Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Local dealer has 1 set, a brand new pair. Price is $1150 out the door. Actual weight is 1566 grams.

» Reynolds XC 29er carbon wheelset

Hand built. Comes with end caps galore for 9mm, 15mm and 142. Truly one 29er set you could take to future frames and not worry about compatibility or swap between current 29er bikes I own.

If you're a carbon 29er wheel user - whether you use the Reynolds or passed on them - what're the pros and cons of these?

How do they compare to Roval carbon?? I know Roval 29er SL are about 150 grams less per pair, have DT Swiss hubs and a great warranty.

The hubs are not DT Swiss. In-house. Is that a red flag?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an older set I bought used. I weigh 240 with my gear and ride them on a steel SS. they are bomb proof. Have a buddy with the newer version and he really likes them. If you don't want them, I'll buy them for 1150. ;) I need a set for my pivot 429.

·
www.bigrobracing.co.uk
312 Posts

·
Ambi-Turner
125 Posts
No Name Rovals

I got a set of carbon 29er imitation Roval wheels from seller on MTBR. The biggest thing I noticed is how well the bike tracks in turns and holds its line at speed. I didn't notice a big improvement in climbing or getting up to speed, but once you got rolling, the wheels really shine. $1,150 is an amazing price and worth every penny for the Reynolds. Buy them!

·
Registered
333 Posts
$1,150 is a decent price. Colorado Cyclist has them from $1,200 right now. I've had a set since Jan. I love them and would agree with other comments about how stiff they are and how well they track. I would also say that I feel that they have great acceleration and they seem to hold their speed extremely wheel. A riding partner has a pair of the Rovals and he seem to like them. I don't think you can go wrong with the Reynolds if you can get past the weight difference of the Rovals....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts