Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I procured a Revel Propulsion mid-drive. The kit, designed and assembled in OR, was executed well and weighed less than eight pounds for the motor/controller, display and mounting hardware. This replaced my BB and crankset which weigh slightly more than two pounds, so less than six pounds net addition. The battery and cradle, which mount using the water bottle bolts, weigh slightly more than four pounds. The system is rated at 450w, 60 nm torque so slightly less than most OEM's, but was developed for individuals who like to pedal. I'll post a report about the performance when I've evaluated it thoroughly.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frame isn't here yet, but I'll photograph the components in the next few days. Bike should be completed in a couple of weeks. Decided to use a Kona Honzo frame since it's always been a blast to ride.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am interested so I goggled Revel Propulsion to learn more about the product.
I did not see a price or what the tooth count options are for the chain ring to the cluster and the chain ring to the motor on the bottom bracket.
It appears the motor is mounted more forward than a Bafang ,therefore not hanging down so low.
Others have tried this concept, so I am curious how they have improved on the design.
One company marketed a similar design with a back pack battery and quick motor removal to shuttle up and ride down legally to meet trail requirements.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am interested so I goggled Revel Propulsion to learn more about the product.
I did not see a price or what the tooth count options are for the chain ring to the cluster and the chain ring to the motor on the bottom bracket.
It appears the motor is mounted more forward than a Bafang ,therefore not hanging down so low.
Others have tried this concept, so I am curious how they have improved on the design.
One company marketed a similar design with a back pack battery and quick motor removal to shuttle up and ride down legally to meet trail requirements.
The price is on the website (look under "shop", $1225 for the kit including battery AIR). The "drive" chainring is a Raceface 32T narrow/wide; I imagine since it's a "normal" four-bolt, other sizes are possible). The reduction ratio is 66:? since the other gear is behind a cover that won't be removed unless necessary.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The price is on the website (look under "shop", $1225 for the kit including battery AIR). The "drive" chainring is a Raceface 32T narrow/wide; I imagine since it's a "normal" four-bolt, other sizes are possible). The reduction ratio is 66:? since the other gear is behind a cover that won't be removed unless necessary.
So is a 28 an option?
Using the 32 when we consider the reduction ratio is it similar to having a 38? Or how many teeth?

·
Registered
10 Posts
So is a 28 an option?
Using the 32 when we consider the reduction ratio is it similar to having a 38? Or how many teeth?
The freewheel has a 104mm BCD, so 30T is the smallest. I've seen some adapters to go to smaller rings here: https://usamadeco.com . They move the chainline inboard by 5mm, but there are 2mm spacers that can be removed on our assembly to make it 3mm. So, it might fit depending on your frame clearance.

The final motor gear reduction stage is 18:66. It is optimized for a medium cadence. The front motor sprocket is a stock part available from various suppliers of #25 sprockets, so other sizes are available for those that are mechanically savvy enough to mess with the chain length and idler tension.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I emailed Revel Propulsion regarding if demo mountain bike rides are an option.
All I want to know is how it pedals especially on steep climbs in comparison to my Haibike with a Bosch CX.
They have not responded.
I will be in their backyard tomorrow afternoon so I hope they see this post and respond.
I am tempted to buy a Wire Peak just because Fezarri answers their phone and emails.
I wish all companies would communicate as well.
They do not have a phone number that I know of and maybe they did not get my email.
Highroad 2

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
All I want to know is how it pedals especially on steep climbs in comparison to my Haibike with a Bosch CX.
They have not responded.
I will be in their backyard tomorrow afternoon so I hope they see this post and respond.
I am tempted to buy a Wire Peak just because Fezarri answers their phone and emails.
They do not have a phone number that I know of and maybe they did not get my email.
Highroad 2
Basicaly some can restart going up hill, some need to point down.
Please let us known.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They have not responded.
Highroad 2
Are you Herman? It looks like there was a typo on your email address when you typed it into the website contact form, I didn't notice until you posted this. I blindly replied to [email protected] .. but it didn't bounce, strangely. Anyways, yes, tomorrow afternoon works. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Revel has been very responsive to my emails. I'm just starting the build, and will compare my Revel kit to both a BBS02-equipped system and a Haibike XDURO with a Yamaha motor.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Completed the install on a Kona Honzo today. The bike plus Revel system weighed 35.9 pounds (31.7 for the bike plus motor and 4.2 for the battery), and rode really well with so much of the weight "low-center". Power by seat of the pants measurement seemed akin to a Yamaha-equipped Haibike, and the motor tucks in nicely on this frame. Pictures in a couple of days.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Will this kit fit on a medium Trek Full Stache?

I think the bottom bracket is PF92, not PF100.

I assume drilling a hole in the frame will void the Trek warranty...

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Completed the install on a Kona Honzo today. The bike plus Revel system weighed 35.9 pounds (31.7 for the bike plus motor and 4.2 for the battery), and rode really well with so much of the weight "low-center". Power by seat of the pants measurement seemed akin to a Yamaha-equipped Haibike, and the motor tucks in nicely on this frame. Pictures in a couple of days.
You might have tne lightest e- bike yet. You must have began with a very light bicycle.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will this kit fit on a medium Trek Full Stache?
I think the bottom bracket is PF92, not PF100.
I assume drilling a hole in the frame will void the Trek warranty...
I usually recommend only installing on bikes with 68 or 73mm bb shells (or 100mm if its a fat bike)... but if you don't mind a wider Q-factor, you could install our fatbike kit with PF-to-threaded BB inserts. Q factor is about 32mm wider than normal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you have been waiting for a light weight, quiet, great performing, ~70 NM assist, D.I.Y. , minimal sized display/control, with a torque sensing bottom bracket at a reasonable cost, your wait is over.
I visited Paul at Revel yesterday to demo their class 1 mid drive assist.
Also to determine if I can fit the motor between the down and seat tube of a Santa Cruz Hightower, since the frame design would place the motor too low for my log and rock traversing riding.
I had a great experience meeting with Paul the owner and demo'ing his mid drive.
My impression of the Revel mid drive after a short ride is almost too good to be true.
My first concern was how quiet this system would be with the additional chain.
My impression was that it was quieter than my Bosch CX with 2000 miles on it.
The left hand display and control is very small, maybe too small to operate with gloves on.
It has 5 assist levels and level 5 seemed very similar to my Bosch CX.
I did not notice any power "run on" when you stop pedaling or "jerkiness" when you start to pedal.
From my limited experience with mid drives, this bike pedaled very natural.
My plan is to carry the battery in a back pack since in my application there is no other esthetic place to mount it.
At 4.2 pounds that should not be a deal breaker.
Their battery quick disconnect system to where a water bottle cage goes looks and functions great.
as mentioned in a previous post, a small hole needs to be drilled for the torque sensing wire.
It comes with a 380 wh battery so I would expect it to get 75% of the range of my current Bosch 500 wh battery assuming the Revel has the same efficiency.
I look forward to fos'l continuing ride reports and photos.
Highroad 2

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.