Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have sram xo shifters and use cane creek lock on grips. I can shift up and down 9 cogs in one twist. Never go back to thumb aching shifters again. Plus grip shifters are lightweight and less components sticking out to get broke.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sweeeeet!!!! I always has triggers and was afraid of trying the grip shifts. I finally went with twisties towards the end of last year and thought "what the hell was I ever thinking". I love them and will never go back to the slow rear and no front trimming triggers. I recently demolished my rear derailleur in a race and have put off buying a new one. I stole one off I bike I don't ride much. Wanted to go to 2x10 set up but refused to because I couldn't get a 10 speed twisty. Procrastination might have paid off this time

·
Administrator
12,439 Posts
This is what I've seen!!!
Grip shift had always offered the front derailleur in micro adjustment, meaning unlike Shimano and then Sram front shifters it offered multiple clicks so you could trim the front derailleur. The trigger shifters only offered 3 clicks, one for each gear, so that front derailleur adjustment and selection was paramount. With the grip shift on the front you could dial out rub in the front, nudge the derailleur up or down in muddy conditions, etc much easier than a trigger.

The only issue I ever had with gripshifts was the accidental shift in super technical terrain, specifically ratcheting up a step in a tight rocky corner. Sometimes my hand while pulling against the grip flange would shift my derailleur killing the move. I also would have miss shifts while descending technical rocky terrain on a rigid bike specifically wheelie dropping at speed.

I solved all these problem by going single speed or 1x9 which is even lighter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I HATED grip shifts. Far too many accidental shifts in rocky terrain or when bearing down on the bars. I have my trigger shifters set so I do not need to change my hand position on the bars to shift. Twist shifters require a change in wrist/hand postion. Who has time to "trim" a derailuer when descending tight twisty singletrack anyways? I love my trigger shifters and am never going back.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I HATED grip shifts. Far too many accidental shifts in rocky terrain or when bearing down on the bars. I have my trigger shifters set so I do not need to change my hand position on the bars to shift. Twist shifters require a change in wrist/hand postion. Who has time to "trim" a derailuer when descending tight twisty singletrack anyways? I love my trigger shifters and am never going back.
Took me a bit of adjusting but, me too!!! I just look at it as another part of properly fitting the bike!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
...Snip...
The only issue I ever had with gripshifts was the accidental shift in super technical terrain, specifically ratcheting up a step in a tight rocky corner. Sometimes my hand while pulling against the grip flange would shift my derailleur killing the move. I also would have miss shifts while descending technical rocky terrain on a rigid bike specifically wheelie dropping at speed.

...snip...
I have heard this sentiment many, many times over the years. This has never happened to me. Ever. How does it happen? Grabbing the bars with a death grip? Using half-pipe length shifters? The only time my hands are inboard on the bars is when I am shifting. Otherwise they naturally fall to the wider grip...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have heard this sentiment many, many times over the years. This has never happened to me. Ever. How does it happen? Grabbing the bars with a death grip? Using half-pipe length shifters? The only time my hands are inboard on the bars is when I am shifting. Otherwise they naturally fall to the wider grip...
Agreed, even on out the saddle, hard pull up on the bars gnarly climbs I've never accidently changed gears. I run twists on both my bikes - XC and All Mountain and they work for both.
Each to their own though :cool:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No offense, but this sounds like something manufactured....a story from someone who has never used the product. Like others have mentioned, I have not once, in my history of riding Gripshifts....X-Rays in 1995, to XO now, had an accidental shift. It takes quite a bit of twist force to actuate the mechanism. Do you ride squeezing the bars as hard as you can? There will always be two loyal camps regarding shifters. I just think thumb shifters stick out too far, look ghey, and you cannot dump an entire cassette with one twist.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No offense, but this sounds like something manufactured....a story from someone who has never used the product. It takes quite a bit of twist force to actuate the mechanism. .
Right...Like when you are descending and have your grip a little inboard because you are getting ready to dump gears for the climb up ahead and then you hit a rock/root/drop that pushes the bar/grip in your hand and causes a premature shift.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.