Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
cgrim said:
Is there any SRAM model of rear derailleur with the reverse spring?
(something like Shimano XT / XTR "RapidRise")
SRAM X series shifts good without having to have such a setup. RapidRise is a way that Shimano has attempted to overcome the sluggish shifting in their system. Another good way to overcome Shimano sluggishness is to install an Avid Rollamajig. The best solution, however, is to dump it and go with SRAM:)

·
Giant Robot
185 Posts
Good God, I hope not

But it seems unlikely given that rapid rise seems to have mixed reviews even from lovers of the Big S.

cgrim said:
Is there any SRAM model of rear derailleur with the reverse spring?
(something like Shimano XT / XTR "RapidRise")

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
you can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Dr Thunder said:
But it seems unlikely given that rapid rise seems to have mixed reviews even from lovers of the Big S.
I hate Shimano. But I love my rapid rise der.

Mated to a set of 8sp Attack shifters, it is the best shifting I have experienced.

I, for one, wish that SRAM would consider a Low Normal setup.

As for the mixed reviews, they are probably from folks that just slapped one on, then had to 're-learn' their shifting. I switched at the same time I was going to Grip Shift. So everything was new. You didn't hear anyone complaining about it when S went to the paddle shifters, again everything was new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
reverse deraileur

I have been using SRAM for ten years. the best setup I have used is the 9.0 with the rapid rise deraileur. this set up was so smooth and quiet and the gears would shift instantly, in one slight motion. I now have the XO with the XO rear deraileur . I find this to be too noisy for my liking, sounds like a beginner rider missing the gear, not only can I hear it so can all the other riders on the trail , can't expect to have any secrets about when to shift, to beat your buddy up the hill. Also I find that it takes two movements to make the bike shift. Not as smooth as my old set up. I will continue to use SRAM but not as happily as before.

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
It's more important to grab a whole bunch of gears downshifting than it is to get them going up.
Also with the low normal you cannot force the downshift.

It will not downshift under hard cranking, this leads to less broken chains. And you learn to anticipate your shifting before you need it on the climb.

·
Got Mojo?
1,190 Posts
LAgalrider said:
I not only get lost while riding I am lost here. :confused:
In regular rear derailleurs the return spring will 'pull' to make an up-shift. When you downshift the force that you apply makes the derailleur move and shift.

In a 'low-normal' (aka Rapid Rise) der, the return spring will pull to make a downshift. Opposite to above.

hope this helps?

·
Registered
507 Posts
My guess is SRAM is not in a hurry to copy a bad design. I know this PO's all the rapid rise RD lovers, so it is just my opinion. Rapid Rise is the reason i went to X.0 and very glad i did. Hated the 960 XTR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.