Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Reviews on 2009 Stumpy Comp

1K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  kj69 
#1 ·
Can anybody comment on the 2009 Stumpjumper FSR Comp? I have been riding a 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disc (100 mm) for about four years now and am ready to upgrade. I've been riding for about 13 years and ride east Texas trails which are mostly XC with some climbs, drops and technical single track. I'm looking for something with more travel and comfort and something I can get more aggressive on. Thanks!

#6 ·
Yeah, I have three specialized bikes. They all fit me very well and my riding style. However not all brands make a bike that pefectly fits all riders. Most brands however have a gem or two in their line-up that has that right mix of component/design/fit for a rider.

#7 ·
Yeah I've been looking around for a while. problem is not much selection here in Houston, TX. Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale, Santa Cruz, Giant and maybe Kona. Anybody have experience with Kona? Are their FS bikes pretty efficient?

#8 ·
Doesn't seem like a bad selection actually. If you are thinking stump fsr style of bikes then try the following: Trek Fuel EX/Fisher Hifi/Cannondale Rize/Santa Cruz Heckler or BLT/Giant Trance or Kona 120 or something or other. Those all seem to be same style of bike. After you do your test riding don't forget to include the shop into your decision. You might love the BLT for example but think about if you need to get it serviced. Is the shop helpful or not? What kind of vibe do you get when you go there. Now if you do your own wrenching that won't matter so much. Also think about the support of the company that makes the bike. You might love the Kona but your research might show that people had problems with something and were told to go fly a kite (just a hypothetical). I know spesh has excellent customer service for a fact. Also what are your buddies riding? That should help with your decision.

That being said, I have had 4 stumpjumpers (2 FSR's, 1 26HT, 1 29HT) and they have all been great bikes.

#9 ·
I just got my 09' Stumpjumper fsr comp a couple of weeks ago, thanks santa. I love the bike. If you like Specialized and your riding singletrack xc, go for it! You will not be disappointed. I live in Northeast TN and the trails around here offer a little bit of everything. I noticed that my riding style has changed since riding the bike. I'm much more aggressive and faster than I was on my Cannondale hardtail. I recently tried out a four foot drop that about killed me on the Cannondale, but was no big deal on the Stumpy. I agree with the other posts, that there are other bikes you may like better. I tested out the Trek Fuel and liked it. I didn't care for the Cannondale Rise. I would have liked to try out more bikes, but the selection around here is not that good, don't know why. I am very biased toward the Stumpy now that I own one. Good Luck!

Kevin

#10 ·
Yeah another big facor is the specialized/Trek dealer is about four miles from my house so taking the stumpy in for service shouldn't be an issue, bought my first one there. so you guys riding the 08 and 09 stumpjumpers feel like you can get pretty agressive on it without worries. Short drops and stuff like that? My 2004 has 100mm of travel front and back and I've been bottoming out the rear fox triad on xc trails.

#11 ·
I've gotten way more aggressive since I bought my 08 Stumpy Comp. That said, I just bought new wheels: I was breaking spokes on my rear wheel every other ride, then it progressed to every ride, and that sucks for someone who rides 3-5 times a week. And that was my second rear wheel (first one was replaced under warranty when the freehub died 2 months into it) and I've had the bike since last May. I took the opportunity to get some "all-mountain" hand-built wheels. I've also had to replace the bearings in the suspension right below the seat once. Despite those issues, I still love how stable the bike is through rough terrain, and how it climbs and especially how it descends. Now I'm riding skinnies and smaller drops that I always skipped, and even going down the steeps.

If you're buying this bike to ride it on flat/mellow trails or paved trails or roadway at any point, though, prepare for a not fun ride. It wasn't designed for that, and it doesn't feel good doing it. In my opinion that is why a lot of people complain about the suspension having bob, they bought the wrong bike for the application. Don't forget that 10 years ago we were pretty much calling 120mm and beyond a downhill bike. Be prepared, owning this bike will make you do bigger things, and ultimately make you want a bigger bike (I'm personally fantasizing about a SC Nomad, or an Spec Enduro if they ever would put a 36 and a coil shock on it).

#13 ·
So would you categorize the stumpy as xc, trail or all mountain? I'd say I'm looking for a trail bike I can get a little more agressive on during the downhill sections of the trails we have here in east Texas. Something I wouldn't have to worry so much about picking a line with.

I also considered the 09 enduro comp sl but none of the shops here stock them and the shops say it's too much for what we have around here. I was also concerned with pedal bob on a six inch bike since I still want somthing nimble and responsive.

It sounds like you have been getting pretty nasty on your stumpy and liking it. To me that is a good sign!

#14 ·
So what do you think about the 90 enduro comp sl? They put a single crown fox fork on it, 150 mm. Do you think it would be as nimle and responsive as a stumpy when climbing and in the flats or would you be giving some of that up for the extra travel. I've never ridden one.

#15 ·
In my opinion, and there are many other opinions out there, the Stumpy qualifies as All-Mountain. I don't get the whole "XC Trail" classification. I can remember doing everything on one bike; going over logs, climbing, descending, racing, and the list goes on. I see some on here saying the Enduro is an all around bike that they use for everything, but when I look at the spec for the Comp and see that it is very similar (almost exactly the same) as the Stumpy Comp I question if it can really do what I think (in my opinion) a six inch bike should do for me at my height, weight, and riding style.

The single crown fork on the 09 would be much better for me personally (MUCH better turning radius), but when I demoed the SL I found it to be nowhere near as nimble as the Stumpjumper, but I was coming from an XC race bike. But, I can't say that with a burlier spec, I don't daydream about the possibilities of owning one. But it needs a burlier spec for someone like me (but then again, so did the Stumpjumper).

#16 ·
Yeah I've never ridden an enduro but if you look at both comps side by side they are the same design just different travel lenghts and of course nearly a thousand dollars in price. The stumpy would probably best siute my needs of the two since most of what I'm doing is trail riding, no major drops or jumps. What upgrades have any of you guys made to your 08s and 09 stumpys?

#17 ·
Thomson Elite Setback Seatpost (wouldn't leave the shop without one, the owner took it off his bike to make the sale)
Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on the front, 2.1 on the rear (best upgrade for the Pac N-West, ever!)
SRAM PG 990 Cassette (got it cheap, was going to at least pop on an XT, I swear it shifts better with this cassette, maybe it's just my imagination)
Stan's NoTubes (converting the stock wheels is really easy)
Juicy 7 Brakes (I destroyed one of the calipers apparently, so I upgraded)
DT Swiss 510 Rims, Laced to DT 420s Hubs (picking them up tomorrow)

Almost all of my "upgrades" were done because I broke/destroyed stuff. Unfortunately, my bike shop knows that I'm a bit hard on the bike, so I've only gotten one wheel under warranty. The setback seatpost was a personal preference after riding the bike around outside the shop, but after switching back and forth between the two, I like it better (I hear the new ones come with a setback). You should just buy the bike and upgrade as you break it. If there seems to be a certain tire that everyone likes in your area, you should switch to that. The Captains were OK (now they are on my XC Race Bike), but I personally didn't like them for me on the Stumpy.

#18 ·
Yeah just saw that. Only diff besides travel is one gets an AFR shock the other Fox Triad. If you do decide on the stumpy keep in mind it is cheaper in the long run to buy the most bike you can when initially. Economies of scale. So if you can get an Elite, or a left over 08 or possibly test bike then go for it.

#19 ·
I have an 08 Stumpy that I'm currently selling to upgrade to a higher end bike. I liked my Stumpy, I've ridden XC to some small DH riding. Having the right air psi in the shocks makes a world of difference!! My bro was looking for a bike and the LBS tried to sell him a bike that was more expensive. No big deal right? Well the LBS had him ride a stumpy with too much psi in the shocks and it rhode horrible. While he was riding the LBS adjusted the air psi in the shocks correctly on a Fisher. After airing the shocks on the Stumpy correctly he chose it for ride quality. IF all things being equal and the setup being correct the Stumpy is a very capable bikes that tops the list.

#21 ·
I've 5 inches of travel front and rear and I've never bottomed out the shocks. I hit a pretty big jump on it a week ago and came close to bottoming it out. If your going to use the bike super aggressively, like downhill, you should check out a bike with more travel. However, I don't think you will find a trail bike with more travel than the Stumpy. Don't forget, you want a bike that climbs well too. Those bikes with over 5 inches of travel may not climb as well as you want or need. Talk to the LBS about your options. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.