Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'am going to replace the 140mm float on my TRc. But I can't decide wether to go with the Revelation (140mm) or Pike (150mm).
I'am concerned the HA is going to be too slack with the Pike and that the bike is going to lose his agility. You guys think the extra stiffness of the Pike is worth the risk of the bike handling different?

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check out the TRc photo thread, there are a couple of guys running 150 pikes. I was gonna go this route and SC replaced my TRc with a bronson. They say the front wanders a bit on climbs but in the downs it takes no prisoners.

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
I got the 150mm Pike on my small TRc. It took a ride or two to adjust to a slightly different technique when climbing but other than that, it's not a huge difference than running the 130 Float on the climbs. On the descents and flowy, technical trails, it's like night and day. The bottom bracket was lifted slightly which reduced pedal strikes (a positive thing). The weight difference between the the 2 forks was negligible (IIRC the Float was 3.9X lbs and the Pike was 4.0X lbs).

·
chasing simplicity
1,484 Posts
You can reduce the Pike to 140 by replacing the air shaft. Check out two threads: Solo with a Beefy Fork in SC forum and also Reducing Pike 150>140. For a while the air shafts weren't available because everyone was doing it but now they are. And one guy kept the Pike at 150 but used the bottom half of an FSA zero stack headset to maintain HA. Might be in the Solo picture thread.

·
Registered
505 Posts
the only headsets I can find that have a -- 49/40zs -- are the old stock FSA Gravity 4.. or FSA Gravity 2..
these are no longer made. They were for straight 49mm headtubes and adapt tapered forks
there are still some on the shelves in the UK and europe. They are relatively cheap. When you open the box they look it.
the lower zero stack is a loose caged bearing with a race for the fork crown and a race that presses into the headtube
it has very little protection for weather. In a wet climate it would need to be removed cleaned and lubed often
the stack height for this is around 2mm so you save around 5mm in front ride height...
considering the quality and hassle of finding and sourcing this 49/40zs ..doesn't really seem worth it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I got that version. I think it made it a whole other bike.
I didn’t ride it much though, an easy 2hrs and an Enduro race. My experience of the change in handling:
Uphill: Didn’t like it at all. With the shorter travel fork I did some 6hr rides and could sprint uphill en really power up steep stuff. Now I don’t see myself riding for 6hrs at all and sprinting/pedaling while standing feels awkward. Maybe it’s a position thing, so I’am gonna play with that a little bid.
Downhill: It gives you a more relaxed feel and maybe more control. But I don’t think it is balanced with the rear anymore. Your weight is more shifted to the back and I find it has to little travel to handle that. It’s probably easier to ride the really steep stuff, but I preferred the quick handling and „playfulness” (if that is a word) of the steeper HA.

I think there a reason why they have their recommended A-C. I preferred it with the shorter fork. But besides the geo change, the Pike really is an awesome fork.
Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.