Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RS Revelation 426 Air U-turn that I bought about two years ago. I just put it on one of my bikes this weekend, so it's brand new, never ridden. It only gets 85 mm of travel and it's a 130 mm fork, and that's with air or with no air in it. I called customer service at RS and I have to take it to a bike shop to get a return #. I think that's a bunch of BS, but whatever, I just won't buy another RS product. I sent a Manitu fork in last year for a warranty issue and I did't have to go through a bike shop.

The guy on the phone said it might be hydro locked. How does that happen? I think it might have a spacer (for what reason I don't know) in it, because it comes to the end of the travel abruptly. Any ideas what might be wrong??

686 Posts
Check the oil levels in the damper side (right stanchion)
It it's overfilled, the fork will only compress untill it hits the oil.
Empty some out and see if you get any more travel.
If not, put it back in :)

Not sure if it could be anything to do with the u-turn, I just have the dual air rev. You sure its wound the right way (to get full travell)

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
You bought a SRAM product...that's just SRAM's way of dealing with things, they're not picking on you or anything. I believe hydrolocking is similar to the Fox stuckdown situation, if so, it's a seal problem. You could try downloading the service manual and giving it a try yourself if taking it in is a problem...

·
Registered
7,942 Posts
Most likely the o-ring on the bottom of the right stanchion, sealing the damper oil in, has failed and the damper oil has leaked into the lowers. This hydrlocks the fork. It's a known Rock Shox issue which they've refused to fix. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do it yourself and just replace the o-ring and refill the damper and bath oil.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I know your frustrated because it's a new fork, but at least RS will take care of it for you. I personally don't think taking the fork to your LBS is a big deal, that is unless you live hours away from your LBS. I have a good LBS that works with me on all manufacture warranty issues.

The Revelation is a great fork.

Good luck.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
bad mechanic said:
Most likely the o-ring on the bottom of the right stanchion, sealing the damper oil in, has failed and the damper oil has leaked into the lowers. This hydrlocks the fork. It's a known Rock Shox issue which they've refused to fix. Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do it yourself and just replace the o-ring and refill the damper and bath oil.
What he said. An easy fix, if you have the tools/oil, and are comfortable working on your own stuff.

Stuff happens, and **** breaks. That is just how RS/SRAM do their warranty process, though.

Psst: lots of other companies in the bike world, and other industries work theirs the same way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems. The forks gotta go back to a LBS because the servicing will be done by the RS distributors of your area. It is easier for a shop to go through those channels than you as they are likely already clientel of that distributor.

I am all for self-service and teaching a man to fish, etc. etc. but I wouldn‘t bother opening your fork and risk warranty issues especially if you‘ve little experience in overhauling a fork. If my assumptions are wrong and you are gung ho about fixing this yourself, I am sure there are plenty of folk here who will teach you the way of fishing, myself included.

Deep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.