Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the floodgate full clockwise and the comp. full, my fork still moves maybe 15 - 20mm before it stops, then it feels locked. I had a Pike before and I don't remember if this was normal.

If it's not normal, what would be causing this? Is it an oil level problem? Thanks

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
My Tora U-Turn does the same thing. It was designed that way. It's more efficient to have a little travel when climbing through rocks etc. Check SRAM or your manuals to check if yours does too.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know. My Pike 454 I beleive was an 06 (first year they numbered the Pikes), like I said I can't remember if it was that way or not. Does anyone know if they changed the way the lock out feature worked between years? Thanks

·
Bushwacker
465 Posts
I'm not sure.
I do know that the Dart 2 I upgraded from had a rock hard lockout. The extra play in my Tora helps me to hold a better line when I'm grunting up through a rock field instead of bouncing all around like I did on the Dart.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
As i understand, this feature isn't actually a 'lock out' - flipping the MoCo lever to 'lock' will enable the floodgate, which is meant to allow minimal travel - it's designed to be like this. Then you can adjust the floodgate for how much force is required for the fork to cycle past that point. So the floodgate can also provide a user adjustable platform.

True lock outs will allow no travel at all but is less efficient on climbs and the internals of the shock are more prone to damage if you have a big hit while being locked out.

I'm not 100% sure on all this so maybe someone else can give a better answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.