Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
keepin' it rural
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a handful of folks getting bikes on Facebook and Instagram, but no ride reports. Anxious to hear some actual feedback on how the bikes ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First ride report (have went on a few rides since but everything below still applies)

Went out for a NTM loop this morning to put a test ride in on the new bike. The new GG carbon Smash was amazing.

Climbing - this was my first climb since the fall so fitness definitely wasn't there but it performed as well or better than any "big bike" I have ridden. The only issue I had was one understeer on a tight switchback but that is most definitely from not being used to the long wheelbase and something that will come together after a few rides once I get a feel for being on a bigger bike. That being said I did like it better than the SB130 I tested. Going up hill, neither wandered but I preferred how the steering felt on the Smash. It was efficient enough with the SD coil that I never even thought to hit the climb switch. It is no XC/Down country bike but I don't think anyone is expecting it to be.

Flat/Rolling terrain - The bike carried speed so well and the coil just stuck the rear end to the ground giving so much traction and a super smooth ride. I was blown away with the MRP ribbon on the singletrack that was rutted out from horse and sneaker tracks. I felt like I was on a smooth road, definitely the best small bump fork I have ridden. I wasn't sure where to mention sizing so I think this is the best place to talk about it. I am 6' with a 6'3" wingspan and the size 3 long postion with a 50mm stem fit me better than the alloy size L with the same size stem. I felt in a more natural position than I did on the large, which I feel like is worth mentioning since I see people worried about sizing. I thought the old L was a perfect fit and I was worried about the new bike being a touch small but I'm very happy with my choice.

Descending - I like goin fast. That decal in the top tube couldn't be more true. This bike crushes on the downs and gave me so much confidence with how responsive and natural it felt. I know people talk about GG not having the most plush ride but I think the trade off is having an extremely responsive ride. I am a little undersprung on the coil at the moment (on a coil for 200lbs but currently around 210lbs geared up) which could have made the ride more plush, but overall definitely no complaints on there being a harsh ride. On straight lines it was a bruiser that felt extremely stable, very similar to a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC or Yeti Sb130. However what I thought it did better was have more maneuverability to pick line choices better than other big bikes, which I was not expecting with the long wheelbase. When I wanted to deviate from the straight line I felt like I was on a smaller bike like an Evil Following MB, Pivot Trail429, or Santa Cruz Tallboy but with the extra insurance of more travel. Overall it was an awesome first time going downhill on the bike but NTM didn't have anything big enough for me to go through more than 80% of the travel (Fork currently at 150mm). I will have to report back on more once I can get to a little bit more rowdy terrain. One part worth noting was on the water bars on the downhills you could choose if you wanted to plow them and the wheel just stuck to the ground or with very minimal effort you could pop off of them. The versatility between playful and going for all out speed was amazing.

I hope this was helpful and answers some questions people had on the new bikes. I will give the disclaimer that it was only an 8 mile ride and I did just buy this bike for 4k. So even though I tried to be as unbiased as possible I know it had to have crept in a bit. Feel free to ask me any questions on the bike, I will be happy to answer (it is all I have been wanting to talk about).

·
Registered
432 Posts
I put some comments in the Smash thread.

I have a bit more rides on it now, but I still want more to get my full on opinion written down (disclosure: it's only getting better and better).

And yes, it is impact resistant.... Glad I wasn't on a lightweight, regular, carbon last weekend!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Regarding understeer. One thing you can do weight the front end more is move the stem down a headset spacer(e.g move the spacer above the stem). Not sure which size spacers you are working with. You can go small increments.

Thanks for posting. I am 6'1 and on an extra medium right now (long length). I am happy with my alloy smash. I thought about picking up another gg bike to replace my 2015 ibis hd3(maybe a mega trail).

·
always licking the glass
3,000 Posts
Regarding understeer. One thing you can do weight the front end more is move the stem down a headset spacer(e.g move the spacer above the stem). Not sure which size spacers you are working with. You can go small increments.

Thanks for posting. I am 6'1 and on an extra medium right now (long length). I am happy with my alloy smash. I thought about picking up another gg bike to replace my 2015 ibis hd3(maybe a mega trail).
I went from an Ibis HD3 to the Megatrail. I can give you some insight on the differences between the two. I won't be able to give you any insight on the Revved frame until I get mine (size 2).

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
First ride report (have went on a few rides since but everything below still applies)

Went out for a NTM loop this morning to put a test ride in on the new bike. The new GG carbon Smash was amazing.

Climbing - this was my first climb since the fall so fitness definitely wasn't there but it performed as well or better than any "big bike" I have ridden. The only issue I had was one understeer on a tight switchback but that is most definitely from not being used to the long wheelbase and something that will come together after a few rides once I get a feel for being on a bigger bike. That being said I did like it better than the SB130 I tested. Going up hill, neither wandered but I preferred how the steering felt on the Smash. It was efficient enough with the SD coil that I never even thought to hit the climb switch. It is no XC/Down country bike but I don't think anyone is expecting it to be.

Flat/Rolling terrain - The bike carried speed so well and the coil just stuck the rear end to the ground giving so much traction and a super smooth ride. I was blown away with the MRP ribbon on the singletrack that was rutted out from horse and sneaker tracks. I felt like I was on a smooth road, definitely the best small bump fork I have ridden. I wasn't sure where to mention sizing so I think this is the best place to talk about it. I am 6' with a 6'3" wingspan and the size 3 long postion with a 50mm stem fit me better than the alloy size L with the same size stem. I felt in a more natural position than I did on the large, which I feel like is worth mentioning since I see people worried about sizing. I thought the old L was a perfect fit and I was worried about the new bike being a touch small but I'm very happy with my choice.

Descending - I like goin fast. That decal in the top tube couldn't be more true. This bike crushes on the downs and gave me so much confidence with how responsive and natural it felt. I know people talk about GG not having the most plush ride but I think the trade off is having an extremely responsive ride. I am a little undersprung on the coil at the moment (on a coil for 200lbs but currently around 210lbs geared up) which could have made the ride more plush, but overall definitely no complaints on there being a harsh ride. On straight lines it was a bruiser that felt extremely stable, very similar to a Rocky Mountain Instinct BC or Yeti Sb130. However what I thought it did better was have more maneuverability to pick line choices better than other big bikes, which I was not expecting with the long wheelbase. When I wanted to deviate from the straight line I felt like I was on a smaller bike like an Evil Following MB, Pivot Trail429, or Santa Cruz Tallboy but with the extra insurance of more travel. Overall it was an awesome first time going downhill on the bike but NTM didn't have anything big enough for me to go through more than 80% of the travel (Fork currently at 150mm). I will have to report back on more once I can get to a little bit more rowdy terrain. One part worth noting was on the water bars on the downhills you could choose if you wanted to plow them and the wheel just stuck to the ground or with very minimal effort you could pop off of them. The versatility between playful and going for all out speed was amazing.

I hope this was helpful and answers some questions people had on the new bikes. I will give the disclaimer that it was only an 8 mile ride and I did just buy this bike for 4k. So even though I tried to be as unbiased as possible I know it had to have crept in a bit. Feel free to ask me any questions on the bike, I will be happy to answer (it is all I have been wanting to talk about).
Pretty much all my same feelings as well. I have learned also that compared to my old bike, tighter corners require a bit more body english. This more than likely comes from the longer wheelbase and could be "helped" by using a shorter offset fork. But after a few rides you get used to it.

For mine I upgraded to the coil shock (RS Super Deluxe Coil) and this is my first time having a coil shock. On the more "trail" oriented rides the thing just sticks to the ground with LOADS of traction however I have found that you can easily pop off items if you want to. At the very end/beginning of one local trail we have a nice dip that goes into a good jump. Based on the speed you are carrying into the drop to jump you can easily get some air. On my old bike it would pop out pretty easily but never would get much air, on the SMASH holy crap I have to seriously cut back my speed or she wants to vault me like I am sending it in Whistler!! LOL

Much like above said, climbing the bike does not feel "spritely" but definitely doesn't feel sluggish either. Unscientific weight of mine is currently at 35# but she pedals just as easily as my old trail bike which was right around 30#. Mind you old bike is a Spesh Stumpjumper FSR 2013 clone (see my Thumper thread) and has been a great bike.

My only gripe at this point is I wish I would have spent the extra money and upgraded the fork. For my terrain the YARI RC is absolute garbage and gets overwhelmed quickly as soon as the trail turns to even the most reasonable amount of high speed chatter. Mind you I am coming from a 2016 SR Suntour Auron PCS RC2 (high end trail fork) and while that thing wasn't the lightest fork around, damn does it suck up everything and eat it for breakfast. More than likely this thing will get sold before the end of the season as from what I have been reading, while the Charger/2 damper is better it still isn't great.

Also, for the record I went with the Ride2 build with the upgrade shock to the RS SD Coil but everything else the same.
My specs are; 6ft tall, +1.5" apex index, 31" inseam and 190-193# RTR. SD Coil has a 400# spring on it and I am thinking I may give a 350# spring a try down the road just for shits and giggles. I purchased the Size 3 and it came with a 50mm stem in the long position. I ended up slamming the saddle back in the rails and leaving it in this configuration and feel completely natural and at home. I may tinker some this weekend and see how the "short" position for the fork feels. But other than that I have been perfectly happy with the fit!

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
My specs are; 6ft tall, +1.5" apex index, 31" inseam and 190-193# RTR. SD Coil has a 400# spring on it and I am thinking I may give a 350# spring a try down the road just for shits and giggles.
I'm surprised to hear you want to go down 50lbs on that spring. I've got the same shock on a 2018 Smash, I'm probably 5lbs heavier than you and started with a 475lb spring [30% sag] and then tried a 500lb spring [25%sag] - both ride pretty well. If I went any lower I'd be bottoming out like mad.

·
Your bike sucks
2,219 Posts
I went from an Ibis HD3 to the Megatrail. I can give you some insight on the differences between the two. I won't be able to give you any insight on the Revved frame until I get mine (size 2).
Since one of the bikes I'm downsizing & selling is my HD3, I'd be interested to hear your opinion. My megaTrail build is going to be more of a 1/2 pt between my lift-serve Canfield One and my trail HD3. Why not do everything just a little bit worse?;)

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you want to go down 50lbs on that spring. I've got the same shock on a 2018 Smash, I'm probably 5lbs heavier than you and started with a 475lb spring [30% sag] and then tried a 500lb spring [25%sag] - both ride pretty well. If I went any lower I'd be bottoming out like mad.
Yeah I still need to mess with the coil shock to understand it better. I believe I have 15mm of preload, 4 or 5 clicks of low speed don’t remember the clicks of rebound.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Yeah I still need to mess with the coil shock to understand it better. I believe I have 15mm of preload, 4 or 5 clicks of low speed don’t remember the clicks of rebound.
That's way too much preload. Unscrew the preload collar just until the spring starts to be able to clang around and then just tighten it a turn or two until the spring can't move. Go with the least you can get away.

I also ran that shock with the LSC wide open as it was so heavily damped. You are running a ton of LSC if you account for the minimum already present in the shock.

That would explain why you want a lighter spring, but I'd go the other way:

- minimal preload
- minimal LSC
- stiffer spring

When I had my shock custom tuned this winter I had them reduce the shock's LSC as even at zero LSC it was heavily damped.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Ok thanks for the info Vikb. I will give that a shot and see how things transpire.

And just to clarify, when you say minimal of something you mean all the way to the negative side or fast (rabbit) side correct?!
For the preload minimal is the least amount of spring compression. For the LSC I think there is + or - sign and you want it all the way open to start which is all the way to the - side.

Rebound I did not run all the way open/minimal. I set it based on how the back end responded on jumps. I'd start fairly open and then dial it in until you don't feel like you are getting bucked forward when you get in the air.

I would also measure the sag of your spring with zero LSC and no preload. See what you get. You can use the rubber bump stop like an O ring on an airshock to see how much the bike sags when you are seated, dropper up and it your normal riding position. GG recommends between 25% and 30% depending on how you ride and your preferences. If you are way below or way above that you need a different spring.

You need to get the right spring in the shock first and then adjust the it from there.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Nicely done! I took Maddy (my Smash) down a different trail last night that is more buff and flow than rocky, chundery and she kept begging for more speed. Think in that run I gained like 4 PRs and 9 medals total! And that was even with sitting and waiting for my buddy multiple times due to mechanicals.

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Anyone got a Shred Dogg yet? Mine arrives tomorrow
:)

Gonna swap everything from the Smash, starting with a 27+29 140mm Pike to get a feel for the geo; same A-C as a 27.5 150mm fork.

Thinking about a Fox 36, though I wonder if a 34 can take the abuse. I’d really like this bike to be lightweight, but not wanting to compromise stiffness; I’m 200#.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thinking about a Fox 36, though I wonder if a 34 can take the abuse. I’d really like this bike to be lightweight, but not wanting to compromise stiffness; I’m 200#.
Every 36 I have ridden has felt better than any 34 I have ridden. I prefer the pike and Lyrik over the 34 too. I just have yet to get one of the 34s to feel right at 210#

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
I'd get the 36, a Lyrik or Ribbon.
Okay, so fork choices:

MRP Ribbon Air 150, 1888gm
Cane Creek Helm 150, 2070gm
Fox 34 Elite 150, 1770gm
Fox 36 Elite 150, 1997gm
Pike RC2 150, 1850gm

I ride a Pike now with an MRP cartridge, it rides fine
Never had a Fox on my bikes, but my wife has a 36 Elite on her bike and it rides fine
I rode an MRP Coil and didn't like it for teh coil, but it seemed like a good fork, local design is always nice
Never rode a Helm, generally I like Cane Creek, some of their stuff is finicky, the Helm is heavy like a 36, hard to know if it's a better choice.

I am weight conscious, 200gm is nearly 1/2#, which is not a little but of weight on my front end, but too little fork means flex inducing stiction and more deflection.

I'm 200#, old guy, my riding is much more trail these days than agro, staying closer to the ground, still ride fast, mostly chunder, small drops, no park, think Whole Enchilada, Ahab, Mag 7 as my kind of riding.

So the big question: If I felt a Pike was adequate, would a Fox 34 be an equivallent fork? It's the lightest and it "matches" my shock :)

Otherwise I'm leaning toward the Ribbon Air or Pike, the Helm and 36 seem overkill for a short travel 27.5 bike unless they are so amazing that it'll make me a better rider.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Okay, so fork choices:

MRP Ribbon Air 150, 1888gm
Cane Creek Helm 150, 2070gm
Fox 34 Elite 150, 1770gm
Fox 36 Elite 150, 1997gm
Pike RC2 150, 1850gm

I ride a Pike now with an MRP cartridge, it rides fine
Never had a Fox on my bikes, but my wife has a 36 Elite on her bike and it rides fine
I rode an MRP Coil and didn't like it for teh coil, but it seemed like a good fork, local design is always nice
Never rode a Helm, generally I like Cane Creek, some of their stuff is finicky, the Helm is heavy like a 36, hard to know if it's a better choice.

I am weight conscious, 200gm is nearly 1/2#, which is not a little but of weight on my front end, but too little fork means flex inducing stiction and more deflection.

I'm 200#, old guy, my riding is much more trail these days than agro, staying closer to the ground, still ride fast, mostly chunder, small drops, no park, think Whole Enchilada, Ahab, Mag 7 as my kind of riding.

So the big question: If I felt a Pike was adequate, would a Fox 34 be an equivallent fork? It's the lightest and it "matches" my shock :)

Otherwise I'm leaning toward the Ribbon Air or Pike, the Helm and 36 seem overkill for a short travel 27.5 bike unless they are so amazing that it'll make me a better rider.
Fox 34 with GRIP damper is significantly more subtle than the PIKE RC2. I have had both and preferred the Fox. The PIKE RCT3 is a good fork too; better than the RC versions to be sure. Both Fox 34 Elite GRIP and RCT3 are stiff and don't suffer from stiction. Fox weighs less too. While I haven't ridden the Factory 34 Step-Cast, it should be an amazing fork too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What was it just the weight of the MRP coil that you didn't like? I'm waiting on a ride 4 (Smash) and still deliberating on suspension. I'm on the front range CO, so MRP is where I'm leaning, but thinking about coils front and rear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts