Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

141 - 160 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi guys - just got my Rascal today down here in Australia . Went with XL

just seeking some advise in setting up the front & rear shock , I’m 83/84 kg which is around 183-185 pounds

any info would be greatly appreciated
Curious how tall you are and how the XL fits. Reach seems short on paper, but that can be deceiving sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Curious how tall you are and how the XL fits. Reach seems short on paper, but that can be deceiving sometimes

im 187cm or 6”1.622
arm wing span = 174cm
leg inner = 85cm

for my height I have shorter arm length but longer torso

today my first ride on it so I will let you guys now

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts
Ok that’s good info , have you played around with any tokens ?

thx again for the reply really appreciate it
Haven't played around with tokens yet but i'm thinking the Pike may benefit from adding one. I'll probably give it a shot in the near future.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is the Rascal’s seattube angle in a good position for pedaling uphill? I know it’s advertised at 75deg, but it’s hard to know what that number really means without demo-ING the bike. And does it do well in all positions when using the dropper post? I’ve had bikes that do a good job in this department and others not so much(too slack.) I’d be on an XL.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
How do these compare to a Ripmo? I've spent a bunch of time on a buddy's XL Ripmo and holy hell are they nice as a do-it-all bike. Ibis's DWLink is just insanely nice. Its not even close to anything else I've ridden going up...and its a blast going down. Not what I'd want for a heavy Enduro race but ridiculously nice for everything else. That being said, I've never ridden a Canfield.

BTW, my Grandma also rode a Rascal E-Scooter. She loved it. (Worst bike name ever lol...their other names are sweet tho)

·
NB
5 Posts
I bought the Rascal over the Ripmo v1. I preferred Rascal suspension platform. Rascal rides like a bigger bike than it’s numbers suggest.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts
Is the Rascal’s seattube angle in a good position for pedaling uphill? I know it’s advertised at 75deg, but it’s hard to know what that number really means without demo-ING the bike. And does it do well in all positions when using the dropper post? I’ve had bikes that do a good job in this department and others not so much(too slack.) I’d be on an XL.
I think it's great. It is very balanced/neutral. A lot of bikes have gotten too aggressive with the seat angle IMO. I've ridden a SB130 and found it put me too far forward when climbing the tech stuff. Too much forward weight caused the front wheel to get hung up. The Rascal puts you in a very neutral place and allows you to move your body weight to accommodate what you are doing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got my Rascal today. I bought it sight unseen and after deciding between a Fezzari Delano, ripmo, or Hightower. I’m 6’2” so right on the edge of most sizes, but the XL Rascal fits spot on. Here are some of my measurements for those trying to decide.

6’2” height, 73” arm span. 33” pants inseam, 36” standover.

I got the gx build spec with upgraded shock/fork and also changed to 170mm cranks. Cockpit fit was spot on out of the box with several spacers on the stem, and I moved the seat forward on rails almost to the stops limit. The dropper is raised maybe half an inch above the collar, so getting almost max drop possible above TT. One thing I would change is the chainring from 32T to a 30T. I do a fair amount of climbing for my descents and found myself in the bailout ring too often, and never used the smallest 2 rings.

I’m coming from a specialized Fuse, so my comparisons to other full suspension rigs are non existent.

I’m still playing with shock settings, I have psi at suggested pressures, but trying to dial in rebound and compression. If anyone has settings they can share I’m all ears.

Also, tire pressure is 27R/24F. What have others found works for them on the i9 wheelset/tire combo?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I can answer some of my own questions, maybe it will save some other folks time. For tire pressure I’ve started to settle around 20f/23r.

shock setup has been the biggest hassle, and had I just stayed close to the factory setup it would have saved a few hours. I have always lived by this setup guide https://www.shockcraft.co.nz/technical-support/suspension-setup-53/suspension-setup However I got fancy with tokens and should have tweaked pressure and rebound first.

And for my weight around 172 geared up I have the rear shock at 190psi, rebound 2 from closed (slow), LSC 4 from open(Fast) for 28-30% seated sag.

Pike Ultimate Fork has 1 token, 66psi, LSC 4 from closed, rebound 9 from closed for 20-22% attack position sag. I ride somewhat light on the bars seated, so this will definitely affect my settings vs others.

The RS fork takes very fine tuning to get rid of its typical harsh ride, I delved through many forum posts here on the “I hate my pike”. Glad I went with the ultimate upgrade...

The fork definitely needs breaking in,something I’ve never had with fox forks. The stiction is real for Rockshox forks, so much that I can’t wait to get some other wiper seals in there when the time comes.

Also, the GX cassette is the biggest piece of junk that has ever graced my rear wheel. I had to actually take pliers and a dremel to it to stop in “clicking” and jumping the chain. See this thread https://forums.mtbr.com/sram/eagle-cassette-tolerance-clicking-1087072.html

Other than that, the rear suspension just doesn’t seem to have a limit, and been loving everything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Setup with DPX2

Hey folks, getting my Rascal in later today. Curious if anyone is running the dpx2 and what settings they have there. Any different to the setup with the super deluxe? Trying to understand good baseline for open mode adjustment and rebound? Thanks

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,507 Posts
Just got my Rascal today. I bought it sight unseen and after deciding between a Fezzari Delano, ripmo, or Hightower. I’m 6’2” so right on the edge of most sizes, but the XL Rascal fits spot on. Here are some of my measurements for those trying to decide.

6’2” height, 73” arm span. 33” pants inseam, 36” standover.

I got the gx build spec with upgraded shock/fork and also changed to 170mm cranks. Cockpit fit was spot on out of the box with several spacers on the stem, and I moved the seat forward on rails almost to the stops limit. The dropper is raised maybe half an inch above the collar, so getting almost max drop possible above TT. One thing I would change is the chainring from 32T to a 30T. I do a fair amount of climbing for my descents and found myself in the bailout ring too often, and never used the smallest 2 rings.

I’m coming from a specialized Fuse, so my comparisons to other full suspension rigs are non existent.

I’m still playing with shock settings, I have psi at suggested pressures, but trying to dial in rebound and compression. If anyone has settings they can share I’m all ears.

Also, tire pressure is 27R/24F. What have others found works for them on the i9 wheelset/tire combo?
If you want to get your seat back in the rails more you could try reducing the stem spacers if that works and even go hi-rise bar if you want to retain the bar height.

That's what I ended up doing (6'4") to get comfortable reach and saddle setup.

I think tire pressure is going to be mostly based on your tires and terrain & riding style.

I am running a Garbaruk 28T/Eagle52 Oval, love it for steeps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I've had my Rascal for about 6 months and love it. It has served me extremely well.

One thing I've noticed - the rear triangle is very pliable. If you grab the back wheel and rock it back and forth, there's quite a bit of movement / pliability side to side.

Its not the bushings or bearings - all are fine and well maintained, properly torqued. Same with the axle and hub.

This seems to be a design characteristic. I can't speak to whether it is a bad characteristic or not. I have talked with a dealer and he said he noticed the same thing with his Rascal, and he thinks it is because the bushing / pivot bolt sizes are smaller than what he saw with the Canfield design, and he thinks maybe they should have been sized bigger and the seat-stays and chain-stays maybe sized a bit thicker.

Anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
So I've had my Rascal for about 6 months and love it. It has served me extremely well.

One thing I've noticed - the rear triangle is very pliable. If you grab the back wheel and rock it back and forth, there's quite a bit of movement / pliability side to side.

Its not the bushings or bearings - all are fine and well maintained, properly torqued. Same with the axle and hub.

This seems to be a design characteristic. I can't speak to whether it is a bad characteristic or not. I have talked with a dealer and he said he noticed the same thing with his Rascal, and he thinks it is because the bushing / pivot bolt sizes are smaller than what he saw with the Canfield design, and he thinks maybe they should have been sized bigger and the seat-stays and chain-stays maybe sized a bit thicker.

Every modern bike I’ve tried, I can use my hands and get the tire to touch the rear triangle....

Maybe a bit of flex designed it. I certainly never noticed it while riding.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Not on the Rascal, but I did notice this on the Rail that I demoed in Moab a few weeks ago. I could feel the flex in certain instances, but when I was hauling ass and hitting drops on the Whole Enchilada, I couldn't feel it at all. I'd be curious to see what Revel says about it. I also have a GG Trail Pistol, and there's virtually no flex at all in the rear triangle... but the ride isn't quite as plush as the Revel either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone wrapped their Rascal? Getting a frame soon, and with the half gloss half matte finish, unsure of which route to go with the film.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has anyone wrapped their Rascal? Getting a frame soon, and with the half gloss half matte finish, unsure of which route to go with the film.
The 3m protective film I got off amazon that protects downtube and back of seat tube is a good, cheap option. It’s not super thick so doubt it would help much with a big rock hitting but it definitely helps with scratches on tailgates and general use. Comes in many widths and thicknesses though. Costs like $20.

I also have a couple thick pieces on rear triangle and chainstay from an old “honeycomb frame guards” frame protection set for when you inevitable lay it over. That stuff is super thick and nice, but it is peeling in spots already.

The kits from dyedbro are really cool, if that’s your thing. I would get the bike in hand and decide which one you want though, as the frame color is a bit different in person from their online photos.

Pinkbike has an article on frame pro too;

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-7-films-and-tapes-to-keep-your-bike-shiny-and-new.html

·
Registered
990 Posts
What size frame? Invisiframe doesn't have a kit for the medium only the large. Ride wraps has medium for the Rascal but it's $95. The half and half on Revel frames make a wrap a tough choice. Do you want gloss or do you want matte.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What size frame? Invisiframe doesn't have a kit for the medium only the large. Ride wraps has medium for the Rascal but it's $95. The half and half on Revel frames make a wrap a tough choice. Do you want gloss or do you want matte.
I was looking at the Medium Ride Wrap. The half and half does make it a tough choice. I was wondering which one keeps the original finish better.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had Invisiframe on my Following and it kept the paint in excellent condition. I think a protective wrap also adds resale value if you ever decide to sell the frame.

·
Registered
36 Posts
May pick one of these up next week but it's a bit of a drive. I'll sit on it but wondering if any other folks in here have long legs? The look of that seat tube angle make me nervous. I'm 5'10 with a 33 inch inseam. Will likely get a large. I have an issue with almost every size medium bike ive owned where the saddle hangs way off the back and it's way up above the bar height.

Are my long legged friends cool with the seated climbing position? I have a lot of tight rolling trails and need a solid seated position.

141 - 160 of 198 Posts