Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a Revelation RCT3 29er dual position fork for about 5 months now and find that I have to run the air pressure at about 40-50 psi's less than the RS recommendation to get good mid stroke performance. The first 30mm of travel has almost no resistence, the next 70-80mm feel great and then it very quickly ramps up and I am almost always left with the last 30mm or so of travel unused (even when I really screw up a 3 foot to flat landing).

When I drop the pressure any lower the mid stroke of the fork feel horrible but I can use most of the travel. Any suggestions on how to keep the mid stroke performance but get the fork to go deeper into its travel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the 26er version so this may or may not be relevant. How's your negative air pressure? I generally pump the neg air 15 psi over the positive, and it loses that 15 when the shock pump comes off. Comes out to be the neg air pressure the same as the positive.

Mid stroke is real nice on mine.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 26er version so this may or may not be relevant. How's your negative air pressure? I generally pump the neg air 15 psi over the positive, and it loses that 15 when the shock pump comes off. Comes out to be the neg air pressure the same as the positive.

Mid stroke is real nice on mine.
Unfortunately, this is a newer version of the revelation and it only has the solo air adjustment so I cannot play with the negative air pressure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It sounds like its either one of two things.

There might be oil in your positive air piston which lowers the volume, causing it to ramp up to quickly. Flip your bike upside down and let your air out and see if any oil comes out.

Or it sounds like you are low on damper oil and are running your moco locked out or with a high compression setting causing it to ramp up in resistance when the moco hits the oil.

·
Registered
470 Posts
In some cases, too much fork oil can limit travel. If you're not sure how much is in there, I'd suggest you measure the volume. Carefully pour it out into a measuring cup/beaker (use a syringe if you wan to leave the fork mounted).

IME, the SRAM guideline for fill levels can be off, so even if you have the right amount, you may want to deviate from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts