Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a bike for my Sweet Love.

She's going to upgrade from a 1993 or so Specialized Hardrock so just about anything will be an improvement.

I've been looking on ebay for a while but have hesitated because I don't want to buy something that doesn't fit.

I live in a small town and my LBS has already alot to drive me away so that's not an option.

I'll buy used but new is also ok.

Anybody got a suggestion? What company has a good value these days?

Flaco

·
Registered
27 Posts
MTB Action Magazine is gave a favorable review to the $769 KHS XC-104. I would put more weight on the opnions on this forum as a general rule. But the review says it is basically a nice, durable entry level dual suspension bike that has good riding properties. Ususally, they don't review anything under $3k from my short time with the mag. A few here aggresively recommend IBEX too. But the most vocal proponents do not seem to own them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
angeloPB said:
MTB Action Magazine is gave a favorable review to the $769 KHS XC-104. I would put more weight on the opnions on this forum as a general rule. But the review says it is basically a nice, durable entry level dual suspension bike that has good riding properties. Ususally, they don't review anything under $3k from my short time with the mag. A few here aggresively recommend IBEX too. But the most vocal proponents do not seem to own them.
Thanks, we're going to be one town over where there is (or used to be) a KHS dealer on Saturday. We'll check it out.

Also, I guess I can be more specific...I'm looking for steel frame (taiwan made ok) with V brakes or Avid's, LX components and RS Judy or Manitou Black fork...or something close...for under $1000.

When I check Trek, Kona, Specialized, Fisher and Giant (am I missing any?) it looks like Fisher comes the closest to what I'm after.

I don't mind an aluminum frame...I don't mind disc brakes...but I they don't really hold value for me so I'd rather not pay extra.

Flaco

·
Registered
27 Posts
well I would go for a lighter frame unless FS. But forwhatever its worth, the article says the generic disc brakes on this bike are really great. I am sure you can get a really smokin' bike with that budget. It seems like the budget division is whether you want FS or hardtail.

I also really like the 2005 Cannondale F600. It has this raw aluminum finish with really cool P-51 graphics. Its a hardtail but a beautiful looking machine. Lightweight too. The LBS here has a small one for $850. But I need a med.

Cannondale and Kona make a lot of chick-specific frame designs. I don't know what the difference is in geometry. It is nice to buy something for a g/f that you can use yourself, however :>) Stereo, X-box, MTB etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
angeloPB said:
well I would go for a lighter frame unless FS. But forwhatever its worth, the article says the generic disc brakes on this bike are really great. I am sure you can get a really smokin' bike with that budget. It seems like the budget division is whether you want FS or hardtail.

I also really like the 2005 Cannondale F600. It has this raw aluminum finish with really cool P-51 graphics. Its a hardtail but a beautiful looking machine. Lightweight too. The LBS here has a small one for $850. But I need a med.

Cannondale and Kona make a lot of chick-specific frame designs. I don't know what the difference is in geometry. It is nice to buy something for a g/f that you can use yourself, however :>) Stereo, X-box, MTB etc.
Angelo,

If I bought her an Xbox 360, she'd kick my ass.

She's got about $750 to spend and I'm thinking I'll kick in the difference to get her at least LX components. I'm trying to stay away from Deore as it's just a pain in the ass to work on.

I'll check out the Cannondale. I always forget them. Back when I was really eating, sleeping and living mountain bikes, Can O Ale was always overpriced (and often broke). Maybe I'll give them another chance.

Flaco

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
flaco said:
Angelo,

If I bought her an Xbox 360, she'd kick my ass.

She's got about $750 to spend and I'm thinking I'll kick in the difference to get her at least LX components. I'm trying to stay away from Deore as it's just a pain in the ass to work on.

I'll check out the Cannondale. I always forget them. Back when I was really eating, sleeping and living mountain bikes, Can O Ale was always overpriced (and often broke). Maybe I'll give them another chance.

Flaco
I'll try to beat DogonFr, try IBEX. they have great value, customer service. That's what he says, anyway. I think you should at least see their line.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.