Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll tell my story and hope for some good input

I am 39 yrs old, 6'1", 215 lbs. Formerly raced mtn bikes in late 80's and rode religiously (minimum 100 miles every week for several years, mostly Slingshot mtn bike, some Epic Allez road) until about 8 yrs ago. I have decided I really miss riding and am looking to replace my '91 Slingshot. SInce I live in Utah, close to many mtn trails I am definitely looking at a rugged mtn bike but I also do a lot of long distance road rides

I am way behind on the current technology in bikes. What should I look for in a frame, brakes, tires, shocks, you name it? What are some bikes I should look at that fit my needs, age, body size, etc? Can you point me at any good articles or reviews? I wouldn't say money is no object but I am willing to spend whatever makes sense to get what I need and want, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Holy Carp... tall order...

I suspect you're not getting a bunch of answers as it's a tough question.

OK here goes. Everything from '91 is gone. Except the frame, and it's changed drastically.

IMHO, as a fellow older rider, I'd start by looking at bikes that will offer fun, smiles, good health, and racing capability on a sport level in Utah. I don't know which trails you ride or how hard, but have a look at bikes like Yeti 575, Specialized FSR 100 or 120 (mm fork travel up front). These are but two of a myriad of excellent bikes to check out. Disc brakes are a standard now, and offer lots of control you've never experienced. Some are lighter than Vbrakes/cantis.

Some tires can do double duty, they have very low rolling resistance so some road is possible, but none of the trail bikes today are really any good for road, just as a road bike would be suicide on a serious trail.

Good luck welcome back, Jim

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Welcome back

I was also out of biking for several years and got back into it about 1 1/2 years ago. Since then I have built up a new stable of bikes. I think you should probably be looking at full suspension with disc brakes. If I lived in Utah, I'd probably be looking for a 5in trail bike that was reasonably light for the epic rides. Lucky for you, pretty much every bike maker has a bike that fits this description. A few bikes to consider:

Titus Moto-lite (http://www.titusti.com/motolite.html)
Titus Switchblade (http://www.titusti.com/switchblade.html)
Turner 5-spot (http://www.turnerbikes.com/)
Yeti 575 (http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/575_raw.html)
Foes FXR (http://www.foesracing.com/)

Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome back

moblsv said:
I'll tell my story and hope for some good input

I am 39 yrs old, 6'1", 215 lbs. Formerly raced mtn bikes in late 80's and rode religiously (minimum 100 miles every week for several years, mostly Slingshot mtn bike, some Epic Allez road) until about 8 yrs ago. I have decided I really miss riding and am looking to replace my '91 Slingshot. SInce I live in Utah, close to many mtn trails I am definitely looking at a rugged mtn bike but I also do a lot of long distance road rides

I am way behind on the current technology in bikes. What should I look for in a frame, brakes, tires, shocks, you name it? What are some bikes I should look at that fit my needs, age, body size, etc? Can you point me at any good articles or reviews? I wouldn't say money is no object but I am willing to spend whatever makes sense to get what I need and want, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
moblsv,...

I am 51 yrs old, 5' 9", 155 lbs. I started riding in ,...oooooooo lets say 1964, (on a bike I built, trying to make a "Schwinn StingRay"),....(loved that bike BTW,...!!)
I got my first REAL bike in 1974, a "Campania", (road bike),...(which I still ride today). I dropped out of bicycling for about,......ooooooooo,...lets say 20 years. (I got hooked on motorcycles and my first "harley").
I got into MTB this past year (2004) for an additional activity to share with my kids.

I can appreciate your delimma, so much had changed since I was last riding it was like a totally new world. I started reading, searching for information, talking with others, found this site, read reviews, and spent a lot of time at LBS.

I finally chose "Specialized", I got a 2004 Rockhopper Comp, a Hardrock for my daughter and a Hardrock for my son. "Specialized" fit us the best, we liked the styles and colors and the quality of components included with each model.

(but I digress)

IMHO,...Go to your LBS, look around,...ask questions,....test ride as many as possible,....read reviews,...hang out at trail heads,...talk to people,.....and per your desires and riding style, you will then be able to determine which bike maunfacturer will have what YOU want, need, and desire. OR, with your experience, look at building one for yourself from the frame up, predicated upon all the information you were able to glean from others.

Many members here have their own personal preferences, (I being one as well,...I like Specialized). But I have found this site to be a wealth of information on all related subjects of which you have your questions, and hopefully you will find your answers here too.

Part of the MTB fun for me was the research/shopping/test riding, prior to the final purchase,....I hope it will be for you as well.

Good luck,...and again,...Welcome back

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all

I'm probably replying to myself here. Don't how the email works on these replys.

Thanks for all the input. I am leaning toward the build it myself idea. Start with a good frame and get to work. I have always been picky about the details in my bikes and never let a bike shop do the work, I just end up redoing it anyway. Crap. I guess I will need to update my tools as well, wont I? The biggest problem with catching up now is the being in the loop part. In college I had lots of friends who rode, several of us raced. I usually new about the latest stuff because somebody I knew was getting the stuff free from a sponsor as soon as it was available. I am going to hit several local shops, look around this great site, and get talking to some of my co-workers who ride and get a crash course on the past decade of advancement.

Happy Trails to all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
moblsv said:
I guess I will need to update my tools as well, wont I? .
moblsv,...

Oh yeah,...!!

crank puller
bottom bracket tools
freewheel hub tools
chain whip
and others pending upon which components you finally decide to use for your build.

IMHO,...decide upon yer build components first,....den,...git whut tools ya need.

I will suggest "Park Tools" first. Good quality, longevity, warranty, etc,...etc,...

(then again,...I might be a-preachin' to da choir),......*wink*

Enjoy the build.

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.