Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Santa brought me another torch for Christmas. This time a 5-mode version of the same model P-7 torch I already had. I really didn't plan on doing a review of this torch as I have a couple new lights to play with but the improvements on this model were so good I felt it was worth mentioning. (* This is the torch > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 )

I already had both a 2-mode C-bin and a 5-mode D-bin model and as such this gives me something to compare it to. This new 5-mode C-bin model blows the old D-bin model away, at least as far as quality goes. Interestingly, the emitter looks very different from the other models I own. The dome looks a bit smaller and it appears slightly frosted ( or clouded might be a better word ). Also the reflector is a more tighter fit around the emitter. This gives the beam a more tighter hot spot which translates over to more throw. The greatest improvement over my other 5-mode is the medium setting. The medium setting on this new torch is outstanding!. With a fresh battery it looks like >300lm. I did a quick comparison with my Dinotte ( 600L ) on medium and the two beams were surprisingly close in intensity. Even the low setting is quite bright, maybe 120lm with fresh battery.

It does however have some low points. The torch is suppose to have memory but the one I have doesn't seem to have it. Also it starts off in medium mode, then goes to low, then to high. After that it goes through the two flash modes which I find somewhat useless. Of course if you turn the light off and then back on again ( in any mode ) it will start up again in medium mode. Maybe that is what they are referring to as memory. I suppose this is not too bad because the medium mode is perhaps the most useful mode. Lastly, the clicky button is a bit stiff and a little hard to press.

Regardless of the negatives, this might well be the nicest P-7 torch I have owned. When the weather permits I can't wait to do some beam comparisons and some run-time tests. I have a feeling this is gonna make a very nice bike torch for the bars...Heck, with that tighter spot maybe even good for the helmet!

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Friek! I was thinking of doing a beam photo comparison of some of my torches over the weekend but that was before I looked outside and saw that it was snowing and that three inches are already on the ground with more to come...:madman: Work today is gonna be a *****. Snow and holiday traffic don't mix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agreed. Even when I can ride to work through the snow, I don't just to avoid being hit. No light is bright enough to be avoided by all the idiots.

I wish DX would be more accurate on their descriptions. I ordered sku 18694 the other day, based purely on their descriptions. I might have ordered one someone has personally reviewed if their descriptions were more accurate. Thinking it had a plastic reflector completely ruled it out for me.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anno said:
....I might have ordered one someone has personally reviewed if their descriptions were more accurate. Thinking it had a plastic reflector completely ruled it out for me.
I suppose aluminum is better in that it might help sink some of the heat but other than that, is there some other reason why you didn't want the plastic reflector? Both seem to work fine. Just curious...

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I had the original, the plastic reflector got heat damaged so thats a worthy upgrade when it was new it kicked butt though currently on a mates road bike with a auroro reflector I had to shrink to make fit that arrived and died in under 2mins :(

I'm using this P7 on my head currently.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22567

Haven't put much time on it yet it's not a thrower but it's spot isn't far off my XP-E R2 280Lumen and it's huge with a huge see everything spread of light, also unlike other P7's the output is very very white which makes up for the lack of focusing.

Cheap to :)

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gticlay said:
Yeah well what about it? ;) I can't answer a question about a torch I don't own but I do believe there is a review ( from last year ) from a person who was using that particular model who was very pleased. I do however own another older version of the 5-mode that looks a lot like that model. > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
I was very pleased with it when I first got it but there was a problem with the electronics and LED. Since it proved unreliable I decided to get another model. However it did have an aluminum reflector and the torch body was very well made. It is also easy to disassemble so perhaps if I get a spare P-7 led I might try to fix it. The thing is these torches are so inexpensive that buying a new one is not that much more money. ( @ $35 ) Besides, you can always use the old ones for parts ( which I have already done :thumbsup: )

·
Carbon8er
1,419 Posts
Cat, I have that same light, without the modes. It's a great flashlight
That flashlight is how I got the idea to mod the Marwi lights.

I took my FL apart and noticed that the reflector dropped right into the Marwi body

Hard to believe that a manufacturer would ship a P7 light with a plastic reflector.
Anywho, if you guys have a plastic reflector, then you may be able to upgrade it to my machined reflector. I mill the threaded collar off and open up the center hole to accept a P7.

The same reflector fits 35mm diameter flashlights and the Marwi halogen bike light bodies
It's on my web store catalog page.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Cat-man-do said:
Yeah well what about it? ;) I can't answer a question about a torch I don't own but I do believe there is a review ( from last year ) from a person who was using that particular model who was very pleased. I do however own another older version of the 5-mode that looks a lot like that model. > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22569
I was very pleased with it when I first got it but there was a problem with the electronics and LED. Since it proved unreliable I decided to get another model. However it did have an aluminum reflector and the torch body was very well made. It is also easy to disassemble so perhaps if I get a spare P-7 led I might try to fix it. The thing is these torches are so inexpensive that buying a new one is not that much more money. ( @ $35 ) Besides, you can always use the old ones for parts ( which I have already done :thumbsup: )
See - you DID help me out even though you don't own one :thumbsup: I'd love to mod a couple just like EI34 did on his website. They are so clean and small. The Magicshine is so ugly.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turveyd said:
Cat-Man-Do that P7 D-Bin has the highest output ( According to Moggy ), more than our MC-E we had originally, I think he works it out as 700 real lumens and cheap.

Get 1 and compare!!
Well I did have one, only mine had something wrong with it. It probably was a tad brighter than the C-bin. Unfortunately mine had one burnt out die and so had 25% less output. It still works but occasionally I have to bang on it to make it work. Not the kind of thing you want to deal with when you're out in the woods at night. I don't see a D-bin P-7 emitter on the D/X web site. Even if they did it would likely be around $15. Since the driver on mine cuts out likely something wrong with that as well. In a case like this, unless you have a spare P-7 emitter laying around you're better off just buying another torch ( which is what I did only not another D-bin )

Now what I'd REALLY like to do is mod the old P-7 torch with a SST-50 LED. If I did that to my Aurora ( with MC-E ) It would likely make it brighter and eliminate the small multi-dice artifact in the beam pattern. The only problem is I would hate to screw around with a perfectly good torch. Better to use the old P-7 and see what happens first. Now all I have to do is find a SST-50 mounted on a 20mm round PCB. :ihih:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Not seen Moggys SST-50 yet, hopefully this week depending on the sheet ice thats around at the time.

Thankfully at $30 to me the SF-15 is a disposable item despite the nearly 2months it took to arrive :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Cat-man-do said:
Santa brought me another torch for Christmas. This time a 5-mode version of the same model P-7 torch I already had. I really didn't plan on doing a review of this torch as I have a couple new lights to play with but the improvements on this model were so good I felt it was worth mentioning. (* This is the torch > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12060 )!
Man, and this just after I made 2 custom compact XPG tripple based lights 3 weeks ago for the Costa Rica trip I´m currently on ;)

I came in a tad over that DX price ...lol, by a lot ...but my lumens are impressive non the less and has been worth the cost for lighting my way through caving and jungle hiking etc.

Thanks for the update, and may get me one when i get back home ...steal at that price i must add.

Santa didn´t bring me anything this year either ;( ...except monkeys and odd jungle creatures i suppose!

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sdnative said:
Man, and this just after I made 2 custom compact XPG tripple based lights 3 weeks ago for the Costa Rica trip I´m currently on ;) ...
Santa brought me a custom XPG triple as well ( K-Lite ). I hadn't had too much time to play with it yet but on high it pretty much looks to beat anything else I have as far as bar lights go. Not to mention that it uses the quad-18650 Luminous battery holder which works very well. At about 1000lm the triple XP-G K-Lite is hard to beat both for it's compactness, it's brightness and it's efficiency. Still, these P-7 torches are worthy opponents for their self-contained simplicity / usable output at a price that almost anyone can afford.

Yeppers...Santa did me well this year although I do believe he boosted my Master Card when I wasn't look'in..;) :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.