Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shiggy said:
How 'bout Return of the Terminaut?
I heard that you were stirrin' up trouble with some wacked out bike builds so thought I'd join in... but it's gonna take a lot of work. ;)

DDawg said:
I thought you had fallen off for a while...
You already had a lefty on the Merlin, no?
Yeah - that's the huckin' Merlin. If this new project works out I'm going to end up having a Lefty on the Duo as well as one of my 29"ers. :D

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DDawg said:
Nice! Yeah, that ledge in Sedona makes for a nice wheelie drop. You need the ML-8! I just recently put a DUC 32 on the Spot.
Gotta tell ya... I love my RFX / Marzocchi combo for that type of riding (with an ML-8). How do you like the DUC? I seriously thought about it for the Duo, but decided against it in the end.

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shiggy said:
Yeah. I noticed the reducing rings for the steer tube.
The top piece is a reducing ring, but the lower is part of the steerer tube. I'm having custom steerer tubes made by a local machinist.

shiggy said:
Do you need some custom decals for it?
I can do 'em!
Heheh. That's pretty good. I could always use custom decals. I'll have to contact you when I get off my arse and think of something worthy of a decal.

donkekus said:
Very nice... :D

Keep us posted on the build...

Wonder how much it would cost to get clamps made that were 1.125"...
Drawing up clamps is too difficult for my feeble computer skills, but if someone had the design I could easily shop it around "da hood". Fortunately, Huntington Beach seems to be a haven for machine shops.

Here's the tube tightly pressed into a Lefty DLR lower clamp (a King crown race mounted but not visible).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lefty on my DISS

I've been running a Lefty on my Bianchi DISS for about six months. I modified a Lefty, very similar in the way that you did yours.
I really like the Lefty on my bike, I tried a couple of other forks, but the Lefty seems to be a perfect match for my bike.
The only concern that I have is that Im sure my frame (and most others) are not built to accept doule crown forks, but so far, so good.
I'll post a photo of my bike soon.

·
Armor by Band-Aid
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1SPEEDDRIVE said:
I've been running a Lefty on my Bianchi DISS for about six months. I modified a Lefty, very similar in the way that you did yours.
I really like the Lefty on my bike, I tried a couple of other forks, but the Lefty seems to be a perfect match for my bike.
The only concern that I have is that Im sure my frame (and most others) are not built to accept doule crown forks, but so far, so good.
I'll post a photo of my bike soon.
Yeah - post a shot of your bike when you get a chance as I'd love to see it. I know a few others on these forums have also done similar mods to retrofit a Lefty onto standard 1 1/8" head tubes and that's where I've drawn my inspiration from.

As for your concern over the double crown, I'm also wondering about that. I tend to ride aggressively so any weaknesses will surface before long. IMHO, the Lefty is one of the best-tracking forks made so it's worth going through the effort to get it on more of my bikes. :D

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
nice!
i am still rockin' the headshok on my merlin SS. love it for the low weight and tracks sooo well. a lefty would be nice, but the carbon leftys are not cheap. i have ridden one on a rented bike on vacation and it did ride soooo nicely.

great to see you posting again with the interesting creative bike builds!

maybe see those clamps in the flesh at SSWC05?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.