Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

281 - 300 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
This. :) Honestly, it's so easy to fall down that rabbit hole... I just got the mezzer because I got a good price on it and I am a bit of a fan of "underdogs" or "not-big-player-stuff". And because of the looks. And the ease of travel. And I thought it would be the same or at least a very similar color to the T1000 frame (wanted to go full silver bullet), which of course turned out to be not so true. Did I mention the looks? Those fatass 37mm stanchions look so right :) I think nowadays almost all of the stuff is at a level performance-wise that is far above and beyond of the average Joe's needs. Anyhow, that stupid Chainguide. Could someone with a sram or raceface crank and a 52mm Chainline give a quick input on chainring clearance? Would be much appreciated! Btw, so stoked about your upcoming maiden voyage! I thought mine would also be this weekend but winter has decided to mount a full comeback, and now we have more snow than the two months before. 😕

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Interesting... do you have any washers or spacers under the Chainguide? If not, how about the SRAM faction with the 52mm chainline?
No washers or spacers. Guide is mounted directly to frame. Don't know what SRAM faction is.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
You guys are freaking me out a bit about my suspension choice. I'll have the SDL out back and a Pike Ultimate 150 up front. I had an older Pike on my prior bike and got along with it just fine. I have a DVO Diamond on my single speed, and while I think it's very good, I don't see a world of difference compared to my prior Pike. The rear shock may be a different story, however, as I haven't had Rockshox in the bike for several bikes now. That one worked pretty well. Guess I'll start with the Rockshox stuff and see how it goes. The build is just about finished, and I expect the maiden voyage to be this weekend!
To be fair I think there is an issue with the SDL that came on my bike. Last ride with the SDL it felt like it was locked while in the open setting. I switched it to lock and tried to cycle it and it felt the same as unlocked, when I started riding again it started to work again but it has been harsh since day one. Coming off of an Evil Following the first thing I noticed about the Rascal was it's lack of plushness. It also seemed that the rear end skipped around more than my previous bike. I assumed that it might just be the way the CBF behaved or just need to break in. The Topaz works much better than the SDL did, it's plush off the top and the rear tire stays planted better now. Something else I noticed with the SDL is that the rebound dial would get really hard to turn as it got closer to full turtle.
Sending it in for warranty service but it still won't be going back on my bike. I'm a heavier rider and have had no luck with Rockshox shocks. My Following had a Monarch RCT3 Debonair that required so much air pressure to get to recommended sag that it was harsh. I replaced it with a Mcleod which is a way better shock in all aspects.
I can't speak for the Pike as never having owned one but my buddy has a Pike he dumped a ton of time and money into to get it where he likes it. He has the latest charger damper and an MRP ramp control in it. He rode my bike with the Diamond and his first comment was how plush the fork felt compared to his Pike.
I don't really care for the Rockshox solo air stuff I had a Revelation dual air that I liked quite a bit because I could tune the negative chamber to my liking. The idea of a dimple to equalize pressure just seems like a cheaper way to produce the fork to me. Rockshox forks are also notorious for air migration into the lower legs I had a Yari on my hardtail that suffered from air migration.
Don't sweat the SDL I'm sure it will be fine, like I said I think mine had an issue.
Another note on the Diamond is the one you have boost? I had a non boost on my Evil and liked it I, but I have a boost on my Rascal and it's noticeably better. The chassis is much stiffer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No washers or spacers. Guide is mounted directly to frame. Don't know what SRAM faction is.
With sram faction I just meant the guys riding sram. Must be some of those around, right? This whole chainline business has me completely puzzled right now. Official SRAM technical handbook states their boost chainline at 52mm. You have a perfect fit for the chainguide but are running a 53.5mm chainline (btw, did you measure that? Just read up at absoluteblack, they do indeed say that the chainline depends on the crank. How is that even working then?! Because the next bigger SRAm chainline is then 56.5 for their Superboost+, and that again would be too far outboard. 1615986783703.png
1615986783703.png

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I do know that the frame was designed using the SRAM Dub crank.
OK measured BB and the weep hole is dead center. Measured from weep hole to center of chainring and it's 53mm pretty much on the nose.
You'll need to get your chainring to 53mm it looks like. 51.8 puts you1.2mm off. You could use a 1mm spacer along with the 2.5 on your BB drive side cup to get you there, your cranks would be ever so slightly asymmetrical in the frame but I can tell you you won't notice it when pedaling.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Or contact these guys for some info

·
Registered
12 Posts
Revel just wrote, they have a new chainguide in the making, so I´ll wait for that one and in the meanwhile ride carefully :p Are you guys wrapping or partially wrapping the frame or can anyone recommend some matte foil/film/helicopter tape? I don´t want to go supersayan full wrap, but a little bit on the down tube and other exposed areas would be nice, and basically all areas in question are matte and become superglossy with the normal tape I have.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't really care for the Rockshox solo air stuff I had a Revelation dual air that I liked quite a bit because I could tune the negative chamber to my liking. The idea of a dimple to equalize pressure just seems like a cheaper way to produce the fork to me. Rockshox forks are also notorious for air migration into the lower legs I had a Yari on my hardtail that suffered from air migration.
Don't sweat the SDL I'm sure it will be fine, like I said I think mine had an issue.
Another note on the Diamond is the one you have boost? I had a non boost on my Evil and liked it I, but I have a boost on my Rascal and it's noticeably better. The chassis is much stiffer.
Thank you for all the detailed input. My Diamond is indeed a boost on the SS, and it is very good. I find myself willing to go down most of the same technical and steep descents on that bike, as I did on my previous full suspension. If the Pike Ultimate I'm putting on the Revel is as good as my prior Pike, I think I will be fine with it. I also appreciate the input on the SDL. I'll evaluate how it feels as well as the controls and how easy or hard they are to turn. I'm also a pretty big guy (around 220 lbs. geared up and ready to ride), so we'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

Reactions: Rngspnr

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I wanted to wrap mine but decided not to because of the matte/gloss issue. Good luck with the chain guide!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I drove to Salt cycles in Salt Lake City from Sacramento to pick this beast up. Did a shakedown ride in the Jem trails in Hurricane to break it in. Such a great ride
View attachment 1922076

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sweet looking bike! I wanted the T1000 but settled for Sedona Red back in October not knowing when a frame would be available.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drove to Salt cycles in Salt Lake City from Sacramento to pick this beast up. Did a shakedown ride in the Jem trails in Hurricane to break it in. Such a great ride
View attachment 1922076

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks rad!! I also went with the silver-orange theme :geek:;) and it looks like you also got rid of the chain guide, although this should be the same crank Rngspnr is using. Is yours the non-boost variety?

·
Registered
343 Posts
New Rascal in the house!

Rode it home from the shop on Thursday. 22 miles in the Albuquerque foothills on Friday and 28 more yesterday. I am absolutely blown away!

It has already exceeded my expectations. I'm making technical moves on climbs I never have on any other bike, and the descending and air time are sublime! It's exactly what I hoped it would be. Near perfection!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Revel just wrote, they have a new chainguide in the making, so I´ll wait for that one and in the meanwhile ride carefully :p Are you guys wrapping or partially wrapping the frame or can anyone recommend some matte foil/film/helicopter tape? I don´t want to go supersayan full wrap, but a little bit on the down tube and other exposed areas would be nice, and basically all areas in question are matte and become superglossy with the normal tape I have.
I used lamin-x. I diy'd it and did the spots I was most concerned about wear. It's not pretty since I'm a little dexterously challenged when it comes to fine motor skills, but it's protected and you can only see my wavy, jagged cuts in bright light which is ironically when the t-1000 color looks its best. The tape works well and is way cheaper than ride wrap etc. I bought a matte role and a glossy. Ignore my messy room and dirty bike. Used flash to show how noticable it is in very direct light.

I ended up getting headtube, toptube, down tube, chain and seat stays, and the behind the bb area where the rear wheel kicks up rocks. Had to get really creative for cutting out around the rear axle on the chain/seat stays but it's on and protected.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This. :) Honestly, it's so easy to fall down that rabbit hole... I just got the mezzer because I got a good price on it and I am a bit of a fan of "underdogs" or "not-big-player-stuff". And because of the looks. And the ease of travel. And I thought it would be the same or at least a very similar color to the T1000 frame (wanted to go full silver bullet), which of course turned out to be not so true. Did I mention the looks? Those fatass 37mm stanchions look so right :) I think nowadays almost all of the stuff is at a level performance-wise that is far above and beyond of the average Joe's needs. Anyhow, that stupid Chainguide. Could someone with a sram or raceface crank and a 52mm Chainline give a quick input on chainring clearance? Would be much appreciated! Btw, so stoked about your upcoming maiden voyage! I thought mine would also be this weekend but winter has decided to mount a full comeback, and now we have more snow than the two months before. 😕
I had been considering the silver mezzer on my t-1000 for the same reasons. Any pics? I have a gx build with the default sdl select and pike select. They work just fine for me but was thinking I would upgrade the fork next season for looks and because I enjoy being able to tinker a bit. Would probably change the shock out first. It's weird only having rebound but luckily cbf is so good I have never felt the need for a lockout

·
Registered
59 Posts
does anyone have builds/weights we can compare? anyone ridden both a rascal and a ranger and have any insight on the overlap and where one excels/doesn’t where it might surprise you? (save for the obvious ranger climbs better rascal descends better yada yada)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had been considering the silver mezzer on my t-1000 for the same reasons. Any pics? I have a gx build with the default sdl select and pike select. They work just fine for me but was thinking I would upgrade the fork next season for looks and because I enjoy being able to tinker a bit. Would probably change the shock out first. It's weird only having rebound but luckily cbf is so good I have never felt the need for a lockout
You guys always have such breathtaking background to put your bikes against... Best I can do at the moment is a medium sized tree, but here you go!

·
Registered
12 Posts
does anyone have builds/weights we can compare? anyone ridden both a rascal and a ranger and have any insight on the overlap and where one excels/doesn’t where it might surprise you? (save for the obvious ranger climbs better rascal descends better yada yada)
Uuuuuuh, porky af, to be honest. I don´t have a precise scale, so I just used the one for suitcases and stuff. 14.7kg with pedals. Which sounds like a lot. Also feels kind of... let´s just call it solid, when you pick it up. For reference, my previous/other bike is a 26" Race hardtail at 9kgs (that was considered light, back in ´09). But. Pedaling so far has been brilliant (didn´t get to steep/technical stuff yet), almost no pedal bob, and with the shock locked out it´s almost rigid. I also built it slightly heavier than it strictly has to be (without going full pork); Mezzer adds some coule of hundred grams vs the pike, I have a cushcore xc in the back, big discs front and rear. On the other hand I tried to save some weight without going completely bonkers, money-wise, and without compromising the inherent beefy-ness. I can´t wait trying it out in it´s intended habitat :)
Color wise I really have to say that it comes alive in direct sunshine. In the shade, the frame has a completely different, much darker color than the Mezzer. It´s almost exactly the color of the cranks, think gunmetal/battleship grey. I am still not sure if I like it or not and also still very undecided if I wouldn´t prefer the black mezzer.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
The freaking weight weinies always have to poke around, don't they.

From what I understand after talking with Chris Canfield, the Rascal and Ranger should feel very similar with regards to pedaling platform. So similar that if blindfolded, Chris admitted he prob couldn't tell the difference pedaling both bikes. Pretty sure there is clear documentation from Revel that the Ranger frame is over 1lb lighter then the Rascal.

281 - 300 of 344 Posts