Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a 150mm Rockshox Revelation Team Dual Air be user reduced without and proprietary/special tools

i know it comes in 140mm option but ive found the 150mm for £50 cheaper

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,807 Posts
wpuk said:
Can a 150mm Rockshox Revelation Team Dual Air be user reduced without and proprietary/special tools

i know it comes in 140mm option but ive found the 150mm for £50 cheaper
Have you check the SRAm website they list all the tools needed to perform certain services. I've reduced the travel on my RS Forks with no special tools but that would really depend on what your definition of "special" is.......because all my tools are special. :D

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The most 'special' tool required for any RS fork work is a set of snapring pliers...

BTW, with a dual air, you could simply add a bit more pressure to the neg chamber to lower the fork (You would effectively have a vague 'top out' or neg travel, but it would give you an idea of how the fork length would feel at before you dig into it (IMO 10mm probably is not enough to make a real difference anyways...3mm BB change, and 1/3 degree head angle change...)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davep said:
The most 'special' tool required for any RS fork work is a set of snapring pliers...

BTW, with a dual air, you could simply add a bit more pressure to the neg chamber to lower the fork (You would effectively have a vague 'top out' or neg travel, but it would give you an idea of how the fork length would feel at before you dig into it (IMO 10mm probably is not enough to make a real difference anyways...3mm BB change, and 1/3 degree head angle change...)
oh smashing , didn't realise it would make so little difference, cheers :)

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
reduction in travel will result in the fork being sorter by the amout of travel reduced. You can see axle to crown measurements here: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/MY2010 Crown to Axle.pdf

The additional 10mm length up front wont do much. The bottom bracket will raise by about 1/3 of the change in fork length as the bb is about 1/3 the distance from rear axle to the front...so 3-4 mm. Technically the longer fork would also sag more, so the actual front end height would not be 10mm...more like 8mm.

Of course you are riding on dirt, on pneumatic tires, that have soft ruber knobs.....so a mm here or there is no where near a significant change.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davep said:
reduction in travel will result in the fork being sorter by the amout of travel reduced. You can see axle to crown measurements here: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/MY2010 Crown to Axle.pdf

The additional 10mm length up front wont do much. The bottom bracket will raise by about 1/3 of the change in fork length as the bb is about 1/3 the distance from rear axle to the front...so 3-4 mm. Technically the longer fork would also sag more, so the actual front end height would not be 10mm...more like 8mm.

Of course you are riding on dirt, on pneumatic tires, that have soft ruber knobs.....so a mm here or there is no where near a significant change.
Cheers, found the fox numbers here

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

just in case anyone else is curious the measurements for axle to crown on both forks are :

Revs 150mm = 529mm

Revs 140mm = 519mm

Foxs 140mm = 511mm

Both manufactures state a +-5mm tolerance

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.