Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 493 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Good choice. The Revel's run a tad heavy but that rear suspension is soooooooo good in the repeated chunk/chatter/breaking bumps that I think it *should* be much better on the downs than the other bikes in this class. I know the Rascal was 10X better than the Yeti SB130 coming down.

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,367 Posts
Put my deposit in this morning. Large Black. Will run my Ohlins suspension on it..

·
Formerly of Kent
12,219 Posts
Beautiful looking bikes. I’d like to compare it to my Sniper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think I might have one if the first ones showing up this week??
Went green with blue Sid package
@Le Duke, this is what I got the xrc’s 1200’s for I posted in the xc forum
I’m 5’8sh and went with [email protected], how tall are you?
My trail bike (2020 occam) is a large, but the medium ranger looks to have front center #’s close to my old large sb100 which was a stable yet nimble xc bike. Honestly, I’ve been chasing the performance of the sb ever since I sold it.....I had SI issues
Going barzo 2.35 mezcal 2.35
Shimano “xtr” FC-mt900-1 cranks 34 t (side note, one of the best deals in cycling...it’s the non series crank they used as place holder til the series crank hit....I believe it’s the xtr ring and the crank is lighter than xt... finishing is nice)
Xtr 4 piston brakes
Xt shifter, der cassette
Xtr chain
One up 180 dropper and bar
I9 a35 stem 50mm
Fabric scoop
Odi elite pro’s
Will post pic and ride report stat

·
Registered
947 Posts
Beautiful looking bikes. I’d like to compare it to my Sniper.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On PB comments, someone said Revel has frame at 6.1#(med). Is that acceptable...esp when compared to your Sniper?

At 195#, not sure I’d be concerned about pushing some weight esp. if it improved durability, but just interested to hear a race guys take.

This bike is intriguing to me bc I liked the Rascal so much, but I don’t need a 140/130...but wonder if the shorter travel will “feel” the same.

Velez: please post pics, b/c I was thinking: green with blue!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Will do @smartyiak
Bringing parts up today, hoping to snap pic of frame to weigh.....
Not trying to an answer for Le Duke but my 2cents...I have zero issues with 6lbs (think that includes shock). Revel bikes are known for their sublime ride characteristic which comes from their layup process (fairly elaborate, cool to read about) and CBF
We’ve probably All had bikes that weren’t the lightest but flew, and I’ve had some light weights that have cracked, felt like poo in the high speed chatter K2 discusses,
Or had other issues with linkage compromises for weights sake
Some flex stay designs are pretty good, some high mod rockets do ok with chunky XC but I want zero compromises on suspension when only dealing with 115, if not I’d just reach for a hard tail .....also, lifetime warranty✌🏼

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,367 Posts
@velez3000 - Im 5'9" but always upsize. I love long bikes and long reach.

Hmmmm....probably trying to makeup for other short comings. But that's another thread altogether. HAHA

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
On PB comments, someone said Revel has frame at 6.1#(med). Is that acceptable...esp when compared to your Sniper?

At 195#, not sure I’d be concerned about pushing some weight esp. if it improved durability, but just interested to hear a race guys take.

This bike is intriguing to me bc I liked the Rascal so much, but I don’t need a 140/130...but wonder if the shorter travel will “feel” the same.

6.1 is a half pound more than a SB100 and close to a full pound more than a Blur. To me, that's not a deal breaker - which is why I put my deposit down.

I was told early August delivery, so I wonder if the press release is outdated, or a bunch of people got in line in front of me. I paid my $100 at ~10AM MST on 6/22.

Also, I was told approximately 6# even for a large with shock , but that they didn't have any production frames to say for certain, so +/- a margin.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,219 Posts

I'd have no problem building that bike up to 24.X lbs. The frame is only a lb heavier than my current bike.

If it had great ride quality, and pedaled well, I could see plenty of people jumping on it for an endurance machine. What I don't understand is people taking a 120/115mm bike and building it up at 30lbs. Going fast both up and down is the reason for a bike like that. Making it drag ass going up makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'd have no problem building that bike up to 24.X lbs. The frame is only a lb heavier than my current bike.

If it had great ride quality, and pedaled well...What I don't understand is people taking a 120/115mm bike and building it up at 30lbs. Going fast both up and down is the reason for a bike like that. Making it drag ass going up makes no sense to me.
Yep...that's what I was getting at with both my weight and "feel" comments. For example, I demo'd a Stumpy-ST and Smuggler. I loved the geo of the Smuggler, but both the Stumpy and Smugg seemed to suck the life out of me when climbing; there just didn't seem to be any support there (I've seen your "wet mattress" comments and I think the analogy is not a bad one). I rode a Pivot Firebird right after those two...and I would prefer riding that all day to either of those two...despite the MUCH longer travel (and it probably weighed the same).

If the Ranger pedals like a Rascal on EPO, it will be a great bike.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,219 Posts
Yep...that's what I was getting at with both my weight and "feel" comments. For example, I demo'd a Stumpy-ST and Smuggler. I loved the geo of the Smuggler, but both the Stumpy and Smugg seemed to suck the life out of me when climbing; there just didn't seem to be any support there (I've seen your "wet mattress" comments and I think the analogy is not a bad one). I rode a Pivot Firebird right after those two...and I would prefer riding that all day to either of those two...despite the MUCH longer travel (and it probably weighed the same).

If the Ranger pedals like a Rascal on EPO, it will be a great bike.
Yeah. There are certain bikes that for whatever reason, despite having longer travel, feel significantly better than shorter, seemingly more sporty bikes. Not just going uphill, but any time you have to get on the gas. Getting back up to speed out of a corner, for example. Is it geometry? AS? Some other mystical, heretofore undefined quality? I don't know.

Your Firebird example is a good one. I haven't ridden a Firebird, but have thrown a leg over a Switchblade; it pedals very well for what it is. Extremely well. A bike like a Stumpjumper ST, though? Why not just get the EVO or normal version and extra travel if it's going to pedal that poorly? It goes down very well, but it's certainly not in the same class of bike as a Sniper T, for example. Similar travel to a Ripley V4, but not even close in terms of feel.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very interested in this bike as i'm currently shopping for a new one. Had my sights on the Ripley, T429 and Following V3. Ruled out the sb100, can't take that chance with my money ( i've read the switch problem is over hyped, but still). Anyways they're all great bikes. I live in Ohio, so looking for something that can be great on the tight, rooty, midwest style of terrain. Not a racer but i do like to get on the gas, and catch a little air here and there. Demo's hard to come in my area, other than the big 3. But did get a demo last year on the T429, size L. At just a little under 6'1" that bike felt short, would probably size up to Xl. But really liked the feel of the DW.

That leads me to my hesitation on the Ranger...I really like the looks of the geo, not too extreme. i think it would be great for my area. But I don't know much about the CBH suspension. Does it have a good peddling platform, is it a good climber? Does it have good support to accelerate out of corners? I don't want to hassle with lockouts. Most of my climbs are too short to mess with that. I've read about the Rascal, but that's a different horse for a different course. Curious about the shock tune for the Ranger. Very tempted to put in a pre order. Ohh the dilemmas!!

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Very interested in this bike as i'm currently shopping for a new one. Had my sights on the Ripley, T429 and Following V3. Ruled out the sb100, can't take that chance with my money ( i've read the switch problem is over hyped, but still). Anyways they're all great bikes. I live in Ohio, so looking for something that can be great on the tight, rooty, midwest style of terrain. Not a racer but i do like to get on the gas, and catch a little air here and there. Demo's hard to come in my area, other than the big 3. But did get a demo last year on the T429, size L. At just a little under 6'1" that bike felt short, would probably size up to Xl. But really liked the feel of the DW.

That leads me to my hesitation on the Ranger...I really like the looks of the geo, not too extreme. i think it would be great for my area. But I don't know much about the CBH suspension. Does it have a good peddling platform, is it a good climber? Does it have good support to accelerate out of corners? I don't want to hassle with lockouts. I've read about the Rascal, but that's a different horse for a different course. Curious about the shock tune for the Ranger. Very tempted to put in a pre order. Ohh the dilemmas!!
Just going to cut and paste my response to someone in the the Rascal thread:
I've had a Canfield Riot and a Ripley V1, LS and V4.
Love the Riot but more bike than I needed. Loved my Ripley's except the V4.
I already posted a thread about the Ranger, but 99% sure that's my next bike. Even before selling my Riot I with others always wished the Brothers came out with a shorter travel version of the Riot. The Ranger is exactly what I want except for the under BB routing. I guess I'll have to get over that.

Not discounting Ibis's DW link, I prefer it to other bikes I've had except for CBF of the Riot.

FYI I'm riding the same types of trail here in MD/VA area.

·
Registered
49 Posts
TwoTone that's good information. Based on your experience with CBH, DW and other bikes and also riding the same type of trail as I, leads me to believe i'm on the right track with the Ranger. There a lot to like about it. I guess worse case, they have a great return policy if it really came to that. But i doubt it would.

Trying to make a bike purchase decision based solely off of internet information can be so confusing. I really appreciate the mtbr discussion boards, a great source of info and experience.

Now for the Ranger... probably GX build, maybe upgrade suspension and wheels. I do really like that XO1 build, but ohhh the moneyyy!!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
My pivot has similar under-the-bb routing for the derailleur, then it reconnects into the rear triangle. Never think about it. It just works.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My pivot has similar under-the-bb routing for the derailleur, then it reconnects into the rear triangle. Never think about it. It just works.
While I've never had an issue I'd read of people having damaged lines. I've also read about lines that get pulled through the frame as suspension compresses.

For me it's just a useless mud catcher. Had under the BB on my SJ and mud mixed with leaves in the fall was a hassle. SJ was even worse because the lines ran down the bottom of the down tube.

Love my Ripleys, don't like the brake line routing even though they don't go under the BB.

It's a personal preference, I feel there are much cleaner ways to route cables. Just like I think internal rear brake line is stupid.

·
Registered
505 Posts
been on the Rascal since early Spring... all I can say is Hot Damn! The CBF suspension is 110% legit. Best climbing FS yet on the loose, rocky, rooty techy climbs... it just flows over everything without that hangup feeling I had on 4 bar rear ends. Betting they kill it with the Ranger, perfect XC weapon for the rider who's looking for a 100-120mm setup...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
The Revel kinematics is DW link sus, like IBIS and others. The rear triangle is controlled by two co-rotating links with the vp in front of and just above the BB. Of course, that said, the devil is in the details.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Revel kinematics is DW link sus, like IBIS and others. The rear triangle is controlled by two co-rotating links with the vp in front of and just above the BB. Of course, that said, the devil is in the details.
CBF isn't DW Link.

1 - 20 of 493 Posts