Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

321 - 340 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
What cranksets are you guys using? If it's not a boost crankset you'll need to shim the drive side BB bearing an additional 2mm to get proper clearance. Shimming the drive side BB bearing will give you an asymmetric Q factor. I'm running a boost XT (FC-M8000-B) crank with a 32t oval and have plenty of clearance.
And hows your chainline? Lined up with 6-7 cog?

I'm running a RaceFace Next R Crank which is boost compatible. I pushed my chainring out to the same clearance as yours and my chainline is horrible. Lined up with 11th cog. In 1st cog the chain is so sideways I can feel the drag.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i’m running a boost xt crankset as well. i shouldn’t have said the chainstay, the bolts on the back of the chainring were contacting the rear triangle directly under the chainring during riding when the frame would flex. either way it’s no longer a problem now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Shimano XTR boost here with great chain line - lining up perfectly with #7 cog on the 12-speed cassette.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
And hows your chainline? Lined up with 6-7 cog?

I'm running a RaceFace Next R Crank which is boost compatible. I pushed my chainring out to the same clearance as yours and my chainline is horrible. Lined up with 11th cog. In 1st cog the chain is so sideways I can feel the drag.
Chainline is fine no dropping chain when backpedaling and shifts perfect.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hopefully simple questions here: how many spacers come stock in the positive and negative chambers in the Topaz on the DVO build? In terms of setting sag, what is the stroke length? My bike will hopefully be ready to pick up tomorrow, I am stoked!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hopefully simple questions here: how many spacers come stock in the positive and negative chambers in the Topaz on the DVO build? In terms of setting sag, what is the stroke length? My bike will hopefully be ready to pick up tomorrow, I am stoked!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I don't think there are any volume reducers in the Topaz from factory. Mine came with five if I needed but I don't think I will. As far as sag you can set it pretty much anywhere it feels good to you due to the way the CBF suspension works. But if you want numbers 12.5mm would be 25% and around 16mm for 30%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't think there are any volume reducers in the Topaz from factory. Mine came with five if I needed but I don't think I will. As far as sag you can set it pretty much anywhere it feels good to you due to the way the CBF suspension works. But if you want numbers 12.5mm would be 25% and around 16mm for 30%.
Thanks for the reply. I just heard back from DVO and they do not believe that any spacers are spec'd in the OEM Topaz they provide Revel. This seems like a curious thing to me.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I just heard back from DVO and they do not believe that any spacers are spec'd in the OEM Topaz they provide Revel. This seems like a curious thing to me.
I don't think the shock really needs them like RS or Fox. I think that they're more of a fine tune option for some riders. The platform switch works really well on the Topaz, open is super plush, trail is definitely noticeably firmer and closed is very firm but not locked. Also with the fact that it's on the CBF suspension leaves a lot of room for a set up that feels good to the rider meaning running more or less sag depending on how firm or soft you like your bike to feel. That's one of the great things about the CBF is that it functions the same way regardless of how much sag it has where as other suspension platforms perform best at a recommended sag.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rngspnr said:

So out of curiosity, I asked Revel about this. Their customer service is top notch and they replied quickly stating if purchased OEM with the frame from Revel, two spacers will be in the positive chamber and none in the negative.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Rngspnr said:

So out of curiosity, I asked Revel about this. Their customer service is top notch and they replied quickly stating if purchased OEM with the frame from Revel, two spacers will be in the positive chamber and none in the negative.
That's good to know. Now I have to open my shock and see what's in there I'm betting no reducers being as the shock was bought online. Yes, Revel is excellent about customer service. Called the other day to get color Pantone for my frame and got an immediate call back after leaving a message.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's good to know. Now I have to open my shock and see what's in there I'm betting no reducers being as the shock was bought online. Yes, Revel is excellent about customer service. Called the other day to get color Pantone for my frame and got an immediate call back after leaving a message.
Out of curiosity, what color frame do you have? Can you share the pantone code.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Out of curiosity, what color frame do you have? Can you share the pantone code.
I have the Sedona Red. The Pantone that Revel gave me is 1525C they said it's not the actual Pantone of the frame but is the closest color in the Pantone chart.

·
Registered
74 Posts
3 rides in on the Rascal and all I can say is "wow". I had previously ridden a 27.5 Giant Trance Advanced. I enjoyed the poppy and nimble feel of that bike, especially on my local twisty and technical New England singletrack. Average speeds can typically be under 4 mph on this terrain. The Trance was light and agile and easy to move around. My primary complaint while riding that bike was that the front end always felt light and would become easily unweighted on steep climbs, doubly so technical climbs. It also felt a tad squirrely on fast downhills, wandering and getting kicked around a bit. I test rode a Ripmo V1 and the new Switchblade, and wasn't exactly wowed by either, but knew it was time to move on to a 29er. I set my sights on the Ripmo V2, but after advice from some on this thread and some friends, I decided on the Rascal. I sold the Trance back in January to fund the Rascal (with no demo ride) and have sadly not sat on a mountain bike again until this past weekend.

The Rascal is every bit as poppy and nimble as the Trance, if not more. My mountain bike fitness and trail skills have certainly dulled over the past 3 months, and I have put on a few pounds since last season. That being said, the Rascal is cleaning technical climbs on the first try that I rarely cleaned on the Trance, even while in my personal peak fitness and skill level. It feels surgical in that I can place it where ever I feel like to get through tight spots and rolls with confidence and speed when the trail points down. It claws easily over greasy roots and rocks and I am still searching to find the limits of it's traction. I had to throttle back a tad today on one particular technical downhill because I felt like the bike was writing checks that my current skill level couldn't cash. I am feeling super motivated to get my fitness, skill, and weight back on track so I can begin to really understand what this bike is capable of. It is certainly capable of far better performance than I am able to challenge it to.

My only niggle, as others have mentioned, is the weight. I have not put it on the scale yet, but I can tell from the parking lot bike rack lift test, this bike is kind of a pig. I cannot feel this weight at all when sitting on it, and it climbs like a deranged mountain goat, but I am wondering what this bike would feel like if I could drop a pound or two. Current build below,

Fork: DVO Diamond
Shock: DVO Topaz
Brakes: Shimano Deore
Shifter: Shimano XT 12 speed
Rear Mech: Shimano Deore
Cassette: Shimano Deore
Crank: Shimano Deore
Bars: OneUp carbon
Wheels: i9 1/1 Enduroi
Tires: DHF/Agressor

I would appreciate any and all suggestions on how to get a little fat off without touching the wheel/tire combo.

For those waiting on theirs, feel free to ask any questions. I certainly asked a lot leading up to my decision to buy and am happy to pay it forward.

·
Registered
298 Posts
3 rides in on the Rascal and all I can say is "wow". I had previously ridden a 27.5 Giant Trance Advanced. I enjoyed the poppy and nimble feel of that bike, especially on my local twisty and technical New England singletrack. Average speeds can typically be under 4 mph on this terrain. The Trance was light and agile and easy to move around. My primary complaint while riding that bike was that the front end always felt light and would become easily unweighted on steep climbs, doubly so technical climbs. It also felt a tad squirrely on fast downhills, wandering and getting kicked around a bit. I test rode a Ripmo V1 and the new Switchblade, and wasn't exactly wowed by either, but knew it was time to move on to a 29er. I set my sites on the Ripmo V2, but after advice from some on this thread and some friends, I decided on the Rascal. I sold the Trance back in January to fund the Rascal (with no demo ride) and have sadly not sat on a mountain bike again until this past weekend.

The Rascal is every bit as poppy and nimble as the Trance, if not more. My mountain bike fitness and trail skills have certainly dulled over the past 3 months, and I have put on a few pounds since last season. That being said, the Rascal is cleaning technical climbs on the first try that I rarely cleaned on the Trance, even while in my personal peak fitness and skill level. It feels surgical in that I can place it where ever I feel like to get through tight spots and rolls with confidence and speed when the trail points down. It claws easily over greasy roots and rocks and I am still searching to find the limits of it's traction. I had to throttle back a tad today on one particular technical downhill because I felt like the bike was writing checks that my current skill level couldn't cash. I am feeling super motivated to get my fitness, skill, and weight back on track so I can begin to really understand what this bike is capable of. It is certainly capable of far better performance than I am able to challenge it to.

My only niggle, as others have mentioned, is the weight. I have not put it on the scale yet, but I can tell from the parking lot bike rack lift test, this bike is kind of a pig. I cannot feel this weight at all when sitting on it, and it climbs like a deranged mountain goat, but I am wondering what this bike would feel like if I could drop a pound or two. Current build below,

I would appreciate any and all suggestions on how to get a little fat off without touching the wheel/tire combo.

For those waiting on theirs, feel free to ask any questions. I certainly asked a lot leading up to my decision to buy and am happy to pay it forward.
Dude! Glad to hear you like it! Bike preferences are so subjective that I never know how much or what advice to give folks. I'm still stoked with my Rascal tho and ride it more than any of my other bikes.

As for the losing some bike weight, I've struggled with this but think I've found peace with where my Rascal is now. Not traveling over the past year definitely gave me some extra cash to work on it too. (Keep in mind, I just bought the frame cuz I build my own bikes and reuse parts.) I swapped out the stem and brakes to lose all of like 1/2lb, but debatable if worth the cost. Also swapped out my wheel sets cuz one is a slightly lighter than the other. About all I can see that you could do with yours would be to slap some carbon cranks on there, but that won't lose that much. I mean, I'm running all carbon, granted burly carbon cuz I'm big, but my Rascal is only like a pound less than my old Riot, which is still hard for me to wrap my head around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3 rides in on the Rascal and all I can say is "wow". I had previously ridden a 27.5 Giant Trance Advanced. I enjoyed the poppy and nimble feel of that bike, especially on my local twisty and technical New England singletrack. Average speeds can typically be under 4 mph on this terrain. The Trance was light and agile and easy to move around. My primary complaint while riding that bike was that the front end always felt light and would become easily unweighted on steep climbs, doubly so technical climbs. It also felt a tad squirrely on fast downhills, wandering and getting kicked around a bit. I test rode a Ripmo V1 and the new Switchblade, and wasn't exactly wowed by either, but knew it was time to move on to a 29er. I set my sights on the Ripmo V2, but after advice from some on this thread and some friends, I decided on the Rascal. I sold the Trance back in January to fund the Rascal (with no demo ride) and have sadly not sat on a mountain bike again until this past weekend.

hahaha, exactly my impression. It´s like that Rascal has a secret 1,2*Weight multiplier that is only in effect when picking the bike up and deactivated as soon as you start peddlin´. The only think coming to my mind would be switching to a lighter cassette, but I am really not sure if it´s worth it, as the Deore is all steel all hyperglide+ goodness. Mine is a large rascal with:
XTR chainset
XTR pedals
Intend Grace Stem
Pro Tharsis carbon handlebar
PNW Ranier V3 dropper and Loam Lever
PNW grips
Manitou Mezzer Pro fork
Superdeluxe Shock
X01 Eagle cassette
Formula Cura4 brakes
XT shifter
XT derailleur
Astute Mudlite Saddle
Vittoria Agarro 2.6 fron 2.35 rear (Trail casing)
cushcore xc rear
Sram Roam60 rear wheel, Syntace W33i front wheel

So it´s a shitload of carbon with also some really light parts like the Intend stem, the XTR crank and the X01 cassette and relatively light tires and still the goodamn Rascal is at 14.4 kg with pedals. But I really can´t be mad at it, it´s a bit of a rascal and likes to party, so an extra pound here and there is to be tolerated ;) It think even going full XC build on it one couldn´t drop below 12 kg... so I just try to drop a pound or two of my personal weight.
After putting some miles on it I am really super super impressed and happy. What an animal. Paraphrasing the old "climbs like a XC, descends like a DH" cliché I would like to say it climbs like a goat and descends like a goat.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I think some of the weight is that the frame is pretty burly. The rear end is definitely way stiffer than my Following was. It is very odd that it weighs more than my last bike but feels lighter when pedaling it. I think that because the suspension is so efficient it offsets the extra weight.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It think even going full XC build on it one couldn´t drop below 12 kg...
I have a buddy looking to build a sub 30lb shorter travel bike (Ripley, Spur or SB115), like he's aiming for 28lbs or less. I suggested the Ranger, and he was like "no way". I haven't seen a Ranger in person, but I'm guessing he's right.

Think I mentioned in a much earlier post that I also swapped out the cassette, which also required swapping the driveshell too, which I thankfully I already had. Helped a little with weight.

321 - 340 of 344 Posts