Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding the chilcotin with bos deville for over a year now. Fork is very good. It's light and for all mountain duties it tracks very well. Has many adjustments which are noticeably different with every click.

I've taken the fox talas 140-180 off my intense ss and sent it to avalanche for the cartridge based on the reviews on this forum.

Been using it all mountain now for a week and it's brilliant! I ride single tracks, rocky downhills, techy climbs, fireroads and it's ALL good! Unbelievably so and right out of the box. I didn't have to set the pressures or touch the dials.

Benefits are:
- holds it's ride height very well. No diving on body movements
- very plush and supple yet doesn't blow through the travel. It's very controlled. Now matches the CCDB coil i have on the rear nicely.
- chilcotin i think rides extremely well with 140mm travel. Turns are quicker and because of the great dampening it still doesn't blow through the travel. I like :)
- in 180 mode of course it's just a beast on the downhill. I haven't had the confidence to push it that hard through the rock gardens yet cause i'm still getting used to it. The bos fork used to dive and deflect when pushed hard so it takes awhile to find the limits of the talas which is very stiff in comparison. Allows you to bulldoze through the rock gardens which I love.

Personally I love the stiffness that the talas fork has in those 36mm stanchions. Only downside so far is the weight but this doesn't bother me as I find climbing in 140mm is easier than a lighter 160mm deville.

Overall those guys at avalanche really know what they're doing. A+++
Chilcotin I think rides best in 140 for all mountain duties. Makes it a fast turning bike which I love. When going downhill 180 is superb :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I've been riding the chilcotin with bos deville for over a year now. Fork is very good. It's light and for all mountain duties it tracks very well. Has many adjustments which are noticeably different with every click.

I've taken the fox talas 140-180 off my intense ss and sent it to avalanche for the cartridge based on the reviews on this forum.

Been using it all mountain now for a week and it's brilliant! I ride single tracks, rocky downhills, techy climbs, fireroads and it's ALL good! Unbelievably so and right out of the box. I didn't have to set the pressures or touch the dials.

Benefits are:
- holds it's ride height very well. No diving on body movements
- very plush and supple yet doesn't blow through the travel. It's very controlled. Now matches the CCDB coil i have on the rear nicely.
- chilcotin i think rides extremely well with 140mm travel. Turns are quicker and because of the great dampening it still doesn't blow through the travel. I like :)
- in 180 mode of course it's just a beast on the downhill. I haven't had the confidence to push it that hard through the rock gardens yet cause i'm still getting used to it. The bos fork used to dive and deflect when pushed hard so it takes awhile to find the limits of the talas which is very stiff in comparison. Allows you to bulldoze through the rock gardens which I love.

Personally I love the stiffness that the talas fork has in those 36mm stanchions. Only downside so far is the weight but this doesn't bother me as I find climbing in 140mm is easier than a lighter 160mm deville.

Overall those guys at avalanche really know what they're doing. A+++
Chilcotin I think rides best in 140 for all mountain duties. Makes it a fast turning bike which I love. When going downhill 180 is superb :)
Nice review Tom, cheers.

I put XX1 and a TFTuned CCDB Coil on the Chili and it improved climbing alot.

Im thinking of trying an angle set on the Chili to knock a degree off and sticking with 160 forks (ava'd vans), to improve cornering in tight switchbacks...interesting you like it at 140...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice review Tom, cheers.

I put XX1 and a TFTuned CCDB Coil on the Chili and it improved climbing alot.

Im thinking of trying an angle set on the Chili to knock a degree off and sticking with 160 forks (ava'd vans), to improve cornering in tight switchbacks...interesting you like it at 140...

I've got 32 ring up front narrow/wide. Love the single ring. Have not dropped a chain since.

Not sure what this TFTuned is but i've got the CCDB with titanium coil and have not needed to adjust it since setting to stock as per website. I like a lot.

I found it interesting that it handles so well in 140 mode. Feels like a fast trail bike. I think usually my experiences on forks with 150mm or less have 32mm stanchions. They feel really weak and dive too easily. Cause the 36mm talas is a beast of a fork i can bash through a lot even in the 140mm setting. Of course the excellent dampening has a lot to do with it. Enjoying it more than it was in 160 mode.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
cfrench, what did TF tune on your CCDB coil? did not know that was an option ...
when you buy the shock direct from them they take it apart and make sure everything is tickety boo (they are the CC service centre for the UK), whether they custom anything internal I don't know.

settings they produced for enduro/dh were:

hsr: 3 turns from min
lsr: 14 clicks from max
hsc: 1 turn in from min
lsc: 20 clicks out from max

it tracks really well and matches the ava'd van fork up front.

its pedalling really well and ploughing through the rough, its definitely worthy of an enduro race now, if only I was fitter!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts