Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2002 RM Blizzard with all original parts sitting in the garrage. I have been away from the mountain bike scene and would like to get back into it. Was wondering if I could upgrage the Blizzard with new 27.5 wheels and other modern parts. Or should I just get a new trail bike.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
A new trail bike is so far ahead of that bike. Not bashing your blizzard, awesome bike but trail bikes now are designed for the trails of today.

Newer bikes are much more capable in terms of performance, comfort & most importantly, safety.

Newer geometry puts the rider on a much more stable platform, not like the over the bar pseudo road bike geometry of the past. That being said, old bikes make for great pavement pounders & around the towners.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
not like the over the bar pseudo road bike geometry of the past. That being said, old bikes make for great pavement pounders & around the towners.
I would not describe the RMB Blizzards as having pseudo road geo, certainly not the LLS geo of today certainly but also not a road bike. I might go as far as saying that I think the compact geo of RMB may have influenced compact road frame design. So, maybe it's the other way 'round.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
I actually picked up a nice '01 RMB last year at the LBS consignment sale for a beater/"gravel" bike. Had a number of decent upgrades (Crossmax wheels, newer XT cranks and drivetrain, etc). Still only cost me $150.

I'd say it's worth riding as is, but no way would I dump a bunch of (or any) money into upgrading it.

Also, FWIW, you can't change wheel sizes with rim brakes either.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Also, FWIW, you can't change wheel sizes with rim brakes either.
I believe the '02 frame is able to run either disc or rim. My '01 Hammer, basically the same bike but with 725 instead of 853 tubing that was sold as a complete, has the ability to run either. The issue is whether or not the rim brake has enough adjustment to get the pads to the 650b rim and your right that most do not have the range. However, the Paul Motolite can be used on brake posts for a 26 wheel and reach the rim for a 650b wheel.

Also, sweet deal for an old school Blizzard... I paid more for both of my RMBs, but it was a long time ago. 8 years since I bought my Blizzard frame which prompted me to open an account on the site and 15 since I bought the Hammer. Things have changed a lot since.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
I believe the '02 frame is able to run either disc or rim. My '01 Hammer, basically the same bike but with 725 instead of 853 tubing that was sold as a complete, has the ability to run either. The issue is whether or not the rim brake has enough adjustment to get the pads to the 650b rim and your right that most do not have the range. However, the Paul Motolite can be used on brake posts for a 26 wheel and reach the rim for a 650b wheel.

Also, sweet deal for an old school Blizzard... I paid more for both of my RMBs, but it was a long time ago. 8 years since I bought my Blizzard frame which prompted me to open an account on the site and 15 since I bought the Hammer. Things have changed a lot since.
Ah - didn't know they could run both brake types at that point. Pulled up a pic that showed rim brakes, but didn't look close enough to see if it had disc mounts.

I was pretty psyched to score the bike, always liked them. Couldn't pass it up. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.