Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Soft AND Tender
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running new Rock Shox Revelation U-Turn. Only been on the bike for about 2 months. I have noticed a very small amount of oil weeping from around the bottom of the external floodgate adjuster nob on top of the motion control damping unit. Seems to be coming from the area around the top retaining clip. Has anyone else experienced this yet? As I said it is a very small amount, but I notice it mainly after removing the bike from roof rack when at the trailhead probably due to wind during driving.

Any help or explanation is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I had Pike and Boxxer Ride. I noticed a very small amount of oil in that area after 9 months of riding on Pike, but I sold it before did anything with it.
2 weeks ago my Boxxer Ride stared leaking from this area too (after 2 months of riding). It was during few days I spent on DH course. Leak was quite significant, send it to RS as I could identify what's wrong after pulling out the compression damping unit. Came back from RS on Monday and it;s ok now! If you disassamble it on your own be vary careful with oil level. Not enough oil makes MoCo compression unit work very strange! :)

·
club très grand de VTT
288 Posts
Leaky Floodgate

I've experienced this myself, though it started doing it after I cycled the fork while it was inverted. Now I notice a slight weep after rides, and this is my second MoCo unit too!

Looking to get my hands on the right oil to replace the stuff that has leaked out.

Appreciate if you can let us know how you get on.

P.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I guess I've "kind of" experienced this, only happens when I transport my bike lying down in the car w/ MC open - seems to not happen if I "engage" the MC. Prob just a seal or something needs replacing, personally I lost the "little bit" that goes into the hole for the internal blow off valve so that could be part of it.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
my '06 sid leaked oil at that area for a few rides. apparently there was a little bit of air in the cartridge, and as it worked itself out it took some oil with it. no more leaks now and the fork works fine.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Maybe this will help...???

punkassean from ridemonkey.com said:
I just finished checking the fork out. Oil was seeping out of from under the gate knob (seemingly, I couldn't tell for sure). I let the air out of the fork, removed the gate knob and then cycled the fork a few times. Sure enough oil spooged out from around the o-ring below the gate knob.

I noticed the shaft the gate knob attaches to has a few mm's of up and down play and I specualted the set screw on the gate knob must have come a tad loose allowing the shaft to slide down a few mm's. I think the problem was that the flat surface for the set-screw dropped down to the level of the o-ring and compromised the seal allowing a small amount of oil to seep past.

I put a few cc's of 5wt back in the fork and then I lifted the gate shaft up as high as it would go and placed a thin washer under the gate knob before reinstalling it to prevent if from pushing back down again. Took the bike for a test ride and so far no more spooge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have Boxxer Team '06 and it started leaking after one month in use.

Today I opened compression and floodgate nob and found out, oil was leaking under
compression nob and it didn't matter was compression in max or not.

Kinda sad thing that so expensive fork can't keep it's juices in right place :(

Is there anything to do, than to send it to another side of europe to be fixed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
AiR2k said:
I have Boxxer Team '06 and it started leaking after one month in use.

Today I opened compression and floodgate nob and found out, oil was leaking under
compression nob and it didn't matter was compression in max or not.

Kinda sad thing that so expensive fork can't keep it's juices in right place :(

Is there anything to do, than to send it to another side of europe to be fixed?
I have the exact same problem, 2 month old 2006 teams which drip oil when the bike is upside down. The oil is clearly coming from beneath the compression nob!

does no one have a solution for this?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I sent mine Boxxer Ride to a dealer and they changed one o-ring and made the fork a bit firmer. I guess they concluded that the fork bottomed out too easily and thus started leaking. It has been working fine since then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.