Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a problem.

When I am pedaling and stop abruptly, my chain is loading up on top and slapping the chainstay?

What is this indicative of? The bike was bought used, it is shimano 9 speed, and the seller incuded a new XTR chain. I never asked why he was including a new chain, but I suppose he may have been having some problems before he sold the bike or though the original chain was getting close to it's life cycle?

Any help on what adjustment would be apprciated.

DPG

·
Anti-Outsourcer
319 Posts
It could be that the pulleys in your rear mech are binding. I would take apart the whole drivetrain, degrease/clean, lube, and reassemble/tighten everything. I've never come across any issue like yours that was hub related... But even if it is in the hub, a clean drivetrain is a happy one either way :thumbsup:

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Snackie said:
I have a bit of a problem.

When I am pedaling and stop abruptly, my chain is loading up on top and slapping the chainstay?

DPG
Your rear wheel is still rolling, and it's forcing the cassette/freehub to roll, too, until the rear derailleur cage mechanism can't give any more chain. Take the wheel off the bike and you'll likely find that the cassette doesn't spin as it should. Needs service, I suspect.

jeff

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
I have to agree on the freehub, if you're lucky it just needs to opened up, cleaned and relubed, if not , a replacement isnt that expensive, clean the drivetrain first, it will make the lbs think you know how to keep your bike up

·
Advanced Slacker
15,569 Posts
CheeseSoda said:
It could be that the pulleys in your rear mech are binding. I would take apart the whole drivetrain, degrease/clean, lube, and reassemble/tighten everything. I've never come across any issue like yours that was hub related... But even if it is in the hub, a clean drivetrain is a happy one either way :thumbsup:
Pulleys binding would not cause his problem. It would actually lessen it.

But yeah, a clean drivetrain is a good drivetrain in any event.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you live up north it might be as simple as the temperature change. Colder weather stiffens the lubes throughout the bike and one particularly sensitive area is in the freehub, where the viscous drag reduces the "free" in the freehub mechanism.

If you try diagnosing this indoors after the bike warms up you might miss it, so check it after cooling the bike outdoors for a while. If it is the freehub, try working some very light oil into it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Folks.....

I was hoping we could re-visit this. I had my LBS rebuild my hub as it was the freewheel that was sticky. (there is no ratcheting sound and if I unclip from my pedals, it will actually lightly turn my cranks)

Anyway, he said that after rebuilding it, it's the best it's going to get. (I rode today and it's still doing it almost as much as it was) He also mentioned some minor scoring on my races which is weird because the rims are close to new.

Anyway, he said the only solution it to replace the hub or replace the wheel? This is a Specialized 29er (shimano 9 speed) wheel/ specialized hubs.

Isn't the ratcheting part of the freewheel replaceable? He is telling me that beyond the rebuild, I need to replace.

Thanks for any help!

To the poster above.....despite being in the Northeast, weather does not appear to be the cause as the bikes been warn during testing.

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Snackie said:
Folks.....
Isn't the ratcheting part of the freewheel replaceable? He is telling me that beyond the rebuild, I need to replace.
LBS rebuilt the hub, but apparently did nothing with the freehub internals.

Before ordering a new freehub, I'd go thru this procedure, if you feel up to it:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=45

This is most likely what's needed, or just have the LBS replace the freehub.

jeff

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Snakie- I hate to say this, and please don't repeat it to the LBS, but I think you might need a new mechanic and not necessarily a new freehub.

You're right, except for a few hubs, the freehub unit is separate from the hub and can replaced as a module. Working on the hubs bearings will not solve the freehub sticking problem. When they run silent like yours, there are 2 possibilities,

If they never freewheel, they're probably frozen from rust and are probably toast.

If they freewheel but are stiff, or stick intermitantly, it could be overly tight bearings, stiff lube, or the ratchet assembly was packed in grease or an overly thick lube which is so stiff as to cause things to stick. This is common because many shops still put grease in F/Ws despite all the industry literature telling them not to. The stiff lube problem gets common every fall and winter as lower temps stiffen stuff that was fine in August. Some lubes also dry out and become sticky with age so it isn't always temperature related.

PM me the city you live in & I might be able to recommend another shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.