Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Special eyes said:
From the Reviews on this Forum
Links?
Only reason I could think of is the expert buyers have higher expectations and the bikes really aren't that different. I assume your talking about 2010 bikes because to my knowledge their isn't a 2011 epic expert

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a year specific , it's just since 2006 the Expert reviews were less positive than the other Epic models. Just curious as to the reasoning. I mean for the Comp to get much higher positive reviews than the Expert was interesting because one would think the Expert was equiped with a stronger component group.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
GTR2ebike said:
Links?
Only reason I could think of is the expert buyers have higher expectations and the bikes really aren't that different. I assume your talking about 2010 bikes because to my knowledge their isn't a 2011 epic expert
There's a 2011 Specialized Epic Expert 29er.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52786&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

There's also a 2011 Specialized Epic Expert 26" , just not in the US for some reason.:)

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=53244&scid=1000&scname=Mountain

·
Registered
470 Posts
2009 Epic Expert with Rovale EL wheelset

I messed around and found a $275 used-for-one-season Rovale Controle EL wheelset for my Epic Expert. I use the S-Works Fast Trak tires tubeless.

The bike weighs 24 lbs and 7 oz with Eggbeater SL pedals.

The bike with little old me goes so fast that at times I think it has wings. Hit the pedals and I really, really, REALLY do not understand how the damn thing powers up the way it does.

So if you want to fly around the trail faster than your normal pace with no added effort I'd go for one of these bikes. Wheelsets are everything however and going from a 2000 gm wheelset with tubes to a 1425 wheelset without tubes will shock you as to how much different it feels when you give it your best power.

The geometry of the 2009 is different from the 2005 which I used to own. With the 2005 you sat on top of the bike (I should say "It feels this way") and on the 2009 bike you sit in the cockpit. How did they do this to me? I have no clue. But I can ride the 2009 for 2 and 1/2 hours without stopping and feel just dandy when I get off the bike. I was too bent over on the 2005 and was anxious to get off after 30 minutes or so.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sitting in the cockpit

From what I have read it was 2009. One of the bike reviews for the Epic Expert mentions it saying something like, "Until this year we always felt as if the Epic needed....(and I can't remember how they worded it).

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a previous reply stated, I think that at higher price point and performance level comes a more serious degree of scrutiny. Many of the people commenting on expert level Epics have high expectations. These are only met by changing out components and/or parts that meet their functional performance to the highest degree. On the trail, I just want something that feels great, works flawlessly and keeps me wishing I could ride all day.

Everyone has their own take, for me I wasn't sold on the spec of the 2011 Epic Expert because of wheel set and components, I ended up getting a deal on a 2010 Epic Marathon. Despite only having limited rides so far, the SRAM XX is ridiculous and the bike is solid in every aspect. Forum posts helped me make the decision because of people's experiences good or bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.