Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Riddler
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if people had stories or suggestions after returning to training after time off. Over a 3 month period, I injured myself, came back kind of strong, then had swine flu for a week and had two bikes stolen. The 3 month period saw me go from 15hrs a week and racing to inconsistent training, to mostly lifting, to two weeks of complete nothing.

Its been a struggle to even bang out 3hr endurance rides. Feel like a sorry sack of poop.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
3 months sounds like a good offseason. In the Friel book when you start up, you do endurance rides. Start at 45 min and work up. Stay in zone 3 or less. Add 10 minutes every couple rides.

Or, is the issue motivation? Plan a race or fun trip. Have fun. Racing makes a better excuse to have fun. You must have a new bike? You excited to ride it? Ride with friends. Have a couple beers after.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
It hurts doesn't it.

Don't push it will take time. Avoid serious intensity for the first three weeks, you don't need it. You will improve by just riding.

After three weeks you will have your legs under you and should be able to start adding intensity again.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would start off with low intensity but ride as many miles as you can without hurting yourself. When i say low intensity, i mean don't go hard enough to get off the saddle. You want easy high rpms, and a decent amount of time on the bike.

I wouldn't start messing around with hard intensity for atleast another month.

Good luck!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I was off for about 2 months, just getting back at it now. When I go for a road training ride, I'm so slow and that makes it even more boring. I haven't quite crossed the point where exercise/training feels good yet.

As soon as the trails are almost dry enough, it rains again, so no mtbing. Been putting in some full days of trail building though, that seems to help the cardio endurance a little.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Kaparzo said:
Just wondering if people had stories or suggestions after returning to training after time off. Over a 3 month period, I injured myself, came back kind of strong, then had swine flu for a week and had two bikes stolen. The 3 month period saw me go from 15hrs a week and racing to inconsistent training, to mostly lifting, to two weeks of complete nothing.

Its been a struggle to even bang out 3hr endurance rides. Feel like a sorry sack of poop.
Your account of riding sounds exactly like what I experienced going from a well-conditioned, sponsored rock climber, to enthused biking noob. After a summer of mostly riding and little training for rock climbing, I found that my motivation for climbing gradually waned to the point where I was so weak at climbing that I never truly got back into training for my former passion.

Biking seems to have replaced climbing as my true passion, even though I am not as talented as a cylist as I was a climber. I think that a truly motivated person would have the drive to resume training towards their former level. Perhaps it is time for you to let go of riding for a while and try something new.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Put in 4 days of pedaling in a row, already feeling a little stronger. Its like the legs are starting to remember. And after each time, motivation for the next times come a little easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts