Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few Santa Cruz bikes and they've always come with a Reverb Stealth. Finally got my hands on a Bullit but it has come equipped with a Fox Transfer Performance Elite and I can't slam it down far enough for my short legs to pedal comfortably.

Are there any compatibility issues as to why the Bullit wouldn't work with a Reverb? Can I just thread the hose in myself or would I need to drop the motor?

Any tips for using existing cable to pull the hydraulic line through?

Thanks!

· Registered
1,645 Posts
I have had a few Santa Cruz bikes and they've always come with a Reverb Stealth. Finally got my hands on a Bullit but it has come equipped with a Fox Transfer Performance Elite and I can't slam it down far enough for my short legs to pedal comfortably.

Are there any compatibility issues as to why the Bullit wouldn't work with a Reverb? Can I just thread the hose in myself or would I need to drop the motor?

Any tips for using existing cable to pull the hydraulic line through?

Thanks!
The new lower link frames are a bit tough to fully bottom out droppers because of the way the cable enters the seat tube at a slight angle. Because of this, some seat post mfg's had to re-design their actuators (oneup on the v2 for example). This being the case, I'd take some measurements of the current fox transfer and look online for a dropper post that has slightly more favorable dimensions for insertion requirements, stack height etc. Unfortunately, if you haven't done this brain damage before, it's a bit of a pita, one of my least favorite things to do in terms of taking measurements and figuring out what works (for both myself and on friends frame up builds).

I will say that the new transfer is one of the more forgiving posts when it comes to frame and stack height tolerances. I would then suggest a switch to a oneup v2 because it has the ability to shim it down slightly to hit the perfect height you need with clearance issues etc. If you need further help sizing the dropper appropriately, I'm more then willing to help walk you through it going back and forth in this thread.

This video is a good place to start if you haven't gone down this road before (or in a long while for that matter and you just need a re-fresher). How To Choose The Correct Size Dropper Seatpost (Step by Step Guide) [Video]

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new lower link frames are a bit tough to fully bottom out droppers because of the way the cable enters the seat tube at a slight angle. Because of this, some seat post mfg's had to re-design their actuators (oneup on the v2 for example). This being the case, I'd take some measurements of the current fox transfer and look online for a dropper post that has slightly more favorable dimensions for insertion requirements, stack height etc. Unfortunately, if you haven't done this brain damage before, it's a bit of a pita, one of my least favorite things to do in terms of taking measurements and figuring out what works (for both myself and on friends frame up builds).

I will say that the new transfer is one of the more forgiving posts when it comes to frame and stack height tolerances. I would then suggest a switch to a oneup v2 because it has the ability to shim it down slightly to hit the perfect height you need with clearance issues etc. If you need further help sizing the dropper appropriately, I'm more then willing to help walk you through it going back and forth in this thread.

This video is a good place to start if you haven't gone down this road before (or in a long while for that matter and you just need a re-fresher). How To Choose The Correct Size Dropper Seatpost (Step by Step Guide) [Video]
Makes sense, thankyou! I have a Nomad v5 and a 175mm reverb fits fine so I think I'll be ok on Bullit. For a 175mm dropper, fox is 262mm long and the reverb is 242mm for the same, so that should give me the difference I'm looking for.

· Registered
587 Posts
Makes sense, thankyou! I have a Nomad v5 and a 175mm reverb fits fine so I think I'll be ok on Bullit. For a 175mm dropper, fox is 262mm long and the reverb is 242mm for the same, so that should give me the difference I'm looking for.
I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking the max seatpost insertion is less on the Bullit than on the Nomad. They both have the same seat tube lengths for each size, but with the motor down there, I think the shock tunnel is probably shifted upwards on the Bullit, resulting in less insertable length.

Anyway, the 262mm and 242mm lengths you cited for lengths of the two posts' lowers are correct, but neither accounts for the actuator. Accounting for the actuators, the Fox comes out a few mm shorter than the reverb (Fox is 290mm, Reverb is 294mm). The OneUp 180 comes in at 267 including the actuator, and can be shimmed to 170mm buying you another 10mm if necessary.

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Also, I would never... ever... voluntarily use a reverb when there is another choice available. I don't have anything wrong with the reverb when it's working well, and to be fair, the new one, is better then the c1 unit. However with the hydro remote, the IFP/Oil chamber mixing issues when the bike is lifted form the seat with the post down, and the pita serviceability... there isn't a reason to ever use them.

The good news, if you're dead set on a reverb, is that they aren't worth dirt as brand new takeoffs. I've literally given away 2 brand new 170mm c1 reverbs that were takeoffs because it wasn't worth the hassle to sell them for 50 bucks. But there is no such thing as a freeverb. Pay now or pay later, eventually the reverb gods will take their pound of flesh.

· I get knocked down...
293 Posts
The good news, if you're dead set on a reverb, is that they aren't worth dirt as brand new takeoffs. I've literally given away 2 brand new 170mm c1 reverbs that were takeoffs because it wasn't worth the hassle to sell them for 50 bucks. But there is no such thing as a freeverb. Pay now or pay later, eventually the reverb gods will take their pound of flesh.
Wow, you just tossed money away. I sold my 175 Reverb C1 for $200 easily. I loved it, but alas 175mm is not enough drop for me, so the OneUp 210 is installed, and I still want a 240mm dropper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.