Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been talking with the Mt Shasta Ski Park Manager and we are now kicking around the idea of a Kamikaze style DH race ridden on 20+ year old bikes. (there would also be an open class for any age bike)

The Ski Park has two road sections that are sketchy, fast and loose.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2552394981

Additionally there could be a vintage MTB show with prizes during the event.

So whose got an old bike and the nerves of steel to use it?

Personally, I have a first generation Heckler with some Hanebrink forks, a Proflex 856, Trek Y-33 and even an Old Marin FRS with Manitou 3 shocks front and rear to name a few possible rides. I knew there was some reason I've held onto these relics for all this time.

Attachments

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
DO IT! Also the MegaKami mass-start race was fun at Mammoth last year. Too bad the Kamikaze Bike Games is no longer happening. Caroline, who did a great job with the the event no longer works there.

·
Registered
885 Posts
That is relatively new stuff there, can we go older back to say '86? I'm in then. Keyesville looks fun but driving that further from BC makes it tough, maybe you could combine this into the Lemurian somehow? I know the two locations aren't that close but I'd love to do a DH and XC race all over again on rigid like it's supposed to be!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is relatively new stuff there, can we go older back to say '86? I'm in then. Keyesville looks fun but driving that further from BC makes it tough, maybe you could combine this into the Lemurian somehow? I know the two locations aren't that close but I'd love to do a DH and XC race all over again on rigid like it's supposed to be!
The bikes are quite young indeed. I typically sold my bike to pay for next years model most of my 80's-90's bikes ended up on the sales floor. The 4 listed all have unique stories why I still have them.

There certainly would be a retro rigid class, and perhaps a pre 1990 class.

Unfortunately, The Lemurian is in October and by then the Ski Park will be closed for their Summer season.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody needed a 9000, unless they were a very very bad boy or girl............
ahh the dreaded catapult bike. I once did some sub-contract work at k-mart when they were in bankruptcy (2000-2002ish) and they sold a bike there that reminded me of that 9000 model and I'm not making this up, the name of the bike was in fact the "catapult", made by dynacraft with the equator brand name.

I know the shock placement is different, but the chain stays and the name evoked images of the Trek at the time.

I understand the K-mart bike buyer might not know that much about bicycles, but who would buy a product designed to sit on that is named after a device that was designed to throw things off of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I knew a guy in NC who was a team/test rider for Trek back in the day. He had one of the very first prototype 9000's. I remember thinking at the time, 'why would anyone ever need suspension?'
My first full suspension bike I purchased in the fall of 1992, it was the 1993 Marin FRS with Manitou 2 forks front and rear with a steel frame. I wish I kept that one.

I built the bikes for Marin for the CABDA bike show in Chicago and at the end of the show they sold the displays. Mine didn't come with decals and the bars and stem couldn't be used because they didn't have time to heat treat them I was told. It was the 1st one they had in stock to sell and it had traveled around the world on exhibit. The next year I did the same and picked up the Team model shown above.

I remember rolling around races and I could hear people say as I rolled by, "look at that custom merlin". It was painted Ti gray hence the confusion and certainly nobody was used to seeing such a bike.

The first day I rode it, I thought, "How can anyone ride without suspension?"

·
Registered
885 Posts
Many thanks BikeStore, I appreciate the response. Just saw this AM that indeed the Lemurian is in October, alright I can take that. Better than late April or May as we know.

I'll be driving down from BC to do this new course and then headed to my home county of Trinity for a quick visit. too bad we can't a DH old school race at Lemurian, can't win 'em all.

Last, 50K absolutely rocks. That Huffy was indeed the first suspension bike I ever saw, and yes it was in Hayfork in 1977. Thank you for finding that!

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
This might be the first rear 'suspension' bike ever made? 1977 Huffy.

OMG - I have that frame and 'shock' with slightly different position stickers hanging out in my room-off-the-kitchen. If anyone wants to try to restore it let me know. It has the fork and crank and bars and saddle installed. Basically everything (+ thick patina of grime) but the wheels and fenders . I don't thinks it's branded Huffy though. I'll look tonight. It ain't ever gonna go anywhere on my watch. Edit - crap, now I'm thinking of getting it running!!

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
OMG - I have that frame and 'shock' with slightly different position stickers hanging out in my room-off-the-kitchen. If anyone wants to try to restore it let me know. It has the fork and crank and bars and saddle installed. Basically everything (+ thick patina of grime) but the wheels and fenders . I don't thinks it's branded Huffy though. I'll look tonight. It ain't ever gonna go anywhere on my watch. Edit - crap, now I'm thinking of getting it running!!
Here's a good page on them:

https://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/huffy/?model=1297

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On topic, I just found this video gem:
I own this on vhs and was surprised i couldn't find it on youtube, perhaps the host or sponsor has something to do with owner rights issues.

Many classic lines, but this one is among the best, "You've got to put yourself in my shoe" -Ken Foraker

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Good stuff! Apparently I have the Free Spirit version of the Monoshock sold through Sears and possibly made by Murray, whereas Huffy made the Huffy version (duh) and another moniker that escapes me now (was reading some Wiki stuff late last night). Clearly the same bike so there must have been Huffy/Murray canoodling going on. I didn't bother to pull it down off the ceiling yet, but here is a picture of the Free Spirit sticker. Please don't report me to the Hoarders TV show- my wife is not pleased with what's going on in the back room and this is just the tip of the iceberg! I have a set of Motomag II cast alu 'snowflake' wheels (made in Chatsworth CA) that would be sick but the rear hub needs a rebuild.

Red Carmine Iron Pipe Metal

Automotive tire Rim Bottle Automotive wheel system Iron

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
On topic, I just found this video gem:
I own this on vhs and was surprised i couldn't find it on youtube, perhaps the host or sponsor has something to do with owner rights issues.

Many classic lines, but this one is among the best, "You've got to put yourself in my shoe" -Ken Foraker
OH damn - that's crazy. Love all the old Kami footage. It's like prehistoric Friday Fails by dirt roadies. Fearless pioneers! And look at Rob Roll.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good stuff! Apparently I have the Free Spirit version of the Monoshock sold through Sears and possibly made by Murray, whereas Huffy made the Huffy version (duh) and another moniker that escapes me now (was reading some Wiki stuff late last night). Clearly the same bike so there must have been Huffy/Murray canoodling going on.
Chances are the bike is a Huffy. "Free Spirit" was a name that I presume was owned by sears, much like the "Open Road" brand that was sold at Montgomery Wards. I have built many of the free spirit branded bikes and as I recall, they were built by different manufacturers depending on the model and year. In the early 90's free spirits were made by Roadmaster. If it looks like a huffy and rides like a huffy, most likely it's a huffy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.