Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got rained out last Saturday - let us hope for better this Saturday (Feb 3).

Meet at Passion Trail Bikes at 9:15 to carpool or at Skeggs Point Parking Lot at 10:00 am (plan to be ready to ride by 10:15). We will see what trails are open (there are a few seasonal closures) and make a good loop so we get a 2 to 3 hour ride in. Expect some good technical trails and a fair amount of climbing. Bring appropriate food and water, and necessary equipment (helmets are required).

Directions: Skeggs Point is a CalTrans parking lot above the town of Woodside on Skyline Boulevard (Highway 35) between Highway 92 and Woodside Road (Highway 84).
- from the north, go up Highway 92 to Skyline Blvd. Make a left onto Southbound Skyline and go for about 9 miles. Skeggs point is the vista point on the left hand side of the road - you'll see a rock retaining wall there. You'll also see a no left turn sign, which you should abide by. Drive about a quarter mile further (to where the road straightens out) to the pull outs, and make a U-turn and return to the parking lot.
- from the south, Take Highway 84 (Woodside Road) west to the "Skylonda" intersection with Skyline Blvd (hwy 35). Turn right onto Skyline Blvd, and take it north for about 4 miles. The "Skegg's Point" parking lot is on the right and is labeled with signs saying "Vista Point".

Weather reports says we should be fine, but should they be wrong - rain on day of ride or heavy rain the day before will cancel. I will post here by 8am if we are canceling (no post means we are riding!).

Need info, contact me through my profile.

·
EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
520 Posts
any chance that you'll get Blue Blossom into the mix? it's difficult to get in a decent loop in Skegg's with all the trail closures, and BB means having to hit the road for a small distance, but what sweet singletrack =)

·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
feetsnofail said:
any chance that you'll get Blue Blossom into the mix? it's difficult to get in a decent loop in Skegg's with all the trail closures, and BB means having to hit the road for a small distance, but what sweet singletrack =)
Was thinking of doing so. Basic route was in gate 1, across top to Gate 4, on road to gate 5, over to top of Blue Blossom. Down to Gordon Mill, up Cross Over, up Manzanita, and then a decision. If people are up for it, down Resolution and up ECdM Creek. If not, head out.

Loll said:
Anyone rode up there lately? What is open right now?
The district has information online at http://openspace.org/preserves/pr_madera.asp, along with a map of the closures at http://openspace.org/preserves/downloads/ECdM_Seasonal_Closures.pdf

G

·
SS:

I was up there the other day. Conditions are primo and the route suggested is a good one. One variation would be to do: Gate 1 to Blue Hair (Sierra Morena), to Gate 4 to Gate 4.5 Steam Donkey (aka: 10/21) to Gordon Mill to Gate 4 to Bear Gulch to Gate 5 to Heart Pop to Lawrence Creek ( remember 14.9 MPH) to Blue Blossom aka:Gary's Short Cut aka:39 to IMBA Bypass to Tunnel of Love to Blue Blossom to Springboard to Gordon Mill, etc.

On Blue Blossom ceck out how nice the trail is this year.

Have Fun I will be with the elves at Demo.

·
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
John Finch said:
I was up there the other day. Conditions are primo and the route suggested is a good one. One variation would be to do: Gate 1 to Blue Hair (Sierra Morena), to Gate 4 to Gate 4.5 Steam Donkey (aka: 10/21) to Gordon Mill to Gate 4 to Bear Gulch to Gate 5 to Heart Pop to Lawrence Creek ( remember 14.9 MPH) to Blue Blossom aka:Gary's Short Cut aka:39 to IMBA Bypass to Tunnel of Love to Blue Blossom to Springboard to Gordon Mill, etc.
Interesting suggestion, but some of the folks on the ride have to work day jobs. So your suggestion may be a bit more than they would want to do. Not everyone is able to spend their time driving around the US and Canada in their RV and find the place where the trails are good and the temperature set at 70F...

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
You must be a BEAST! I'll meet you guys in the parking lot at Skeggs.

Michael

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
working...Ride tomorrow.

How was the ride today? I got pulled into work last minute. Miss the ride.
Planning on doing it tomorrow (Sunday). What trail did u guys do today? How was the condition? Wet and muddy at some trails?

Any pictures? Afterall, a picture tells thousand words. (of how wet or dry it is up there anyways):thumbsup:

·
1,247 Posts
Loll said:
How was the ride today? I got pulled into work last minute. Miss the ride.
Planning on doing it tomorrow (Sunday). What trail did u guys do today? How was the condition? Wet and muddy at some trails?

Any pictures? Afterall, a picture tells thousand words. (of how wet or dry it is up there anyways):thumbsup:
I say u quit ur job.

jk.

ride was awesome, trail was in great shape, had about 20 riders out there which lead to fun times. I think peter was taking pictures.. he'll probably post them at some point.

-austin (red intense)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
unfluid one said:
I say u quit ur job.

jk.

ride was awesome, trail was in great shape, had about 20 riders out there which lead to fun times. I think peter was taking pictures.. he'll probably post them at some point.
Hey unfluid, guess u wont be up for a second run at Skegg tomorrow right? I plan to do it early, u might still be back in time for the bbq grill and the game man.

Yah, i agree with your first comment....nothing suck more than knowing everyone's out riding, and i am not.

·
MarkyMark
1,352 Posts
Pete, thanks again for organizing the ride. The route we took was great!

Thanks for encouraging me to keep going when I wanted to bail early. I was having fun, but I was struggling to keep my breakfast down after being off the bike for too long. I would have lost it on the el Corte de Madera climb out. I'll be ready next time.

Mark/Litespeed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.