Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone:

I have been using the Revelation dual air for a while now and while it works very well, I noticed that I am nowhere near the recommended PSI settings for it. The manual recomments using from 100 to 140 psi in both the positive and negative chamber. I am using around 50 psi and the fork sag is around 25% (barely). If I wanted more sag I would have to run even less pressure!

So what gives here? I am thinking maybe the oil level in the chambers might be too low and thus the chamber volume is higher. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mada

·
The Ancient One
1,573 Posts
elmadaleno said:
Hey everyone:

I have been using the Revelation dual air for a while now and while it works very well, I noticed that I am nowhere near the recommended PSI settings for it. The manual recomments using from 100 to 140 psi in both the positive and negative chamber. I am using around 50 psi and the fork sag is around 25% (barely). If I wanted more sag I would have to run even less pressure!

So what gives here? I am thinking maybe the oil level in the chambers might be too low and thus the chamber volume is higher. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mada
I also run much less pressure than recommended--90psi in the positive chamber instead of 135 recommended. And I get a little less than 25% sag with 75psi in the neg. chamber.

The damper seems to perform beautifully and the fork is very hard to bottom, so I don't think the oil level is way off. The only way I know to check the oil level is to replace the oil, and I haven't done that yet. I was going to the other day when I cleaned and lubed the lowers, but then I discovered I didn't have a 24mm socket. I'll get one soon and make sure that the oil level is right.

·
Mexican e-rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve from JH said:
I also run much less pressure than recommended--90psi in the positive chamber instead of 135 recommended. And I get a little less than 25% sag with 75psi in the neg. chamber.

The damper seems to perform beautifully and the fork is very hard to bottom, so I don't think the oil level is way off. The only way I know to check the oil level is to replace the oil, and I haven't done that yet. I was going to the other day when I cleaned and lubed the lowers, but then I discovered I didn't have a 24mm socket. I'll get one soon and make sure that the oil level is right.
I agree, the damper seems to work just fine, I ran 50 psi this weekend and the fork was very plush and sag was around 25%, I did seem like the spring rate was too low though since I bottomed the fork a couple of times. I will add another 10 psi and definately forget about the sag settings.

It might just be that the manufacturing tolerances for the air chambers are not very tight, so in my case the positive chamber might be larger than normal :confused:

Thanks

Mada

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
elmadaleno said:
It might just be that the manufacturing tolerances for the air chambers are not very tight, so in my case the positive chamber might be larger than normal :confused:

Mada
I don't think so... most probably your fork is fine and it's just that the volume of air chambers in Revelations are rather large. I would play with positive and negative pressures to get the feel I would like to.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
I am running about 15psi more in the negative chamber than the positive and it feels just like a coil fork. If you run the pressures at the same level it feels more like an air spring fork. Other than that, I am running in the recommended range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.