Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
turner4098 said:
I just curious about what will happen if I change my Spot's 5.3" rockers for 6"; it will affect bike's balance?
You could chop your seattube in half when the seatstay arch makes contact with it. Depending on size, it could be the seatpost, which would be worse. It might affect the bike's balance.

_MK

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
turner4098 said:
I just curious about what will happen if I change my Spot's 5.3" rockers for 6"; it will affect bike's balance?
What you need are the Push Rockers:

http://pushindustries.com/products.php?prod_page=frame&title=Frame Products

Won't affect balance. You can run 140mm up front, and up your rear travel to 5.75 inchs.

EDIT: if you really want a 6 trailbike, CC has a really nice one for sale, that you can run in 5 or 6 inch mode.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
oh! oh! pick me!

if ya need a 6" bike why not buy one? sorry t4098 but that wont work as mk said. sw has a good suggestion to keep yer spot spot on. this doesnt mean its a open invite to ride it 5.75% as hard as ya would a rfx. its just not built to handle it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
it works

That set up will actually work. If you have a 5Spot with the front deraileur stop on the side and not in the middle of the seat tube. The first point of contact would be the tire against the seat tube, not the bridge against the seat tube.

The numbers would actually be very close to the new RFX as far as angles. I believe Turner actually tested this set up before he came up with the protos for the new RFX.

Is it recommended? That is another question. Like CC said if you want a six inch bike, get a 6" bike. The 5Spot was not built to take the abuse of a six inch travel bike.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
G-AIR said:
That set up will actually work. If you have a 5Spot with the front deraileur stop on the side and not in the middle of the seat tube. The first point of contact would be the tire against the seat tube, not the bridge against the seat tube.

The numbers would actually be very close to the new RFX as far as angles. I believe Turner actually tested this set up before he came up with the protos for the new RFX.

Is it recommended? That is another question. Like CC said if you want a six inch bike, get a 6" bike. The 5Spot was not built to take the abuse of a six inch travel bike.
Are you sure about that? I went by memory in my reply, and I apologize if it failed me. I was pretty sure that it wouldn't work. Do you recall if there was a thread which talked about that?

_MK

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
not sure

MK,
I am sure there is a thread some where. I do not recall if there was a specific thread though.

The only reason I know is because I tried it. I had my Spot totally disassembled when I had it repowdercoated. When I was building it back up I slapped some 05-06 RFX rockers on there to see how it sat and felt. The tire ended up bottoming on my FD stop. That was with a 2.35 Nevy. With out the stop in the middle it would have been OK.

I never went offroad with the 6" setup, but it felt pretty sweet riding around the driveway.

This was also a Large frame...i don't know if that makes a difference.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
G-AIR said:
MK,
I am sure there is a thread some where. I do not recall if there was a specific thread though.

The only reason I know is because I tried it. I had my Spot totally disassembled when I had it repowdercoated. When I was building it back up I slapped some 05-06 RFX rockers on there to see how it sat and felt. The tire ended up bottoming on my FD stop. That was with a 2.35 Nevy. With out the stop in the middle it would have been OK.

I never went offroad with the 6" setup, but it felt pretty sweet riding around the driveway.

This was also a Large frame...i don't know if that makes a difference.
I doubt the frame size makes a difference. The 05-06 rockers are analogous to B type rockers from the old RFX, which gave that bike a lower BB and a slacker head angle. The A type rockers will make more room in the rear at bottom out, like they did on the old RFX, I wonder if you could make a 6.75in 5 Spot with that and the Avy DHS. :thumbsup:

That's cool.

_MK

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
MK_ said:
I doubt the frame size makes a difference. The 05-06 rockers are analogous to B type rockers from the old RFX, which gave that bike a lower BB and a slacker head angle. The A type rockers will make more room in the rear at bottom out, like they did on the old RFX, I wonder if you could make a 6.75in 5 Spot with that and the Avy DHS. :thumbsup:

That's cool.

_MK
I think you have the As and Bs backwards, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
.Danno. said:
I think you have the As and Bs backwards, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:
I'm out of it. According to this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=1417155, the new RFX has the B type rocker, which is what I said, everything else is backwards. My mistake.

To correct myself, the B type equals taller BB, steeper HA and more room for the tires/seat stay bridge. The A type gives a lower BB and slacker HA and could cause tire contact.

_MK

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
MK_ said:
I'm out of it. According to this thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=1417155, the new RFX has the B type rocker, which is what I said, everything else is backwards. My mistake.

To correct myself, the B type equals taller BB, steeper HA and more room for the tires/seat stay bridge. The A type gives a lower BB and slacker HA and could cause tire contact.

_MK
There may be some conflicting info in that thread, but

tscheezy said:
...Here is a 6-Pack front triangle mounted with Type B RFX rockers and stock 6-Pack rockers. Note the added height the B rockers would introduce. The Type A rockers are analagous to the Pack rockers...
I know my Pack rockers always appeared to be the same as 'A' type of old based on very sloppy measurements. ;)

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
Hmmm... what about 5.1 rockers on a RFX? Not the whole spot rear, but just the rockers? I have a set of the 5.1s sitting around looking for some action and I'm not really sure what they would do to the geo of my rFx.

If this has been discussed before ad nauseam, my apologies....

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
SilverSpot said:
Hmmm... what about 5.1 rockers on a RFX? Not the whole spot rear, but just the rockers? I have a set of the 5.1s sitting around looking for some action and I'm not really sure what they would do to the geo of my rFx.

It drops your bottom bracket about an inch, slackens out the head angle about a degree, etc. I'm running 5in plates on my 02 RFX and really love the geometry.

_MK

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
More Info

the results aren't the same on the new RFXs and the older RFXs. I had an '02 RFX and the 5" rockers did just what MK explained. It basically changed the old RFX into the 5SPOT (same geometry).

For some reason the 5" rockers did not effect the new RFXs the same way. I also had an '05 pack/RFX. The 5" rockers only dropped the BB about .25" and did little to the HA. Maybe because the new RFX rockers were like the original (Low BB, slack) RFX rockers.

Silverspot, with the 5.1 rockers your RFX might climb a bit better, but you will miss that extra inch on the way down. Atleast that is how I felt. For the small improvement on the way up, it was not worthit on the way down.....Your 5spot has been treating me well, and is in good hands.

TG

·
Just Grin and HUCK it...
855 Posts
Good info guys, thanks.

I may just throw the spot rockers on and check it out. Hey, it won't cost me anything, so what the heck... if I don't like it I can always just change 'em back :thumbsup:

Tim - glad to see my old ride is being treated/ridden well and that she didn't end up as wall art somewhere....

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
SilverSpot said:

The new RFX / Pack with the 5.1 or 5.3 rockers is a sweet ride. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.