Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 2006 RS Revelation U-Turn 130mm travel fork. It seems like the slow speed absorbtion is kind of harsh like it is over-damped even though the compression and rebound damping are set to the fastest setting. I found on this forum that the RS Revelation has 5wt oil in it stock. Would it help out my fork if I changed out the fluid for 2.5wt or something else to set it up better? Dave:eek:

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
titusdc said:
I've got an 2006 RS Revelation U-Turn 130mm travel fork. It seems like the slow speed absorbtion is kind of harsh like it is over-damped even though the compression and rebound damping are set to the fastest setting. I found on this forum that the RS Revelation has 5wt oil in it stock. Would it help out my fork if I changed out the fluid for 2.5wt or something else to set it up better? Dave:eek:
coil or air?

_MK

·
Registered
471 Posts
What pressures are you running in the positive and negative chambers? I have a Reba (functionally the same) and I run my negative pressure equal or slightly less than the positive and my fork literally float over small bumps and still retains full travel. You may just need to experiment with your pressures. Some advocate running the negative higher than the positive for an even plusher feeling but I found that it gave the fork a kinda dead feel that I did not like.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
titusdc said:
Sorrry. It's Air.
I suspencted it was an air model. My guess would be you're not running enough pressure in the negative chamber. Pump it up until the fork dips a bit at which point you can release a little air and you ought to be good to go. Do that with the U-Turn at max travel.

_MK

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
How many clicks of Motion control you using?

titusdc said:
First on the oil, Rockshock 5wt = torco RFF 7wt. Rockshox 2.5wt = Torco RFF 5wt.

Second on the fork. I've never ridden on a Revelation but have a couple of seasons on a Reba. Never got it to feel as supple in the small stuff as a Fox Float 100 or a Talus 32.

Third on tuning. I tried overpressuring the negative spring, used Torco RFF 5wt (Rockshox 2.5wt) and RSF Light (about a Rockshox 3wt.) and it still didn't smooth the fork out enough for me on the small stuff. The best overall feel is with the stock oil, i liked the RSF Light but lost lockout with the full synthetic stuff (or i just didn't put enough in there).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ratt said:
First on the oil, Rockshock 5wt = torco RFF 7wt. Rockshox 2.5wt = Torco RFF 5wt.

Second on the fork. I've never ridden on a Revelation but have a couple of seasons on a Reba. Never got it to feel as supple in the small stuff as a Fox Float 100 or a Talus 32.

Third on tuning. I tried overpressuring the negative spring, used Torco RFF 5wt (Rockshox 2.5wt) and RSF Light (about a Rockshox 3wt.) and it still didn't smooth the fork out enough for me on the small stuff. The best overall feel is with the stock oil, i liked the RSF Light but lost lockout with the full synthetic stuff (or i just didn't put enough in there).
i suggest you have a skim of the above links i posted, they cover negative pressure in depth, and show you how to gain small bump.

overcharging the negative to the max will pacl the fork down, and effectivly give you an 80mm fork that barlly moves over the rough stuff.

rockshox's dual air forks are pretty much the most adjustable forks out there, purly because you can manipulate the spring curve while still maintaining the same sag point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Thanks Dudes for the replies. I messed with the air pressures in the pos. and neg. chambers and went for a ride yesterday. I brought the press down in both chambers from the RS chart placard on the fork to 120psi (-&+) and it felt a lot better going slower over rocks and branches. I tried to pump the neg. up above the pos. a bit but found that the extension will not return to the travel I set when unweighted. So I don't see how you can have more pressure in the neg. and still get full stroke travel. I think I will leave the RS 5wt fluid in for now. Thanks. Dave:thumbsup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
titusdc said:
Hey Thanks Dudes for the replies. I messed with the air pressures in the pos. and neg. chambers and went for a ride yesterday. I brought the press down in both chambers from the RS chart placard on the fork to 120psi (-&+) and it felt a lot better going slower over rocks and branches. I tried to pump the neg. up above the pos. a bit but found that the extension will not return to the travel I set when unweighted. So I don't see how you can have more pressure in the neg. and still get full stroke travel. I think I will leave the RS 5wt fluid in for now. Thanks. Dave:thumbsup:
you cant put more in the neg and still get full travel, which is one of the reasons why its pointless to put more air in the neg chamber hehe :thumbsup:

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
titusdc said:
Yeah, the pressures rec'd on the fork are way high in my experience, I'm 200 even and run 135P/130N, I use it on an XC frame and usually run it around 100-115, love this fork!

I prefer slightly more air in the pos chamber so it rides a little higher in it's travel, felt like it was blowing thru the travel with equal psi in the chambers, also, I found the less the travel the more the comp damping to make the fork feel right, again, so the ride height feels good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
JKWITS said:
I am happy to lose half an inch of full extension for a significantly smoother ride on my pike. but obviously it just comes down to personal preference.
again, read the threads i linked above, and if you understand them youll realise that overcharging the negative wont give you a plusher fork. just a fork with less travel that ramps up really fast.

·
Registered
Niner Rip 9 RDO
143 Posts
It makes sense to me to have the neg & pos the same pressures or a little lower in the neg and set at full travel rather then trying to put more in neg because each chamber will equalize and move to that point on the travel stroke.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
muddydc said:
It makes sense to me to have the neg & pos the same pressures or a little lower in the neg and set at full travel rather then trying to put more in neg because each chamber will equalize and move to that point on the travel stroke.
It works the other way around, putting more in the negative will cause the fork to sink until the positive equalizes with the negative. Not the other way around. Too little pressure in the negative will give you full travel, but will make your small bumps harsh. The pressures would equalize if there wasn't a physical max extension controlled by either the cartridge or some other internal element.

The whole trick is to set the fork up so that both pressures are equalized at full fork extension. Unless, of course, you want to drop a bit of travel from your fork, via the negative chamber, to give you desired geometry out of the bike.

_MK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.