Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
i'm in a positon that seems just as frustrating minus actually owning a new bike.
I haven't ridden a bike yet that has fired me up enough to want to spend the money
I find it somewhat amusing when people say that "you'll get used to it", in response to the newer bikes feeling a lot less fun than my "old" Yeti SB66c
The only two major complaints I have with my bike is the narrow rim/squirmy tires (2.4) and that the seat post doesn't drop far enough down for technical riding
I wish I could have made it to the last Sedona Bike festival to try out a handful of bikes to see what fits me and my style of riding
So far, I've been on a Yeti SB130, SB140, SB150, Ibis Ripmo("old" one), Ibis HD4, Revel Rail, Revel Rascal
Being 6'3'', I've been told that the 29ers are the way to go and I have yet to feel that way,
29ers wheels feel too big and especially when mated with such aggressive tires
Other bikes on my list to ride are
Revel Ranger, Pivot Switchblade and the Ibis Mojo
Yes, the above is every style of bike but when my bike checks off the boxes of being a fun in a broad spectrum of trails I am curious to see what bike can do the same
Well, what you define as fun, your terrain and riding style, your tall height and your weight all matter here. You're talking about short travel bikes, long travel bikes, etc. What travel and geo do you want? If you want mid travel, not 29er, snappy handling, modern geo, then the Mojo4 is probably your bike based on your demos so far. That's for a light all around "trail/light enduro" bike, depending on the fork you put on it. What did you dislike about the HD4? I loved my Bronson V3 demo but it'd classify it as a bit more enduro than most of what you mentioned, except for the SB150. Before buying my AF, I did a ton of demos; Mojo3, Ripmo V1, Bronson V3, Hightower 2 (after I got my AF), Altitude, Instinct BC, Stumpy 27.5, Enduro 27.5 (2018) and Tracer. I didn't demo the Offering, but that's another sweet middle ground 29er that everyone loves. The Rascal and V2 Ripmo weren't out yet when I got mine so not an option.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
i'm in a positon that seems just as frustrating minus actually owning a new bike.
I haven't ridden a bike yet that has fired me up enough to want to spend the money
I find it somewhat amusing when people say that "you'll get used to it", in response to the newer bikes feeling a lot less fun than my "old" Yeti SB66c
The only two major complaints I have with my bike is the narrow rim/squirmy tires (2.4) and that the seat post doesn't drop far enough down for technical riding
I wish I could have made it to the last Sedona Bike festival to try out a handful of bikes to see what fits me and my style of riding
So far, I've been on a Yeti SB130, SB140, SB150, Ibis Ripmo("old" one), Ibis HD4, Revel Rail, Revel Rascal
Being 6'3'', I've been told that the 29ers are the way to go and I have yet to feel that way,
29ers wheels feel too big and especially when mated with such aggressive tires
Other bikes on my list to ride are
Revel Ranger, Pivot Switchblade and the Ibis Mojo
Yes, the above is every style of bike but when my bike checks off the boxes of being a fun in a broad spectrum of trails I am curious to see what bike can do the same
How did you like the Rail?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Being on the tall side 6'3'' and only having the option of riding a large frame, I knew i had to take that in consideration of the feel
I ended up getting used to the bike fairly easily.
That said, the maxxis dhf/dhr are pretty aggressive tire for all but the most demanding trails and then in southern california you dont need that much tread
The Rail is a full on enduro bike that does feel very supportive in regards to pedaling. Unfortunately the suspension felt harsh to me despite being soft on both compression setting and lowering the air pressure below what RockShock says is the ballpark
If your trails are flowy, trail bike style this is completely overkill

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Being on the tall side 6'3'' and only having the option of riding a large frame, I knew i had to take that in consideration of the feel
I ended up getting used to the bike fairly easily.
That said, the maxxis dhf/dhr are pretty aggressive tire for all but the most demanding trails and then in southern california you dont need that much tread
The Rail is a full on enduro bike that does feel very supportive in regards to pedaling. Unfortunately the suspension felt harsh to me despite being soft on both compression setting and lowering the air pressure below what RockShock says is the ballpark
If your trails are flowy, trail bike style this is completely overkill
SoCal, mostly Laguna Beach.
I prefer 27.5 bikes and like longer travel, especially in the front. 140mm isn't enough Fork for me, 160 is a minimum I would go with. I don't like 2 bike scenario either, I ride the same stuff most of the time, so had to sell my mid travel 29er due to not riding any mellow trails much. I even like longer travel on flow trails, as long as I can firm up the rear a bit. Push coil works well in this regard with 2 different settings, trail and DH on mine.
Considering the rail as my Nomad replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, what you define as fun, your terrain and riding style, your tall height and your weight all matter here. You're talking about short travel bikes, long travel bikes, etc. What travel and geo do you want? If you want mid travel, not 29er, snappy handling, modern geo, then the Mojo4 is probably your bike based on your demos so far. That's for a light all around "trail/light enduro" bike, depending on the fork you put on it. What did you dislike about the HD4? I loved my Bronson V3 demo but it'd classify it as a bit more enduro than most of what you mentioned, except for the SB150. Before buying my AF, I did a ton of demos; Mojo3, Ripmo V1, Bronson V3, Hightower 2 (after I got my AF), Altitude, Instinct BC, Stumpy 27.5, Enduro 27.5 (2018) and Tracer. I didn't demo the Offering, but that's another sweet middle ground 29er that everyone loves. The Rascal and V2 Ripmo weren't out yet when I got mine so not an option.
I would say that my 9yr old Yeti SB66c seems to be fun to ride in a wider range of conditions than what I've demoed so far and most likely would be similiar to the Mojo or the Bronson which I've yet to try
And most, if not all of the bikes I've demoed have been set up with super aggressive tires which I believe would help significantly if the set up was a Maxis Aggressor or Rekon in the back and whatever up front ....slightly less aggressive all around

I rode the Ibis HD4 around 1-1/2 yrs ago at least but I'm almost certain it was set up with a 2.5 rear and possibly bigger front. I also don't like the ID of a rim wider than 30mm, like what Ibis and Pivot do on their bikes is too much unless you run a wide tire.
I would never run anything larger than at 2.5 front and 2.4 rear

The 29ers are not anything I believe I'll be stoked on as all around bike but I still want to try the Revel Ranger to see what that category of bike is all about

·
Registered
723 Posts
I demo'd a Mojo3 and it was a totally different bike from the Bronson 3. The Mojo3 is a snappy less capable bike but better on more xc or trail type rides. The Bronson 3 is certainly trail/enduro and much more plush and stable. The Mojo4 though has been updated quite a bit and with a big fork is probably closer to the Bronson 3 but still, the Mojo4 is not an HD5. Anyways, if you like your bike so much and don't seem to like anything else, why bother! Haha. Just ride it.

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
2,507 Posts
Less than 51. Ended up with a 42 as the 51 was back ordered. Swapped some messages with Revel and they (and Worldwide) thought the 42 would actually help compensate for the longer travel :???:.

I appreciate the replies and feedback. I gotta say it's odd having a fancy new bike that I don't want to ride. Planning an outing with a buddy this weekend and will be riding my Canfield EPO. I'm concerned about keeping up on the Rascal and would rather ride and not be flummoxed by my bike.

Guess it's time to put an ad together...
I have been there on a V1 Ripmo, everyone loved the bike. I did a short demo ride and thought I was happy with it. I built up a dream machine only to feel just like you do now. Sell it while its fresh, move on.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
... I like technical climbing and am reasonably proficient. I am consistently failing on the Rascal where I regularly succeed on the Mojo (or my hard tail). The bike feels long, the front end floppy, and the suspension seems to wallow. It feels slow and heavy.,.
Yeah. I don't have a Rascal (or Revel) yet, but been looking at and demoing new bikes and have the same issues with the "new" geo bikes. Too low/long/slack for my riding and preferences, which sound similar to yours. Trail bikes I liked a couple of years ago have moved toward all-mountain/endure geos. XC bikes (and now "down country") have geos very similar to trail bikes a few years ago. That's kind of where I've been looking...maybe the Revel Ranger or Spot Ryve...

·
NB
5 Posts
Less than 51. Ended up with a 42 as the 51 was back ordered. Swapped some messages with Revel and they (and Worldwide) thought the 42 would actually help compensate for the longer travel :???:.

I appreciate the replies and feedback. I gotta say it's odd having a fancy new bike that I don't want to ride. Planning an outing with a buddy this weekend and will be riding my Canfield EPO. I'm concerned about keeping up on the Rascal and would rather ride and not be flummoxed by my bike.

Guess it's time to put an ad together...
You should try swapping the fork. I recently went from a 140 Pike 51 offset to 150 42 offset Lyrik. I am quite happy with it. Revel recommended the shorter offset fork to maintain geometry. A guy I know had 150 pike on his rascal with a 44 offset and didn’t like it as much as a 51. He swapped his fork.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
A longer fork slackens the HTA and adds trail. Decreased offset also adds trail. Those two changes are in the same direction, making the bike even more floppy in climbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 1352651

First few rides on the ElevenSix. Pretty impressive to see the difference. Brought both shocks with me to the trail and riding them an hour apart on the same trail and conditions really proved how a shock can completely change the ride and characteristics of your bike.

Nice setup! I’ve been looking at the push shock but worried it might be too linear? Do you feel like it blows through its travel more? I’m sure push did a good job tuning for the Rascal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice setup! I’ve been looking at the push shock but worried it might be too linear? Do you feel like it blows through its travel more? I’m sure push did a good job tuning for the Rascal.
I have always enjoyed the feeling of an air shock, especially on this bike (and on my old Riot). The main issue I had with it was on the fast rooty, rocky, rutted out sections, I always felt the rear skipping around a good bit. With the ElevenSix it has essentially eliminated that issue.

By eliminated I truly mean just that. The bike is grounded, the rear stays put and you can absolutely open it up on the downs. I haven’t noticed anything with regards to blowing through the travel. I have only used it in ‘DH’ mode so far, and I think the biggest surprise is how well it climbs. Mostly on the rocky tech climbs, but it’s impressive.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions, but I can easily say you’ll be 100% satisfied with this on the Rascal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have always enjoyed the feeling of an air shock, especially on this bike (and on my old Riot). The main issue I had with it was on the fast rooty, rocky, rutted out sections, I always felt the rear skipping around a good bit. With the ElevenSix it has essentially eliminated that issue.

By eliminated I truly mean just that. The bike is grounded, the rear stays put and you can absolutely open it up on the downs. I haven’t noticed anything with regards to blowing through the travel. I have only used it in ‘DH’ mode so far, and I think the biggest surprise is how well it climbs. Mostly on the rocky tech climbs, but it’s impressive.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions, but I can easily say you’ll be 100% satisfied with this on the Rascal.

Nice! Thank you for the feed back. It’s looking very tempting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys - just got my Rascal today down here in Australia . Went with XL

just seeking some advise in setting up the front & rear shock , I’m 83/84 kg which is around 183-185 pounds

any info would be greatly appreciated

·
NB
5 Posts

just seeking some advise in setting up the front & rear shock , I’m 83/84 kg which is around 183-185 pounds

For the rear shock revel recommends 110% of your body weight. I set up my front based on the RockShox app, which recommended 88 psi for 178 lbs.

·
Leash Law Enforcer
1,118 Posts

Sag is suggested to be between 25%-30% in the rear. I weigh just about the same as you and I achieve that sag with about 215 psi. Sag sits just shy of 30% at that pressure and feels great.

I'm running about 90 psi in the Pike up front and it feels great too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sag is suggested to be between 25%-30% in the rear. I weigh just about the same as you and I achieve that sag with about 215 psi. Sag sits just shy of 30% at that pressure and feels great.

I'm running about 90 psi in the Pike up front and it feels great too.
Ok that’s good info , have you played around with any tokens ?

thx again for the reply really appreciate it

121 - 140 of 197 Posts