeback. Not convinced Carbon is the best way. Lots of companies making and selling Alu bikes. A Longer travel trail bike AKA new Burner. 29"er trail bike like the switchblade. New Enduro RFX in 29'er. Dave W obviously stealing some of his Turner designs for the Switchblade.

I see Reeb making Aluminum and Ti frames in a Barn. There has to be a way.

Would be amazing to see a comeback. Again, i would be all over newer Turner bikes. Love them and the guy who made them.

·
Hisforever
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
are you going to upgrade to hte v2??? wanna sell me the v1? : )

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,997 Posts
Pivot is blatantly cribbing the Turner design now that Turner is out of the game. Pivot is another company smoking dust with their pricing, trying to play the "I'm boutique" image while not being boutique. Almost $6k for an SLX bike and Performance suspension. Almost $7k for XT and factory suspension. And I know that the prices are cheaper in Burma too, so why the cost?

And all due respect to Dave, but he isn't coming out with a bike within the next year, and I need to get one within the next year, so obviously it won't be a Turner.
Seems like the Mach 4 SL is more unique and not a czar copy and that the new Switchblade is just an extension of this. It's a different direction for pivot that maximizes frame space and strength, fairly logical.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Turner bikes will be back and stronger than ever with a stacked lineup of dw goodness! Lord wizards DT and DW Are crafting away meticulously in their powershredding cauldron. We all will reap the benefits of their mtb sorcery very soon!!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just ordered a 2020 Pivot Switchblade which, IMO, is as close as one can to my expectations of what the RFX 29er. would have been. Looking forward to riding it when it finally shows up.

·
Pixie Dust Addict
3,365 Posts
Just ordered a 2020 Pivot Switchblade which, IMO, is as close as one can to my expectations of what the RFX 29er. would have been. Looking forward to riding it when it finally shows up.
Any word on the ETA of the Switchblade?

I've been thinking about the Switchblade vs. the Ripmo. I'm leaning toward the Ripmo because I am not procore enough to justify Superboost spacing. The Esker Rowl is intriguing, but not really in the same category as the Ibis and the Pivot.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Delivery times are pretty variable depending on the frame size and components. Ordered an XL with XT/XTR and it will be about 3 weeks, other sizes much longer.

Was on the fence re Ripmo/SW - the consensus seems to be that the SW has the nod climbing, and the Ripmo has the nod descending - but both are very capable in all conditions. IMO, superboost is worthy as it allows some design choices that boost does not. Have not ridden either bike, so hoping that the reviews are accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any word on the ETA of the Switchblade?

I've been thinking about the Switchblade vs. the Ripmo. I'm leaning toward the Ripmo because I am not procore enough to justify Superboost spacing. The Esker Rowl is intriguing, but not really in the same category as the Ibis and the Pivot.
I went Ripmo. I like the DW tuning on it better, comes closer to that bottom-less feel you get on a properly setup RFX, yet somehow is more poppy (I attribute much of this to the Fox X2 tuning). I also felt that I carried much more speed downhill on the Ripmo. Both good bikes, but I think that the Ripmo is more fun on the downs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think I wrote this somewhere above, but the Pivot Firebird 29er in its "high" position rides a lot like the RFX with bigger wheels.

A lot of people here seem to have an allegiance to DW link, and I guess I understand why if you're looking for another version of a Turner, but I think it's worthwhile to give other brands/suspension systems a try in absence of another Turner. Lots of good stuff out there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I still ride my RFX, I have a Ripmo on the way. I believe that the RFX will still have a place on the trails that I ride, particularly the tight and technical ones where the Ripmo is just too long. My son rips my old 5.5 Spot, he has more time to grow into it. What an amazing bike that is also. Every time I go out on the RFX, I can't help but think what could have been if Dave made one more evolution of it, an RFX v5.0.

·
Team Blindspot
2,987 Posts
I thinks it's more like a 29'er Burner. Demo'd one a while back and it rode very much like my Burner. Plus if you look at the silhouette, you can't help but think this may have been the next Burner/Turner carbon bike. I know DW has some influence on the design and it's interesting how the SB now looks like a Turner after DT pulls out of MTB's. (at least I hope he hasn't, maybe a midllfe crisis focusing on gravel bikes)

81 - 100 of 104 Posts