Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could type a lengthy post but really.. All I want to know is "what is the best?"

I want 5" / 125mm adjustment, so I guess that rules out the GD straight away.

Reverb vs. KS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
If you don't need one right away, wait! Fox has one in the works and you can bet it will be worth the wait. As of right now, from what I've been reading on various reviews. The Reverb is so far the one to get. I'm still waiting to see some long term reviews on the Reverb and to see what Fox has coming out before I make any decisions. I'm not in a rush. QR seat clamp still works fine for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
Reverb reports are starting to come in now.......

Just a matter of time.......people are starting to experience failures on the Reverb. It is a mechanical product and will sometimes fail.......maintainance will go a far way to minimizing this. Even a Rolls Royce goes into the shop for repairs.

That being said, I have not had any problems with my KS I900.

To the OP, there is no "BEST".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
I have the KS. I had a GD and sold it to buy the KS. My buddy sold his GD to get the Reverb.

GD only gives you three positions and you have to hunt for the middle one. Sucks after you've tried either of the other two infinitely adjustable posts.

The KS is a nice setup with a great actuator design that can be mounted on either side top or bottom. The only problem is that it is sticky sometimes. Some people have sticking problems and some don't. Mine sticks a lot but I don't consider it a big deal.

The Reverb is totally smooth and the hydraulic actuator is exceedingly smooth. If cost wasn't a variable I would pick the Reverb hands down. There is absolutely no sticking and the actuator takes less force to disengage the seat than the KS does. The only other issue is if you don't want your actuator on the right top of the handlebar. I don't think you have any options. You might be able to mount it on the left bottom... I'm not sure. The right top happens to be where I want mine so its not an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
b-kul said:
gd is probably the most reliable, reverb is the best feeling imo but still relativly unproven.
Just curious.. why do you say this?

My experience was that the GD was the LEAST reliable. The cable housing comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post so its easy to bend it when you are off the seat which causes the cable to stick. It would have eventually failed in less than one season if I would not have installed my own homemade strain relief. I also had to fiddle with the nut on the bottom of the post because if I didn't it would not lock in the up position.

The KS has required a little fiddling but it still sticks. I also broke the cable housing tube in front of the actuator but it still works without issue. Overall a lot more reliable than the GD.

The Reverb looks bulletproof to me but I haven't seen it used long term yet.
 

·
meow meow
Joined
·
10,622 Posts
tshulthise said:
Just curious.. why do you say this?

My experience was that the GD was the LEAST reliable. The cable housing comes out at a 90 degree angle to the post so its easy to bend it when you are off the seat which causes the cable to stick. It would have eventually failed in less than one season if I would not have installed my own homemade strain relief. I also had to fiddle with the nut on the bottom of the post because if I didn't it would not lock in the up position.

The KS has required a little fiddling but it still sticks. I also broke the cable housing tube in front of the actuator but it still works without issue. Overall a lot more reliable than the GD.

The Reverb looks bulletproof to me but I haven't seen it used long term yet.
just from the outside looking in it seems to me that most people with a gd post say they are built to last. the camary of seatposts i guess you could say lol. just going on a general survey gd seems to have the most reliability. imo the reverb rocks so far but it is still too soon for anyone to say that for sure.
 

·
T.W.O.
Joined
·
8,168 Posts
KS is probably the least amount of problem, longest travel and most ergonomic set up now. This spring they would release the 6" drop 150mm version.

Reverb is another outstanding post I rode with them many times and love the way it feel both at the remote and the post action, I can see the set up can be a bit of a problem for some. I put my remote(s) on both side on my bikes but I prefer the left side so I can do multiple tasks at the same time brake/shift/and drop. I still drool over the Reverb everytime I ride with them.

GD is quite simple because it's mechanical and does not require air/ or oil to rebuild. It does required constant cleaning of dirt/dust and the remote take up a lot of space on the handlebar, making for more difficult set up as well. For the longest time it's the only player that offer 27.2. Now KS offer the 4" version 27.2 post called i7r.

I think because there are quite a few moving parts, and seals that we have to deal with not all of the post would have problems but some may have defected parts and need attention. A lot of people complaint about Maverick/Joplin posts I own 4 and only one need to be sent back the rest has been flawless. Same goes with KS only one need attention. Interesting thing is in the same amount of time I had to send both Gravity dropper and AMP post to service too.

I would not hold my breath on Fox post, from what I see on Youtube it's less than impressive. I'm pretty sure they'd polish it up and put in a nicer package with more ergonomic remote, because as is, it would just suck.
 

·
meow meow
Joined
·
10,622 Posts
mimi1885 said:
I would not hold my breath on Fox post, from what I see on Youtube it's less than impressive. I'm pretty sure they'd polish it up and put in a nicer package with more ergonomic remote, because as is, it would just suck.
yeah, it seems like fox is bringing nothing new to the table. the remote looks clunky too. i suppose it will be reliable (at least it better given the stage they are entering the game) but it seems like most other companies are getting their act together there already.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Just get the ks and when it loosens at the rail mount unscrew it and clean it off good than loctite it. The integrated odi compatible locking grip remote is a nice feature too. However if fox releases theirs it might be kashima coated and will make you at least 8 percent faster. At the very least it will match my fork... yess, Winning!!
 

·
T.W.O.
Joined
·
8,168 Posts
b-kul said:
yeah, it seems like fox is bringing nothing new to the table. the remote looks clunky too. i suppose it will be reliable (at least it better given the stage they are entering the game) but it seems like most other companies are getting their act together there already.
Fox is promoting their seal, and like Monstertiki said their Kashima stanchion but really, if they were to release this post 3 years ago or even 2 when many companies still have that problem then it would kick a$$, this late in the game most major contenders already have the problem under control already. Plus according to the Vid it's not infinite adjustment it's like Talas 3 position post. I'm sure Fox is not showing their final product yet, hopefully it would look good.

By the time Fox release their post, Reverb would probably have newer remote that's more ergonomic and user friendly then the current one. KS would already have the 150mm version. X-fusion would have their 2nd gen in circulation.

To be competitive Fox would need 150mm version, Kashima, adjustable speed, ergonomic remote, fix cable by the bottom of the post not at the clamp, possibly bling looking carbon shell, tool-free installation, maintenance-free, and weight less than 500g:D
 

·
just ride
Joined
·
767 Posts
I have KS i950R since Nov 2010 and I use it daily! I hit the switch even when I get at the light on my way to work.. Still works as good as how it did when brand new! No clicking sound btw.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top