Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an A2 Reverb with the old plunger that i'm not fond of so i plan to upgrade to an under bar lever. looking at the Rock Shox Reverb 1x and the Wolf Tooth Remote Sustain cable converter.

i like the idea of not having to bleed yet another system regularly. So the cable system looks enticing. They are both around $100 so price isnt really a factor. Any experience with either? preferences? Or a different option you like best?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I got so tired of bleeding my Reverb remote. I did find that the barbed fitting at the remote end was where air was leaking in. I replaced the fitting and didn't have to bleed it for a long time. I really probably only needed to cut a bit off of the hose and push the fresh end onto the barbed fitting. I doubt the bronze fitting was the part that was worn.

·
bad reputation
464 Posts
I have an A2 Reverb with the old plunger that i'm not fond of so i plan to upgrade to an under bar lever. looking at the Rock Shox Reverb 1x and the Wolf Tooth Remote Sustain cable converter.

i like the idea of not having to bleed yet another system regularly. So the cable system looks enticing. They are both around $100 so price isnt really a factor. Any experience with either? preferences? Or a different option you like best?
I put the wolf tooth on my reverb mostly because the hydraulic push button remote is very problematic in cold weather. I'd show up for a race and my seatpost would return up at a snails pace. The wolf tooth lever is sweet, easy to adjust and is solid. I like everything except during the install process a slight bit of fluid leaked out of the post (which the manual says will happen,) and now I have a slight squishy seatpost when fully extended. I still recommend it, but only give it a 4 out 5 because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
bad reputation
464 Posts
Do yourself a favor and sell that reverb on pinkbike (or here) and get a OneUp dropper. $200 and a great warranty support if you do run into any issues.
Not sure you'll get much (if anything) for a used Reverb these days. $200 for a new dropper? That's cheap, how long do they make them?
I just put a Bike Yoke Revive on my latest build, so far it's been awesome. I like the reset option (like an instant bleed valve,) and I love the 185mm length. But even discounted it was almost twice the OneUp's cost.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think replacing a non-wearable part with a wearable cable is a huge step backwards. Are you going to install mechanical brakes, too?
This couldn't be more wrong. The Wolftooth sustain is a huge step up from the hydraulic actuation. It's simple to replace a cable, if you ever actually have to do it. The reverbs leak at the plunger, they leak at the post, leak at the speed control. You constantly have to bleed them if you have any of those problems. Just replace with cable actuation and you're golden. I've had every version of the reverb and the Wolftooth so I speak from experience. I also have a oneup and that's a good option as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I installed a Wolf tooth lever in my gf's bike because of frame clearance issues (she rides an XS Stumpjumper) and the lever feel is amazing! I'll likely swap mine shortly and I have a brand new reverb with the paddle lever.

This couldn't be more wrong. The Wolftooth sustain is a huge step up from the hydraulic actuation. It's simple to replace a cable, if you ever actually have to do it. The reverbs leak at the plunger, they leak at the post, leak at the speed control. You constantly have to bleed them if you have any of those problems. Just replace with cable actuation and you're golden. I've had every version of the reverb and the Wolftooth so I speak from experience. I also have a oneup and that's a good option as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Bled both of mine when installed. Haven't touched them since. I don't know why you're using the second person, as I'm not replacing my hydraulic actuation with a cable, just as I won't be installing mechanical brakes.

A good chunk, perhaps the majority, of all high end mountain bikes that come with droppers, come with Reverbs. That isn't a coincidence.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I got so tired of bleeding my Reverb remote. I did find that the barbed fitting at the remote end was where air was leaking in. I replaced the fitting and didn't have to bleed it for a long time. I really probably only needed to cut a bit off of the hose and push the fresh end onto the barbed fitting. I doubt the bronze fitting was the part that was worn.
Quit pushing the cable onto the lever barb. It's not a press fitting, it's a screw on fitting. You're supposed to thread the hose and lever together. I'm yet to have the "constant bleed" issues that seem to plaque forum members. The only time I've had to bleed my unit was when I got rid of that god awful push button.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I used the cable conversion on my old reverb. Much preferred to the stock config. The dropper post actually worked when it was cold out. Adding cable tension is easier than doing a bleed. Who cares if you have to replace a cable now and again.

In regards to twodownzero's comment.. It's not like the reverb was maintenance free. The reverb fluid is a "part" that had to be replaced (bled) periodically.

Go with the Wolftooth and never look back.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I had the BikeYoke Dehy conversion on my old A2 Reverb before I sold it. It worked great - the only real downside was the Reverb itself was old and kind of notchy.

I would also suggest just grabbing a OneUp instead though. You're looking at $170 new vs. $100 conversion. Lever costs for both would be the same. You might be able to unload your old Reverb and make up the difference in cost, and never have to deal with it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.