Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to update the crappy old Rockshock Indy forks on a spare bike to something that actually works and is a bit better/lighter but I have a problem. I just realised that i'm running old (but good) 7-speed XT brake/shifter combos that won't take V-brakes. I have to use old cantilever brakes (this 7spd stuff, including shifter/der/cassette/rear wheel hub is all in good nick so I want to use it - plus its only gonna be a spare bike).

This means that I can't use SIDs etc as I need the support on the fork brace for the cable housing, (like the fork brace older forks had - mag21s, Manitou II). The bike geometry won’t take more than 75mm forks, and 63mm is probably better, it’s a 1-1/8” steerer.

My question for you fork boffins is what would be the best/newest suitable susp fork that still has the cable housing post on the forkbrace?

OR

Could I use the Indy lowers which have the cable mount on the fork brace and fit them onto say SID stanchions/crown/steerer assy. I believe even the Indys were mag castings like the better forks of the time – Judy etc, could be wrong though.

ORR

Does someone know of mods I could perform to the old Rockshock Indys to have them function better (or at least actually function…). I remember the Englund kits but from memory they only fitted the indy C and XC. Mine is the lowest poverty version ‘Indy’.

I've had a suggestion of buying old "high end" Judys and rebuilding them. These would probably do the job well but I don't think that parts are available for the early Judys. Thoughts?

C’mon people this is a good brainteaser if nothing else.

(I know I could junk the lot but that’s not the point)

BTW I’m in Australia, so am a bit limited with parts availability.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh yes the brake widget. That has been mentioned to me before though the people i've spoken to here don't have them. The last lbs I went into taday thought they might have a rebuild kit for the Indys "somewhere out the back". They are getting back to me. If the kit is cheap I might just rebuild em, they'll still work crap, but at least they'll work.

I had another look at the forks they are the Indy C model, which from memory was the poverty option.

Thanks again

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Why can't you just buy a newer shifter/brake lever combo and a Vee brake for the front? Since it's for the front derailleur, it shouldn't matter what shifter you use as long as it's shimano or compatible, right?

The actuation ratio (is that even a term?) for shimano front derailleurs hasn't changed at all in the last several years has it? I had trigger shifters/brake lever combo's on one of my first bikes that came with canti's.

So I'm thinking that would work with something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/SHIMANO-SIS-fro...205779164QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

He could still use his same front derailleur and throw in a vee brake for a new new fork. It would beat wasting money on a crappy fork that didn't work well in the first place. Or if worse comes to worse, would this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Manitou...ryZ58084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.