Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am get ready to build up a 575 and are considering these forks. I have been riding a 2007 Fox Vanilla RLC on a Cannondale Prophet. Just built up a Salsa mamasita 29er with a "08 Reba 100mm and love the feel compared to my Vanilla. I also realize their is a big difference in travel.I feel like the Van is not very good on the smaller trail bumps and when I get into tight technical areas the front seems to get real floppy. I also have a 8" rotor on the front that I am getting ready to change because I run avid bb7s and they seem to be way too grabby and also makes the front end feel horrible! I really did not realize all of this till I built the Salsa. My first bike (Specialized FSR XC) had a Recon on it and I loved the feel of it also. I am not sure if it is the air that i like better or what. I had originally wanted the Talas for my prophet but ended up buying the Vanilla due to the price difference and I was told the coil would feel better and less maintenance down the road.
So, When I go to the RS site, i get so confused about all the options for all their different forks. I do want adjustable travel, but was wondering if that works as a quick turn of the knob or do u have to turn it quite a few times to adjust the travel? Do I want air or coil? I have just about ruled the talas out due to price, but not yet. I was wondering why RS offers the Pike and Revelation now that they cover the same amount of travel and why the big difference in weight? They both have 32mm stanchions. BTW, I definitely want 20mm axle. Well I know these are a lot of questions, but I have no way of trying these things out, so I am relying on your experiences...
Also, I am not opposed to getting an 2007 or 2008 new old stock if they are just as good. Will probably be buying off of ebay or online somewhere.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
uturn air takes a couple winds to move it up and down, like uturn, talas is a swtich you can do on the move, sorta I suspect the van felt floppy on the prophet because it is a slacker bike, which maybe you don't like, it trades stability at speed for floppiness at low speeds. Travel adjust is for fixing a fork that is the wrong length to begin with, imo.

the new revelation is air sprung, the pike is coil. Either way it will feel pretty similar to your recon, with the additional benefit that you can set it up to ride high in the travel, yet still use up full travel on big hits.

I'm a huge fan of coil suspension for all the reasons that have been repeated ad nauseum.

With forks you never know which one you should have gone with until you've ridden the one you chose for a while.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts
Just flip a coin. All three are great forks. I can tell you I like the Talas because the travel adjust is a flip of a switch. But I will be going to a T/A for my next fork. I'm not a fan of the 15mm it's a waste. I will be running a maxle lite on a Magura Thor.....Slam the fork down on the step climbs all else ride it full 140mm. I like RS but the U-Turn is really to static of a travel adjustment......I don't have 45 seconds to wind the travel down to hit the climb or downhill.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mtnbiker4life said:
Just flip a coin. All three are great forks. I can tell you I like the Talas because the travel adjust is a flip of a switch. But I will be going to a T/A for my next fork. I'm not a fan of the 15mm it's a waste. I will be running a maxle lite on a Magura Thor.....Slam the fork down on the step climbs all else ride it full 140mm. I like RS but the U-Turn is really to static of a travel adjustment......I don't have 45 seconds to wind the travel down to hit the climb or downhill.
I have tried the older Niner Reba U-TURN and you have to give it a lot of turns! I don't have time for that. I am also like you, that I do not want to fool with the 15mm, too many hub/wheelset limitations. I just wish they did the 32mm Talas in a 20mm. I feel like the 36mm would be too much of a beast for what I want and not have the plushness I desire and did I mention the PRICE!:madman:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.